Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
232 user(s) are online (163 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 232

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Power Brake, 55 Patrician
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Interesting. Could you give us the diameter of the VW master piston or the specific application you used and do the brakes function adequately in an emergency without having any vacuum assist -- say if the engine died and reserve ran out does the car still stop. That emergency stop is another of the reasons the pedal ratio has been increased but the modern masters used have all been fairly large diameter.

Posted on: 2015/7/8 17:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Don_J
See User information
Cyl I used was a DORMAN M90547 (Rock Auto $19.36USD). As I said in my previous post the diameter is 17mm (0.67").

EDIT
Now, out of habit I give myself a lot of room to stop. My first classic is my 1967 Galaxie with a 390 4V. It has a lot of go but not much stop (originally manual brakes).

Posted on: 2015/7/8 17:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks for the Dorman application and apologies for my missing the piston diameter the first time around. How the emergency stop compares to a BTV is still a question though.

There has been some speculation the narrow diameter cylinder would work with the original ratio but as far as I know you are the first to try it. A definitive answer as to how well everything functions under regular and adverse conditions might go a long way toward others adapting your approach.

Posted on: 2015/7/8 17:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Don_J
See User information
I havn't had any adverse conditions yet so I couldn't tell you, honestly. It seems to work great so far, if a bit touchy (tap the brakes and put your head thru the windshield sometimes). Biggest reason I went with the VW after some talking to a friend of mine who has about 6 of them from the 60's is that not only the volumetric ration is close but the replacement parts is $20 compared to the rebuild cost of the BTV. It's also a more modern positive displacement design, without that pesky compensation valve that delaminates. I bought my car on 30Mar14 and have maybe 500mi on it since, so only time will tell.

Posted on: 2015/7/8 17:55
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Don_J
See User information
Just adding photos of my setup. I'm not pushing anyone this direction, just putting out ideas.

Attach file:

jpg  (65.88 KB)
86266_559dacf09b075.jpg 911X660 px

jpg  (121.99 KB)
86266_559dad00d25f7.jpg 902X770 px

jpg  (89.21 KB)
86266_559dad0c5ed32.jpg 1280X678 px

jpg  (77.91 KB)
86266_559dad19c69b4.jpg 1225X843 px

Posted on: 2015/7/8 18:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That stock look is most definitely what people are looking for in a modern conversion. It might be interesting if you had time to disconnect the vacuum source at the manifold or check valve, plug the port and then tried the brakes just to see how well they work without assist.

Posted on: 2015/7/8 18:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Don_J
See User information
I have a lot of work to do on it first (all wheels need adjustment and the left front wheel cyl needs replacing) Maybe if I'm feeling brave I'll try it.

Posted on: 2015/7/8 19:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
Don- Nice application. Please keep the Forum posted on how it works for multiple applications....and if possible with the vacuum disconnected to address Howard's concern on the 1/1 ratio.
There are many of us who would love to replace the BTV
with something modern. Obviously the dual master cylinder would be a bonus, but having new parts and original pedal location would be a big step in the right direction.
If you elect to be Howard's test pilot please do it on a flat surface at low speed and nothing to afford a sudden stop....like a bus. LOL
Thanks for the post and specifics.
RJR

Posted on: 2015/7/8 19:26
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Don_J
See User information
1.68:1 ratio actually, but yeah I'll keep in touch as far as how this works out. The dual cylinder was 19mm and the length would interfere with the frame in it's stock location, leading to Craig's extensive rework.

Posted on: 2015/7/8 19:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
BRILLIANT!!!! Absolutely brilliant. Thanks for sharing.

U very well may have just made yourself a place in Packard history.

Posted on: 2015/7/8 20:14
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved