Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
78 user(s) are online (58 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 77

39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 22 »

Re: 1941 Packard Clipper Eight Special Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I observe that the original equipment electricals are as reliable or more so than a lot of aftermarket stuff, require no fitting, and best of all, you already own them. Many generators I have hauled out of digusting parts cars needed no more than cleaning, a few drops of oil and some new brushes. There is a good chance that yours will be the same unless it has suffered some damage.

Don't think I have picked up from your thread if the car runs or not?

Posted on: 2016/7/31 5:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Howard

You have a great project there. Not to nitpick, but from looking at the photos, a Clipper Eight Special with fine center grille bars, 120" wb, and 282 ci eight cylinder engine would be a Model 2001, Body Style No. 1592 four door Touring Sedan would make it a 1942 model year car here in the States. Some states used to title a car in the calendar year when it was sold rather than the manufacturer's designated model year.

Steve

Posted on: 2016/7/31 8:34
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Howard Wade
See User information
Hello Steve, On the pink slip Title. it says 1941 but then again I am no expert on dating or the model of the car.I have attached a pic of the build plate.Also a pic of the speedo showing the mileage. Thanks for your help.

Attach file:

jpg  (69.24 KB)
139012_579e042e6d3f5.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (94.68 KB)
139012_579e0459dce16.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2016/7/31 8:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Howard

Your build plate 1592 corresponds to the 1942 model year specifically to the 2001 Clipper Eight Special identification for the four door Touring Sedan.

Whether its titled a 1941 or 1942 isn't of a great deal of consequence, though I'd emphasize to those interested that it is a 1942 model which carries a 1941 designation assigned by the state in which it was originally sold at the time it was title. That little bit of odd practiced at the time simply adds to its history.

Steve

Posted on: 2016/7/31 9:42
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not to nitpick but the number you show is the Briggs number assigned by the body builder. The official Vehicle Number is on the large square plate screwed to left side of cowl and may or may not be the same as the Briggs number.

From what I see of the dash it appears to be a 42 so on your other post looking for a steering wheel I believe you will want the ivory or beige colored wheel. What color is the gearshift knob and under dash lever knobs?

No matter the year, finding a wheel in good condition with no cracks may be easier said than done and probably will not be inexpensive if you do. Is your present wheel the painted hard rubber type or do you have the sort of translucent Tenite (early version of plastic) deluxe wheel.

If hard rubber the cracks can be filled with epoxy putty, wheel sanded smooth and then repainted. There are a couple of posts on site where people have posted photos of the process and have done quite nice jobs restoring their wheels. If you have the Tenite or plastic wheel, it can be recast with modern more durable plastic. For that repair the current price in US seems to be around $1000 and more if it has the chrome bars between the rim and hub.

Posted on: 2016/7/31 9:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Howard Wade
See User information
Thanks for the information, pretty sure mine is the early wheel, I will take a pic and a pic of the larger id plate. There are companys here in the uk that refurb steering wheels so i may well send it off to be repaired. Does any body know the amp output of the 6 volt dynamo.Are nip down the barn and get a pic of the plate now.

Posted on: 2016/7/31 12:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Howard Wade
See User information
Well here is a pic of the steering wheel and the gear shift and the data plate.

Attach file:

jpg  (78.19 KB)
139012_579e38540fe95.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (63.71 KB)
139012_579e3868c2c2d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (87.25 KB)
139012_579e389fed66a.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2016/7/31 12:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That is the Deluxe or sometimes called K wheel due to the way the support bars are arranged. It is the Tenite plastic so will have to be recast to get the shiny translucent finish.

Here is one that based on the speedometer, horn emblem and pushbutton layout on the radio is in what I believe is an early 21 series 1946 model. It should give an idea of what yours would look like although based on other photos I believe the 42 color may be a bit lighter or less tan in shade.

Attach file:

jpg  (88.24 KB)
209_579e3f8148c7e.jpg 1024X683 px

Posted on: 2016/7/31 13:12
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Howard Wade
See User information
Well i have done a little more today, i managed to get the fuel tank off, and its in very good order, no bad rot. However, i have tried to blow through the fuel feed pipe and its blocked. I have managed to push some wire about half way but its solid. Does anybody have any ideas on how to unblock the pipe. I dont really want to be cutting it out. Looking forward to your response. The sender unit is siezed so will need another one of those.Howared

Posted on: 2016/8/1 13:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Thankfully, you can finally buy NEW senders from Fred Bruner/MaxMerritt. No need to attempt to "rebuild" yours...
Oh, and since I am on-line, I can supply a proper horn ring, as shown in the correct dash photo, fifty bucks. Very nice used. Not sure of the horn button...as soon as news of who is picking up the baton for Yesterdays Radio, new horn buttons should be available...

Posted on: 2016/8/1 13:36
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 22 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved