Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
213 user(s) are online (127 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 212

Tom (Packin31), more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 189 190 191 (192) 193 194 195 ... 257 »

Re: BigKev's 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Sedan
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Was down at Gerry's place today. Neither of those fans are correct. They are actually 57L Studebaker fans. The bolt pattern does not fit the 51-54 water pump.

Jim, thanks for the pictures those help. Looks like I am going to have to come up with something different if needed as not looking to swap out the waterpump and other bits just for the correct fan.

Posted on: 2014/1/1 21:59
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Kev, I installed an after market 6-blade flex fan on my '55 Clipper. The fan hub center hole was smaller than the water pump shaft. The mounting bolt holes were in a fanned array to accommodate a variety of water pump flange bolt patterns. This design is self-centering. I spaced the fan on the flange with some flat washers to clear the protruding shaft and then bolted the fan to the flange. It runs true and smooth. I painted the fan black so it would not be too obvious. This job is described in my project blog. Something to consider.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/1/2 11:37
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Unless you find a real 6 blade or heavy duty Packard fan, as JW mentions something will have to be adapted. Unfortunately, I also expect unless you make or have an adapter made for your car, washers and a universal flex fan will be the most likely modern option.

I had to space my fan out for the belt clearance needed with the fan pulley driving the compressor on this engine. Rather than only washers, I much preferred the security of the extra support of the hub pilot being in the fan hole. The sad part is Packard used a pilot which is larger than modern fans or that commonly available adapters will accept. IIRC, the pilot is a fraction over 1 1/4" for your series engines. The 356 engine is even worse. I searched for adapters I could modify for the 356 and found some advertised with a 1 1/4 female side to a more modern or common male side but didn't find one to actually buy that is short enough or could be easily adapted.

I quit looking and wound up making the 3/8" spacer I needed for belt clearance on the 356 engine. Mine had to have both the odd size female bore and male pilot side so time will tell how well my lathe work turned out.

Attach file:

jpg  (39.93 KB)
209_52c5b32e2a124.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2014/1/2 13:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Some pics from a small car show today

Attach file:

jpg  (65.83 KB)
1_52d3442c7cd24.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (56.47 KB)
1_52d3443f7c8a4.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2014/1/12 20:41
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Hans
See User information
Some car Kev!

B/W pictures do have that special athmosphere, especially with cars like these

Posted on: 2014/1/22 9:07
All the best from Holland!
Hans

Clipper Deluxe Touring sedan 1954
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Hans, thanks. I agree, there is something timeless with a Black & White photo. Also it makes my chrome look much nicer than it is! :)

Posted on: 2014/1/22 12:57
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
A few parts acquired at the PI Swap Meet. I managed to wheel and deal for a "good" driver parking light housing to replace the one on my grille that has all the copper bleeding through. Also picked up a nice fender protector for $20. One gentleman was liquidating his parts due to illness, so he sold me two used spare axles (with bearings) for my car for $20 ($10 each). Also a replacement dome light b-pillar switch for $5.

Posted on: 2014/2/17 17:55
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Next on the plate for the '54 Clipper (in order):

Replace the parking light housing with my new-to-me one. This will require pulling the grille, bumper, upper radiator cover, etc.

Install spring helpers in the rear before I grind the tip of the tailpipe off.

Install the remote fill brake fluid setup that I bought at Salado last year.

Install A/C compressor, condenser and evaporator and have those long A/C lines made up.

Rebuild the 56 Twin Ultra and install the GearStart Bellhousing and Pan on it. Which will replace the slowly failing GearStart currently on the car.

Also I have my eye on a basket case '39 110 Coupe (w/overdrive) that I am trying to see if a deal can be worked out. But that is another story.

Posted on: 2014/2/17 18:14
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Some work yesterday on the Clipper. I needed to replace the old parking light housing with the new-to-me housing I acquired at the PI Swap Meet. For the record, this is a 2hr+ job as the amount of fasteners and parts that have to be remove to replace the housing.

-Remove Bumper (4 fasteners)
-Remove Upper Radiator Panel (~16 fasteners)
-Remove 1954 Clipper Only Trim Panels (8 fasteners)
-Remove Grille to filler panel fasteners (~10 fasteners)
-Disconnect Parking light wiring
-Remove Grille from fenders (10 fasteners)
-Remove housing (3 fasteners)
-Remove parking light (3 fasteners)

Now do everything in reverse.

I ran out of daylight before I got the bumper back on. But the grille is back on with the new housing. Grille looks much better now.

Attach file:

jpg  (77.03 KB)
1_530bb3d491f10.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (107.42 KB)
1_530bb3dc7c4af.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (94.46 KB)
1_530bb3e458f84.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/2/24 16:04
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
The replacement light looks much better. The other positive thing is that you are now a expert on removing your grill one of the other advantages of old cars is getting to do things more than once. Another plus is that the bolts and hardware are not covered in rust and dirt from many decades.
Always look at the positive side plus it looks much better. The final steps go on for as long as you are not 100% satisfied. Much more fun when you can drive car even better if someone you knows notices the change.
I know in spring around here when we go to first few events most people look others cars to see changes or up grades not to mention new ones people acquire
I know I'm waiting for our winter down time to come to its here in the winter country.

Posted on: 2014/2/24 18:48
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 189 190 191 (192) 193 194 195 ... 257 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved