Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
199 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 199

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15) 16 17 18 »

Re: Tim's '55 Patrician
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Yahoo!!! The recharged battery cranked over the Patrician's engine and with a splash of fuel in the carb, the engine fired up, coughed a few times, and sputtered to life, settling down to a nice, calm idle. I let the engine run for a few minutes and shut it down. I put the car cover on the 400 and came back and tried to start the Patrician again. Success! The engine fired right up and idled like a champ. The fuel pump was clearly drawing fuel from the tank and the Patrician's fuel system is now operational!

One system down, quite a few to go!

Now, onto re-building the Bendix Treadlevac master cylinder taken from the 400 which will render the Patrician's brake system complete. Once that has been installed and the system filled with fluid and bled, the brake system will be finished. The Patrician might be mobile under its own power by the end of the month!

Posted on: 2012/7/8 21:36
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Congratulations Tim!
I know what it means to finally hear all 8 cylinders on the Packard V8 finally firing in harmony. Our engines have a sound all their own.
Keep up the good work!

Posted on: 2012/7/9 3:26
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Thanks, Jim. Before heading out to work this morning, I first went to the garage and turned over the Patrician. It again fired right up andjust sat there purring. In less than 2 minutes, the oil pressure was pegged right at the mid-point of the guage. At least I can be cool while re-building that Bendix Treadle-Vac master cylinder.

I'm really getting pumped to put the wheels back on it and seeing it move, and stop, on its own for the first time in what I am sure is quire a few years.

Posted on: 2012/7/9 10:20
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
Quote:

PA Patrician wrote:
I'm really getting pumped to put the wheels back on it and seeing it move, and stop, on its own for the first time in what I am sure is quire a few years. [/font][/color][/size]

I know exactly how you feel!

Posted on: 2012/7/9 12:33
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Well gang, I'm still working on rebuilding the Bendix Treadlevac master cylinder for the Patrician and I'm finding that it sure isn't as easy as Ross makes one believe when reading his blog. Then again, Ross is much more experienced than am I at things mechanical and probably has all of the necessary tools at his fingertips.

Just to keep you all abreast of what has been going on, I'm currently dis-assembling two Bendix Treadlevac master cylinders for re-building. The one out of the Four Hundred and a spare I picked up some time ago for re-building. I have a third which came out of the Patrician, but it is the worst of the three from my amateur eyes and I haven't tried to dis-assemble that one yet.

The latest major holdup has been the lack of a 1 1/8 inch socket to remove the check valves from the master cylinder itself. I picked that up at Sears on Friday and as my bicep tendonitis gets better, I'll be working its magic on the two master cylinders. The two vacuum cylinders are disassembled, but I have not yet disassembled the vacuum pistons.

As I work with the Patrician and the Four Hundred, I'm coming to the conclusion that the Patrician is the mechanically more sound of the two vehicles, while the Four Hundred is cosmetically the more appealing at present. The Patrician's engine runs much smoother than does the Four Hundred's and the Patrician's brake system, once the master is finished, will have been completely rebuilt.

That's about all the progress to report at this time. If the re-building of the Bendix Treadlevac system proves too much for me, I may just send the Patrician's original master cylinder to Fred Kanter with a cheque and have it professionally rebuilt. Stay tuned to see which path the Patrician travels down.

Posted on: 2012/9/9 14:17
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
As I finish my on-again, off-again project of rebuilding the Patrician's Bendix Treadle-vac master cylinder, I've had some conflicting suggestions as to what type of brake fluid I should use when I install the re-built master and bleed the system. A friend of mine who has several vintage autos, but no Packards, sadly, recommended that I use DOT5 fliud because it has a silicon base and does not retain moisture.

To those of you who may be new to my blog, I had to completely re-build the Patrician's brake system because the Yahooo who had it before me screwed up the rear wheels like no one's business. So, the Patrician has all new brake lines, wheel cylinders, and now a re-built master cylinder. Mixing old and new brake fluids is not a problem with this vehicle.

I am leaning towards using the DOT5 brake fluid remembering some of the rusted out brake lines that I replaced when re-building the brake system. If the DOT5 silicon fliud keeps out more moisture - so much the better. However, I thought I would run this past some more experienced re-builders before I do something stupid that I have to spend countless hours fixing.

Posted on: 2012/12/17 11:29
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
DOT5 or any other fluid doesn't keep the moisture from entering, that happens as air (containing moisture) enters the fluid reservoir thru the cap vent as the fluid level drops when the brakes are applied. The same air (without some of the moisture) is then expelled as the brakes are released. The advantage to DOT5 is that it doesn't "attract" the moisture as DOT 3 and DOT4 do. Also DOT5 eliminates whatever moisture enters from becoming co-mixed with the fluid, and thus is far kinder to wheel cylinders and masters. With DOT5 the moisture accumulation (which will certainly be less than with conventional fluid) remains as a separate phase in the lowest point in the system unless you flush regularly, just as you should do with conventional brake fluid. DOT5 has some nice advantages, especially for museum-type or rarely used cars but does not eliminate the entry of moisture into the system.

Posted on: 2012/12/17 12:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Some suppliers do not like silicone fluid. I had used it in my car with BTV and it seemed to work. Had planned to use it with all the playing with different masters I've been doing. One thing I feel and while it is purely subjective, to me it seems the silicone fluid is slightly thinner than the DOT 3 or 4.

My plans were changed when this little missive from MPB appeared with some of the components I bought. No reasons for the dislike are given.

Attach file:

jpg  (13.27 KB)
209_50cf5511cd379.jpg 524X296 px

Posted on: 2012/12/17 12:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Howard, along those lines and I don't know if it's still the case but at least 2 of the major Bendix TreadleVac rebuilders gave the same warning in the past. I've used DOT5 with satisfaction years ago in a 48 Custom 8 which saw only occasional use, but when I did the brakes in the 56 Carib in went with DOT4 and likewise no problems over past dozen years though I do flush and refill every 3 or 4 years. The Carib sees plenty of driving and the brake components probably get hot enough to drive out at least some of the moisture.

Posted on: 2012/12/17 12:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I've been running DOT 5 (silicone) since 1997 and 27k+ miles in my 56 Executive. First 7 years with BTV and remainder of time with a modern conversion power unit.
NO problems.

The previous owner had gone thru the brake system back in the 90's with alot of NEW parts from either Kanter or MErit. He used the dot5 so i have not bothered to revert back to the dot 3 nor have i been able to find any reason over the last 15+ years to go back to dot3. Good reasons to stay with Dot 5 tho.

Posted on: 2012/12/17 13:57
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15) 16 17 18 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved