Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
190 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 189

JWL, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 42 »

Re: 1956 Clipper Hot Rod
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Packard V8 wrote( What does the rebuilder have to say about it). It would also be nice for Al to post for us what his mechinic thinks caused the problem.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/10/6 14:24
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
The builder is chalking this up to a defective drive gear.
But it does end there. I swear I am snake-bit. After putting in the new drive gear, my mechanic installs the starter and when snugging down the main cable from the battery, the plastic cap disintegrates(picture attached). So I bring it back to the rebuilder who informs me that because the newer solenoids all had only 3 posts instead of 4 posts, he used my old cap. Now he has to modify the new cap in order to allow for the 4th post. The whole thing is now back down to the shop and I am waiting for the next minor disaster to take place.

Attach file:

jpg  (31.76 KB)
430_4acf79c033b18.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2009/10/9 12:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
So what is the source of the parts???? What company made the parts???? Where were the parts made????

Posted on: 2009/10/9 19:22
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
AL

There's a reason that car is putting up a fuss now. Something needs attention. I've got an old boat just like that. Gets fickle when there's an urgent repair needed that has been missed. Once I find out what what that is and fix it, everything else works like a charm. Starter problems are a frequent warning sign.

Laugh if you like, but I haven't been stranded or sunk yet, and there were times when it would have happened if I hadn't heeded the warning.

The ClipperRod is a combination of the best that Packard had to offer in its last year. That along with its hidden past gives it a mystique beyond our natural understanding. Or heck, maybe you're just jinxed. But I doubt it.

Posted on: 2009/10/9 23:46
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Keith

It is hard to tell the source any more. The bendix gear was one he had in stock. He ordered the new one from a source in Chicago. I don't know where he ordered the solenoid from. The plastic cap was my old one as it had the 4th terminal, the new one that came with the solnoid only had 3. He then went and had to modify the new one by drilling a hole where the 4th terminal had to be. I shall now have to wait until Monday to see what the result of all of this is.

ALK

Posted on: 2009/10/10 12:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
AL if nothing else take comfort in knowing your not the only one catching the wrath of the car gods.

My 56 has had constant carburation problems since june, now the Ultratraumatic tranny fluid is starting to smell burt and the power steering is barely working.

Posted on: 2009/10/10 16:34
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
These kind of problems are becomeing more and more prevalent. NOT just among new replacement parts for Packard but also among various other badges i follow AND some i don't follow real close but wind up getting involved with.

Posted on: 2009/10/10 22:03
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Question, why do you need the 4th terminal? On all the starters I've seen (and separate solenoids) the 4th terminal is just there to bypass the ignition wire to provide a full 12V to the ignition while starting. It's not really needed, IMHO.

Posted on: 2009/10/11 7:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Eric

Your explanation is exactly what the rebuilder said and while you may very well be correct, I like to have things correct if I can. Without the 4th post, there would be a wire dangling someplace and would look jury rigged, and I would to stay away from that if I can.

ALK

Posted on: 2009/10/11 16:23
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
This is the style I used on my '54 delco starter for the 12 volt conversion. It's a 4-post and available at your local Napa.

Attach file:

jpg  (23.72 KB)
1_4ad2500f03a82.jpg 541X576 px

Posted on: 2009/10/11 16:37
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 8 9 10 (11) 12 13 14 ... 42 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved