Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
215 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 215

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 400 treadle-vac failure
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Given the fact we all have computers, keeping a log of all we do is a good idea - wish I'd thought of it. The one I have in my head is not as good as it once was.

Posted on: 2015/5/10 10:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
TroyT Quote:
I ran into Ross and a few others last week at our local show and I was ask why I have not been updating lately. I said I thought this forum was for us to share and help each other out and that I have had my fill of the Trolls milling around constantly telling you how dumb you are or your not doing it "their" way. Not that I don't like different perspectives but the same agenda's crammed down your throat gets old. Glad to see I'm not the only one who has felt that.

I don't know which way to take this:

1. "Trolls milling around" are those that insist on rebuilding (or having rebuilt) the BTV.

-or-

2. "Trolls milling around" are those that strongly advocate replacing the BTV with a modern dual-master & booster.

Please clarify.

Craig

Posted on: 2015/5/10 10:45
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Lets not " take it" any way. Certainly not offer up any personal attacks. Lets agree that there are several different solutions and offer up honest info from past experiences that have worked and that modification and rebuilt original components can be solutions depending on preference and driving habits. Lets just keep things safe and hopefully dot approved.

Posted on: 2015/5/10 11:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Howard, the fact that only the right rear failed led me to think the brake hose in the rear had caused the problem. I have known brake hoses to cause individual problems in the past. I had driven out to Ohio with no problems - a distance of 130 miles. The brakes failed not long after leaving for home. I was still in Ohio. The return spring failed allowing the primary shoe to fall down against the drum. I think the spring failed because of the heat. I will be interested in Ross' autopsy. As an aside, the tube failure caused me to seal all my wire wheels so that I can run tubeless tires without the tubes.

Posted on: 2015/5/10 12:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
CustomClipper55 Quote:
Lets not " take it" any way. Certainly not offer up any personal attacks. Lets agree that there are several different solutions and offer up honest info from past experiences that have worked and that modification and rebuilt original components can be solutions depending on preference and driving habits. Lets just keep things safe and hopefully dot approved.

Well, "Kumbaya, y'all" ('blandly pious and naively optimistic' Urban Dictionary top definition).

My early professional career was aerospace (NASA Apollo and USAF). If one made a design, engineering, installation, operational or maintenance error on man-rated equipment, the (space- or air-) craft might crash and crew might get injured or die.

A "mission critical" man-rated system on a car is certainly the brakes. No amount of rebuild or repair or maintenance of an old, flawed design (of the BTV) will fix it.

I will continue my evangelism on this subject despite some pleas for us to "all just get along."

Craig

Posted on: 2015/5/10 12:56
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Randy, I for one will respect your wishes are remain otherwise silent on this, awaiting the post-mortem from Ross.

Posted on: 2015/5/10 13:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
I for one will be waiting for the teardown and part failure determination. Randy does do things differently most people with treadle-vac failure have no brakes he has too much. We all who have old cars like living in the danger zone. We spend more money than we plan on restoration or upkeep as part of the hobby. If we are to update old cars to current big brother required systems. The list would be quite long Seat belts, energy absorbing steering posts, dual master cylinders , side guard beam, energy absorbing bumpers, 4 way flashers, non glare dashes, tire pressure monitors, buzzers to monitor seat belt and keys in ignition. The safe way would be remove manufacturer name and install it on a new government approved safe mobile. Or buy trailer and make your car a trailer queen. I have done a lot of stupid things in my life driving older car is not one of them in my view.
Old cars are like picking your pet or spouse we all have different views as to what is right or wrong if it works for you its the right one. The one that's right for you will more than likely not be my choice. The short version respect those who do it different from you. Its still a free country

Posted on: 2015/5/10 14:04
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mike james
See User information
Does any one know a good rebuilder in the pacific northwest?Or is sending my treadle vac to ross my best option. would like contact info for Ross also. Thanks Mike.

Posted on: 2015/5/11 0:34
53 Clipper- Sold
50 touring sedan- Sold
55 Patrician- Sold
56 Patrician- Sold
55 Clipper Super Panama parts car- Sold
55 Clipper Super Panama
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Though not exactly in the Pacific Northwest, in addition to Ross and Ed Strain in the east you might consider Midwest Power Products in Morris, IL., 877-966-0550. Myself and others used them some years ago for Treadle-Vacs but no recent experience so no recommendation either way. See their advertisement in Hemmings under Services Offered.

Posted on: 2015/5/11 11:24
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
In regards to an APP to track everything. This is the one I use.

aCar - Car Management, Mileage

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zonewalker.acar

It let you track fills-ups, and auto calculates your MPG based on that trip. It also lets you track service records and you can set reminders when service items are due.

Also you can track various car related expenses. Lots of options.

Posted on: 2015/5/11 12:29
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved