Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 105

Bob J, humanpotatohybrid, Ozstatman, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 ... 45 »

Re: 51Packards....52 Packard 200 Deluxe!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Thanks for that JW. I understand what you're saying. Also, the idea of extending the dizzie clamp is a good one. I might do that sometime.

Posted on: 2014/11/13 18:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
11-13-14

With numb frozen fingers I added the extended bolt to my distributor clamp. Now that it would be easier, I attempted to adjust the timing. Car was 15 degrees retarded, but ran smooth. Got it to 6 BTDC. Gave it a rev test and it hesitated horribly to the point it would have stalled if I had not played with the throttle. Then of course....I ran out of gas! That's OK I was cold anyway.

Larry51 I would much rather have your weather than mine!

Posted on: 2014/11/13 21:23
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
11-16-14

Filled with fresh gas. Car started relatively easily after gas worked its way up to the carb. Checked again and timing is at 6 BTDC. Car is running rough. Hooked up tach and set RPM to 450. Car still shaking. Played with the carb screws and got the idle a little smoother, but not like a Packard should be. Still hesitates when I give it gas. A couple of revs and a rather loud backfire later and I was done for the day. A couple of inches of snow indicate I will not be working on the car very much longer this season.

So I have:

Rebuilt the carb
Installed a rebuilt fuel pump
Rebuilt the distributor with new points and condenser
Rewired the car (at least the front half)
Installed a good ignition switch

The result is a car that still hesitates pretty bad when given gas and a rough idle.

I guess I am not very good at tuning engines!

I also still have the tapping noise. Maybe that is causing all of the issues?

I want to hook up a vacuum gauge to tune the carb, but if you are not supposed to use the port that goes to the distributor, where do you hook it up?

I'm wondering if I have a manifold leak.

Posted on: 2014/11/16 16:05
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
11-23-14

Time to put the car away for winter. Got it situated in the driveway so I could get the snowblower around it easily. Found it was almost a gallon of antifreeze low so I refilled the radiator. Took the battery out for storage in the basement. Can't wait for spring to start again!!!

Posted on: 2014/11/23 14:50
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Digging around in the Packard specs in the service manual, I just realized I have the wrong engine in my car! Guess I should have checked on that before buying! Not that I care much because I kind of wanted the bigger engine anyway. My car is a 2562 so the only options were the 288 if I am reading it correctly. It has a 327 (verified by the motor number). Right year, wrong size? For some reason I was thinking the 327 could be had as an option?

I also read that the 288 and 327 are the same block. Will the intake/exhaust manifolds from the 288 in my '51 fit the 327 OK or will it diminish performance? The reason I ask is that those manifolds are already cleaned up and the heat riser is free. The 327 has a stuck heat riser and is rusty.

Also if the motor is wrong, I was thinking of putting on a 4 barrel manifold from a later car. Not sure it would give enough HP to be worth the trouble sourcing (and paying) for the parts. Just thinking out loud...

Posted on: 2014/12/29 21:22
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
If you check the 1952 Build Sheet and Production Code Chart that I compiled (from factory Trade Letters), you'll find that the 327-cid engine was, indeed, a regular production option for all 200 and 200 Deluxe models.

Posted on: 2014/12/29 21:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I may have found my answer on the 288 vs 327 manifolds...

To quote Ross on This Thread:

"Interestingly, although the manifolds all interchange 51-54, the 288, 327, and 359 all had different inside diameters in the runners. I put a 359 4bbl mainfold on a ported and relieved 288 but found it prone to bogging in normal driving because of inadequate velocity in those long runners."

Posted on: 2014/12/29 21:40
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Thanks Brian! That's great news! Nevermind about the 4 barrel manifold...I will keep it stock then. I guess the specs I saw in the service manual were only for standard equipment?

Posted on: 2014/12/29 21:44
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I'd still look at the carb. Perhaps it's not adjusted correctly, or something went askew during the rebuild. Have you checked the engine vacuum? Maybe you have a leak somewhere.

Posted on: 2014/12/30 12:33
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Hi Bigkev,

I think my carb is OK. I was thinking of going with the 4 barrel, just for more power.

I haven't had the vacuum gauge on yet, but I do still have that "tick" in the engine. In the spring I'm going to open the valve covers and observe them. Maybe one is sticking or not pumping up.

I'm sure I also have some leaks. I will have to remove my manifold (reason I asked if the 288 would work on it) because I think the gasket is leaking.

Lots of work to do when the time comes. I'm hoping I can rule out the ignition system with all the work I have in it.

I can't remember if I asked before or not, but where do you hook up the vacuum gauge to the engine to check?

Posted on: 2014/12/30 18:43
[url=h
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 10 11 12 (13) 14 15 16 ... 45 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved