Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
204 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 200

R H, JohnCB, TxGoat, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 16 17 ... 40 »

Re: HA's 52 200 Grey Ghost
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I never use the parking brake. In fact I usually drop the linkage to make sure it's fully relaxed, and also retract the shoes with the adjuster. To keep the wheel from turning I use a tire iron or length of pipe in between the puller arms and wedged against the garage floor - hope you get the idea, I don't have a picture showing that. But that's the normal way to keep the assembly from turning.

Posted on: 2014/6/11 15:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Well our long national nightmare is over. I took O-D's hint and just beat on the puller harder, and now both hubs are off and a new batch of spider webs is revealed. It's my own fault, I'm just not used to using this level of force on things due to my aircraft background I guess. I need to embrace the dark side and allow myself to take out my frustrations occasionally, if I do it right it will doubtless make me a more pleasant person without too much needless destruction. I just keep worrying about the "they don't make this stuff anymore" problem.

I bench bled my new master cylinder and while I was at it I tried to test my stoplight pressure switch again. Dang, it doesn't seem to work now. I think I'll try it once I get everything on the car with no leaks, then if it still resists I can put a new one on.

Attach file:

jpg  (44.42 KB)
34001_53991c015938b.jpg 612X816 px

Posted on: 2014/6/11 22:18
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
I was on the road filling in for one of my project pilots most of last week, and I'll be gone most of next week filling in for another one. So not much time to work on the car. But I did get some time this weekend, decided to actually put some parts back on the car. What a concept, I guess we've all been there though.

So I had gone through the starter, everything was in good shape including the brushes so I just shined up the commutator and cleaned and lubed things, basically gave it a spray paint overhaul. Why let it clutter up to top of my toolbox, so on the engine it went. I still need to pick up a new relay for it, the old one disintegrated when I took the nuts off and I'm switching to 12 volts anyway.

This afternoon I reassembled the shifter linkage after installing the new master cylinder, one of the mounting bolts for that also serves as the pivot shaft for the shifter linkage bellcrank.

Then I got ambitous and reassembled the front suspension. Wow, what fun getting those coil springs in place by myself. Some experimenting with jacks and getting the lower pivot bolts to hit all the threads correctly and they were on. I used a couple big plastic cable ties to hold the springs in place while I lined up the jacks etc. A little verbal encouragement (good thing I was alone) and it all went together again. New shocks completed the job, ready to reassemble the brakes and bearings now.

Attach file:

jpg  (55.27 KB)
34001_53a7ae6fc3e23.jpg 612X816 px

jpg  (57.96 KB)
34001_53a7ae8159624.jpg 612X816 px

Posted on: 2014/6/22 23:35
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
I'm on the road this week again flying, actually in my home town in western ND. So I zipped out to the in-laws farm this afternoon and pulled the heater fan motor and horns out of my brother-in-law's wrecked '55 in the hopes that they will work (thanks Dan!). I'm converting my car to 12 volts so I needed these things anyway.

Posted on: 2014/6/26 18:20
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
I have a blower motor from a 55/56 that I got from Mike dulinsky. It worked great in my 53 with 12v. Horns could stay 6v. They're Loud!

Posted on: 2014/6/28 0:57
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
I tested the 12v blower on a battery here and it works, my original 6v one is seized. I was under the impression that the horns were voltage specific? If not, then I guess I have 2 sets, although I haven't tried testing my original horns using a battery yet.

Posted on: 2014/6/28 12:37
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The horns are voltage specific and if you lean on them or keep them blaring for a long time they will burn out or pull enough current thru their own or the relay's contacts to cause issues. Other than being very loud, a normal toot toot should not cause any long term issues or overheating. You might want to replace the relay with one of the proper coil voltage though.

Posted on: 2014/6/28 13:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
I have no keys for this car, gone long ago. So I will either need a new ignition switch or get this one rekeyed. With the switch to 12v, will there be a problem leaving the ignition switch on with the engine not running, to listen to the radio for instance? Coil will have a ballast resistor.

Or am I better off getting a newer style ignition switch with an "accessory" switch position, to run the radio without having voltage to the coil etc?

Posted on: 2014/6/30 23:36
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
The original ignition switch should have an 'accessory' position if you turn to 10 o'clock left, and Ignition on if you turn to the right (about 2 o'clock)
I would bet a locksmitch could make you a key if you brought him the ignition switch and a key blank.

Posted on: 2014/7/1 8:40
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Front door and ign used the same key so if you have it rekeyed keep that in mind. The switch will work fine on 12v and unless someone installed an earlier switch, the 52 switch should have the acc position. The GA or long post is active in both positions and the COIL terminal is only active in the on or toward right position. To run the radio, as long as switch is in the acc position the coil won't be energized.

Posted on: 2014/7/1 8:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 16 17 ... 40 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved