Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
221 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 221

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Smoke from exhaust after idling
Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
As I understood the clunker program, you could turn in your car for cash and they would pulverize it. I do not think that the authorities can confiscate a car but I do know that in many states a car that fails inspection is denied the right to drive until it is fixed and that is as it should be. If any car violates inspection then it should not be driven for the good of all.

from symptoms presented it seems clear that a $5k rebuild is unnecessary and will not solve the problem. It appears that the car is loading up with gas at idle and smoking on acceleration. Carb or ignition work is simple and cheap.

If a shop wants to rebuild your engine drive away as fast as you can in my opinion.

Posted on: 2016/7/2 23:06
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
My '54 smokes on acceleration when I haven't been driving it awhile (several weeks). After I drive it a bit, then it doesn't smoke anymore. For sure thicker oil solved a lot of the blowby issues I was having. I am running 15-40.

Posted on: 2016/7/5 11:44
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

ThePackRat
See User information
@fredkanter those were my thoughts exactly! Haha it seems to only smoke after idling... The longer I sit the heavier the smoke.... And when coming to a standard stop sign and accelerating no smoke. My first thoughts were carb and spark. I noticed my car was backfiring at around 65mph. Which is why I switched from autolites to m8's. And problem stopped. I will seek the comfort of my friends at California Carburator tomorrow. Hopefully they can set me straight on the carb. I also spoke with Santa Ana's finest today... And got some options worst case scenario. if I remember correctly, a wet test should confirm ring issues right? I still have my compression readings, if compression is the same with a bit of oil in the chamber, shouldn't that confirm bad rings? Sorry guys, It's been a while since auto class 😩

Posted on: 2016/7/5 22:58
2292 49 touring
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

ThePackRat
See User information
Oh! And I didn't have any oil saturation on my plugs, when I pulled them 😐

Posted on: 2016/7/5 23:15
2292 49 touring
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
If the compression comes up with a little oil in the cylinder, it means a valve is leaking.... John

Posted on: 2016/7/6 7:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
The rings seal against the cylinder wall, the addition of a bit of oil which is viscous helps the seal as the viscous oil will prevent most of teh air from leaking by the rings.

Oil put into cylinder = increased compression = leaky rings

Oil put into cyl = little change = rings OK

The valves are distant from the cyl bore and the oil neither reaches them nor affects them.

If compression is still well below norm with oil in cyl=
leaking valve or valves.

Backfiring at speed

1. Timing too far advanced
2. Lean mixture
3. Intake valve not seating quickly enough due to junk in the guide
4. Maybe it happened on July 4th???

Posted on: 2016/7/6 8:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
[quote]
fredkanter wrote:
...The valves are distant from the cyl bore and the oil neither reaches them nor affects them...

Hi Fred, agree with all you posted except the above statement. Of course you are knowledge that on the straight-8 engines, the exhaust valves are directly under the spark plug holes. This makes it difficult to get oil into the cylinders to do a wet compression check. Just posting this for others who may not share your knowledge and experience. Also, this design prevents examination of the piston tops and cylinders as can be done with over head valve engines. Enjoying the Limo restoration project. Thanks.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2016/7/6 11:13
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
In my experience with flathead 6's and 8's I pour a "bit" (unmeasuered) of oil in each cylinder, the ones with open valves it probably goes into the manifold. The others it goes into the bore. When I take readings on all 8, if 3 or 4 increase significantly I know the engine needs rings at least on those cylinders. But you never put new rings in just 3 or 4 cylinders, it's clear that all rings need replacement or need to be bored and new piston/rings installed.

Likewise If i detect a few bad valves they all will be done.

Posted on: 2016/7/6 11:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Fred, I agree.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2016/7/6 14:14
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Good you caught that Fred, my thinking was working backward....
John

Posted on: 2016/7/6 18:24
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved