Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
95 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 93

Packard Don, PennyPackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 ... 52 »

Re: Mal's '41 120 Coupe
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Wednesday 27th February 2008

After taking some underside pics applied the Metal Ready, Zinc Phosphate etch primer, to the underfloor and frame rails. Did it in sections with the fibreglass tray strategically stationed to catch most of the drips and run-off. Only problem was dodging the drips and, strange to say, Metal Ready has quite a pleasant taste as I can now attest when a drip dropped straight into my mouth! Then a similar exercise to spray off the excess this also entailed dodging the drips and because of the greater volume of fluid used there were also frequent mop-ups of the liquids which escaped the tray. After all that, wiped over the underside of any accumulating droplets.

I was then left with a couple of hours and thought good, I'll clean up the fuel tank. Well 2 hours later I finished scraping the top side and was I excited to find on turning it over that I'd already done the bottom. Must have done it when it was still in the car before we took it out, but can't remember doing it. That's "old-timers" disease for you!

Attach file:

jpg  (35.42 KB)
226_47c50d702ef25.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (36.40 KB)
226_47c50d8d70dd1.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (29.42 KB)
226_47c50e017ac7b.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2008/2/27 2:09
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Mal,

Another good product to convert the rust which I have used is a product called Picklex 20. I have used the Metal Ready before and the thing I had issued with it is you have to use water to clean it off. And you know when you use water on bare steel it flash rusts even thou the Metal Ready is suppose to stop it.

For Picklex 20 there is no need to rinse it off with water you just scrub it in then dry it off with paper towels. Let it set over night to make sure it is totally dry, hit it with a scuff pad and you are ready to prime.

Link
http://www.picklex20.com/

Tom

Posted on: 2008/2/27 6:41
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thursday 28th February 2008

A momentous day - paint day! Actually my daughter is due to give birth today to her second child but at the time of writing this, 5:50pm, she hasn't yet. So if that occurs, it will be an even more momentous day.

But before the painting started got under the car and saw there were a few damp spots mainly at joins in the metal and where there are tube type channel reinforcements on the underfloor. Don't know how to explain them but you should be able to see them in the pic. So decided to use compressed air to blow it dry. Good idea? Yes, but......... have you ever experienced an Idaho dust storm under a Packard in Sydney Australia? Well I can tell you that's what resulted! Because of all the little nooks and crannies in the frame and between the frame and body when compressed air is introduced - VOILA - there was dust and grit everywhere. And I thought I was finished with that stuff at this stage. Also found out the tube type channel reinforcements had retained their share of Marine Clean, Metal Ready and water and so I blew them out and dried off the dispersed liquid.

Now to the joys of painting. POR-15 as it's advertising states "....is a rust preventative paint designed for application directly on rusted or seasoned metal surfaces". It also states "Wear gloves, POR-15 does not come off skin after it has dried(stays on skin 4-5 days)" I can confirm that, my earlier attempts using it saw more on me than on the parts being painted. Likewise for today, my right forearm looks like it has a way-out tattoo design on it, and this after I've scrubbed it with a nylon pot scourer! As a result my wife has foregone the opportunity to eat out tonight, not wanting to be seen with a man decorated by POR-15 black!

Back to the workshop on Saturday as there are family matters to attend to, most likely the arrival of our second grandchild!

Attach file:

jpg  (36.01 KB)
226_47c658f50857f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (21.66 KB)
226_47c6590862eb8.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.98 KB)
226_47c673e0d465e.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2008/2/28 1:50
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Mal, Looks like a you will be wearing long sleeve shirts for awhile!
A member of our car club got POR15 on his forehead while painting the underside of his 66 Mustang. He tried to take it off with sandpaper!

Posted on: 2008/2/28 9:27

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

clipper47 wrote:
Mal, Looks like a you will be wearing long sleeve shirts for awhile!
A member of our car club got POR15 on his forehead while painting the underside of his 66 Mustang. He tried to take it off with sandpaper!

clipper47,

I use pot scourers but mainly on my arms and legs, although I did have one spot on my right forehead and it was used carefully and judiciously to remove it as it's a more tender area. The 3 large spots in the beard will have to grow out.

As I have only ONE long sleeve shirt, for wearing on formal occasions, I could be spending a lot of time indoors if my wife had her way. However, I'm a bloke, and "#%&*" happens so it won't slow me down!

Posted on: 2008/2/28 14:24
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Mal,

You need to get yourself some of them medical paper sleeves to cover your arms. Unless you like black tattoos :)

I learn the hard way just like u with using POR15. I covered myself the best that I could. Thankfully I am finished with that stage.

By the way your bottom looks good the car that is :)

Posted on: 2008/2/28 14:43
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Friday 29th February 2008

No word yet, at 1:10pm, on the impending birth although, from a conversation between my wife and daughter this morning, the indications are that it should be soon.

Did have a call from Tony "Shocks" to say the sway bar shock was finished, so I arranged to pick it up early Saturday morning before I go to the workshop. Also some sad news from Tony who advised his wife had died in Hospital and the sway bar shock would probably be the last one he overhauls.

And Tom, Al, Clipper47 and others, I have bought some long sports socks and cut out a thumb and finger holes and will use these on my right arm as protection from POR-15 fallout.

Posted on: 2008/2/28 21:14
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Saturday 1st March 2008

Picked up the sway bar shock from Tony "Shocks" who is grieving and very upset from the loss of his wife.

At the workshop started on the inside by taking out the base and back of the front seat singlehandedly. No mean feat when you consider it carries a bit of weight and wont stay folded as gravity takes its inevitable effect. Then removed the underlay/sound deadener/whatever from the floor of the front seat area using a knife to separate it from the floor where it was adhering. Also removed the "pads" of material from the wells under the drivers and passengers feet. Then back to scraping and cleaned most of the cleared floor area another long, slow laborious task.

And as I type, 3:00pm, just got word that our daughter has entered hospital for the birth of her second child so we're now on tenterhooks waiting the baby's arrival.

Attach file:

jpg  (32.85 KB)
226_47c8d643522e8.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2008/2/29 23:06
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Saturday 1st March 2008

Although not Packard related, our daughter Margaret gave birth naturally to her second child, a daughter, Elyssia Lauren @ 6:41pm weighing 9.1 lbs and 52cm long. A sister for Livinia, and mother and daughter are both doing well.

Posted on: 2008/3/1 5:58
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Congratulations on the new grandchld who will be a source of enjoyment for years to come. Gkids are nice cause you can give them back when you're done playing with them.

Posted on: 2008/3/1 9:49

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 ... 52 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved