Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
207 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 205

Ozstatman, HH56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1941 Packard 110
Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
I am not well versed on the prewar cars but just the obvious. Is the diff an open diff? or posi? Is the other wheel turning backwards while you do this? Are you doing the procedure alone? Could the spider and side gears be messing with you? Is there a fill plug or other where you can see the ring gear? Mark it with yellow rear gear pattern setup grease and do the same verifing the ring gear rotation then you will be sure.

Posted on: 2015/2/2 9:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No, it's not a "posi". they didn't come on the scene until after the Korean War.

As to multiplying by 2, trust me. Think about how the differential works and the spider gears and it should become evident! Hopefully someone else will take the time to explain it to you, I've got fresh now to shovel!

Posted on: 2015/2/2 9:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
One thing I'm curious about is the choice of it likely being a 4.1. With the 2.12 result times 2 why would the ratio be the 4.1 (4.09 listed as a stock ratio) rather than another stock of 4.3.

The calculated result would seem to be closer to the higher ratio than lower or do the differential gears do something else that would make one automatically choose the lower of two close options.

Posted on: 2015/2/2 10:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
HH, I guess a more precise measurement is needed, making sure first to remove all the slack from the various components. I wasn't aware a 4.3 was available so I was just guessing at a 4.1 (4.09) and assuming (I know, I know...) some imprecision in the measurement.

Posted on: 2015/2/2 10:12
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

atprod
See User information
Ok, so I am a moron. It's 4.3:1 . Helpful hint for the impaired such as myself-if the result seems to be about half of what is expected, rotate BOTH wheels simultaneously and count the corresponding number of rotations of the driveshaft.

Posted on: 2015/2/3 22:08
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved