Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 153

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Packard Six Sedan 5-26
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Gerd,

I hesitated about this but you knowing my obsession with the Owner Registry should well understand. On behalf of your friend can you include the 5-26 in the Owner Registry, etc, etc, etc?

Posted on: 2009/8/18 14:39
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
Gutsha,

some additional comments..on the steering gear box, the number you showed is the casting number on the side. The number is stamped on the flat portion on top of box just behind the filler cap...take some steel wool and rub. the number should be exposed.

In addtion, it appears someone has added some type of shock system to the front and i'm assuming the rear..The correct system would be the Watson Stabilator also used on the 4th. It was a cylindical box with a strap which attached to an eye bolt type bracket on the front axle. The stabilator itself was attached to the frame slightly ahead of the front axle. You can prob see the three mounting holes in the frame series. In 29 they went to an arm type shock system.

I notice the rear bumper is a split type..i'll have to do some investigating on that one as the ones on my cars are the unbroken straight type all the way across.

In addition, originally the spare lock was the dog bone type
eventuallly they went to the Oakes style flush lock as a theft deterant.

but regardless of all the info. It appears you have a very nice solid sedan.

Posted on: 2009/8/26 18:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
I forgot to mention..the clock as shown..I cant tell from the pictures, but it also looks incorrect..the correct type would be a Jaeger or Waltham clock..also used on the 6th thru the 8th series.

Note on the Boyce Moto meter..the six's were thinner from a side profile whereas the eights were a bit thicker. Also the Godess of speed was an option to the Boyce Moto meter.

Posted on: 2009/8/26 18:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
on engine compartment...

Some will replace the hex head nuts with chrome acorn nuts as used on the 443 8cyc models..however, the six's had just the plain hex heads..That is not to say they werent available from the dealer as perhaps an acorss the counter item. But all the sixes i can recall have the plain hex head nuts on the cyc heads.

Posted on: 2009/8/26 18:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
noitced the front bumper...it should be black with nickel or chorme beauty strips held in place by t-bolts. Also used on the 3rd and 4 series vechicles.

Posted on: 2009/8/26 18:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
Morning

re:303 designation

303 indicates it was a 5 passenger sedan

303 designation was used on the 4th and 5th series (1927 and 1928)

333 although the same body..it is 6th series 1929

It appears you are missing the escutheon cover plate on the choke and throttle knobs.

the chock and throttle knobs moved to the insturment panel starting with eng number # 142172

Correction on Steering wheel..all the same in the 5th thru 7 th series..hard rubber black. 1928-1930

Need a back shot of headlamps to identify...however in the meantime..you early body indicates it more than likely had the Parabeam headlamp as opposed to the later Depress beam.
all too oftern in restoratin esp. bright work they end up buffing out the mfg stamp CM Hall on the top of headlamps(idiots)..dont even take me there.

Posted on: 2009/9/26 8:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
Gutcha..

some interest news..went thru the last know roster done by Harry Wok back in 1996..Dave English now handles the roster

Anyway The National Motor Museum in Birdwood, South Austraila has a 526 sedan on display(but that was in 96 and dont know if they still have..

but look at the serial numbers

yours is 303-6638
theirs is 303-6688

therefore prob built the same day

thier engine number is U135229A

another here in the states in Miami
shows body 303-10862 delivered 12/22/1927 eng # U 142174 B

so we now know yours was prob built say in or about October of 1927 but a 1928 526 model.

Posted on: 2009/9/26 8:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

sanford mitchell
See User information
Gutcha

I went to their website..and it appears they still had the car as of 2006 on display.

I have contacted the curator to see if he would be so kind as to email several shots of the car..

Hopefully his response will be positive...will keep you in the loop

Sandy

Posted on: 2009/9/26 8:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Looks like even Germany has farmers!

Posted on: 2009/10/8 17:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Gerd,

How thick is the rolled steel plate used in the construction of the bellhousing adaptor? Reason I ask is, if it's 1/4"(about 6.3mm) it would have qualified here in Oz, well 40 years ago anyway, to run in heavily modified and dragster classes at the local drag strip!

Posted on: 2009/10/8 18:49
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved