Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
224 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 222

John Sauser, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: engine balance
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Bart(bartley),
First posts, so to PackardInfo, but sorry to hear of your problem. And, I invite you to include your '37 120 in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2015/9/29 15:25
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
VERY UNlikely to be "balance problem". I can't see nor hear the problem and your description is extremely brief with little detail.

HOWEVER, first check motor mounts to make sure that they are actyaly insulating the engine from the rest of the car. Chek the EXHAUST to make sure that the exhaust system is not touching the any part of the car and chek the exh. pipe hangers to make sure the rubber in the brackets is not gone bad.

Chek the harmonic balaancer to make sure it is not loose. (it is NOT really a balancer at all but rather a torsional shok absorber for the crank).

What does the person that rebuilt the engine say about the "balance problem" or is he using the excuse that the problem exists because u did not have it "balaanced".???

Posted on: 2015/9/29 17:44
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Also chek the spark plug wire routing. Make sure the plug wires on the right plugs.

any engine with more than 8 cylinders is very sensitive to plug wire routing. Also they can start and run just fine (but a little ruff) if two plug wires are on the wrong plugs.

Write down the firing order. BE SURE THAT NO TWO CONSECUTIVE FIREING CYLINDERS have plug wires that TOUCH EACH OTHER AT ANY POINT. Need at least 1/2 inch between any two consecutive fireing plug wires.

Posted on: 2015/9/29 17:52
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Motiv8
See User information
I'm new to computers and this site but not new to engines of all types and configurations, including many standard plus modified 12s and Su8s. Often people that don't understand engine balance will profess that it doesn't exist or isn't necessary during a rebuild. I could post volumes but there's some good info, for those interested, on Google. Some of the entries are amateur-ish videos. I suggest to Google Balancing rotating Mass, see couple pic on right of page. Google Reciprocating Balance Force. Also, an in depth study is given by BTI 202. I can emphatically stress that balancing is very important and is about the most cost effective procedures during engine work.
David

Posted on: 2015/10/24 5:05
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Motiv8
See User information
Reading this thread I noticed "neutral balance flywheel". Those still need to be balanced. External and internal engine balance doesn't seem to be understood either. I can tell you that percentage wise the clutch DISC is almost always the most out of balance part and is usually overlooked. A V8 and other configurations are very critical to reciprocating wt changes. Not so much w/ the inlines as long as the new pistons w/ pins are all within a couple grams. David

Posted on: 2015/10/24 6:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Yeah. ok. Sure. As if all of the millions of engines that have been overhauled BY DEALER NETWORKS or all of the many different manufatureres of cars and trucks over the last 100 years, were all sent out for precision balancing.

Is there a any flat rate manual by GM, F or C or any other mfg'er that allows for anykind of balancing for engine overhauls done by franchised car dealers under WARRANTY WORK??

Whats next??? line boring mains bearings that use Insert shell type bearings??

Posted on: 2015/10/24 8:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I saw way too many big Buick V8's pulled apart at 8am in the morninng, COMPLETELY OVERHAULED and out the door by 5pm the next day. I worked in the Buick dealers service bay DIRECTLY NEXT TO the heavy engine mechanic. NEVER once did any piece of that engine leave the dealership.

All of this engine "balancing" is a crock of shit.

Posted on: 2015/10/24 8:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The components of the engine are balanced from the FACTORY.

Now i suppose if one is attempting to mix a lot of misc parts from misc and varied engines into somekind of a proto-type or experimental engine then yes, some balancing issues could arise.

But using specific parts made and designed for a specific engine then not "rebalancing" is needed.

Posted on: 2015/10/24 8:43
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Motiv8
See User information
Mr home away from home,
As a matter of fact blocks and caps are routinely linebored first and then the inserts line bored second. It was the only way engs of the past were done and are still today. I realize I'm new here but it certainly appears any REALLY professional help I'd like to share here is intruding on YOUR site. Sorry, I'll leave. David

Posted on: 2015/10/24 12:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day David(Motiv8),
to PackardInfo but don't leave after just getting here! Please Don't be dissuaded by one vocal member, Keith(PackardV8) voicing his opinions, there are many more here who would eagerly look forward to your knowledge and experiences being shared for the greater good!

And if you have a Packard/s, hope so, I invite you to include it/them in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2015/10/24 16:32
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved