Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
169 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 169

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Best Penetrating Oil!!!!!!!!!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
OK guys, how about a wizard potion for freeing up rusted things like the roller tipped rockers for a 320/prewar. I have a coffee can of them I picked up at Hershey last year that have probably been setting 50 years. Something I can simply soak them in (kerosine/gasoline)?

Posted on: 2012/2/28 17:04
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
ATF/Acetone sounds like a good combo for a soak.

I used ATF to free my motor which was stuck for many years.

Also couple of days sitting in evapo-rust will remove all the rust, but leave all the good metal behind.

Posted on: 2012/2/28 17:19
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I will buy this "FreeAll" product and test it. If it can free stuck Packard 12 water pump bolts then it is pretty darn good. Ditto anything stuck in aluminum.

All of these products work much better when left to soak for a week.

I have tried Kroil with results somewhat better than liquid wrench, except that Kroil is fantastic for lubricating cables, and any other fine lubrication. As a lubricant for sticky throttle and heater cables Kroil is the best product I have ever used.

I also think Kroil would be great for rust prevention. I would soak any post war rust bucket in the stuff.

PB blaster contains silicone and so don't tell anybody you are using it because they will blame you for their shoddy paintwork. Silicone will clean off with good prepsols like PPG DX440. However most body shop painters are slobs.

I worked in a place where they didn't have any silicone, but the paint department were a bunch of jerks. They blamed me for all their shoddy prep work. They said I was sabotaging everything with WD-40. I told them I didn't need to do anything besides leave them alone. Then the management started making trouble for me because they didn't want to look bad about hiring people I would have thrown out in five seconds. In the end they spent tens of thousands of dollars making trouble for me. It was stupid.

So don't tell anybody from a body shop that you use PB Blaster, Armour All, or anything because they will make noise. Just clean it off real good before you send anything to a paint shop.

Posted on: 2012/2/28 20:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Paul Bellefeuille
See User information
Evpo-Rust is an enzyme and works incredibly well. All it does is eat the iron oxide (rust) and nothing else. And you can re-use it over and over. BigKev got me using it after his demo on it awhile ago. I even used it on a stuck brake caliper on my wife's Subaru..(soaked a rag in Evapo-Rust and draped it over the caliper) after a few days it came loose..no hammering no cussing.. Oh yes I also used it on my Clipper..

Posted on: 2012/2/28 21:24
Paul
1955 Clipper Super

"Your fate is just your destiny when you do not try." Cosy Sheridan
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I soaked an entire brake drum in Evapo after thoroughly degreasing it, and when it was done it looked like the it fresh cast iron. It really is amazing stuff if you can let the part soak for a couple of days. Also it's gentle enough that it won't remove paint, or hurt plastic, rubber or glass.

Posted on: 2012/2/28 21:34
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Greetings, fellows!

I've been using the Gibbs Mega Penetrating Oil with good success. I'm guessing that it may be a combination of acetone, ATF, and some other ingredients, so that may explain why. If acetone and ATF is the secret, then Gibbs figured it out and put it in an aerosol can. It is pink in color. A little pricey, but it does give the convenience of an aerosol to the home brew combination.

http://www.getgibbs.com/

Posted on: 2012/3/4 7:39
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved