Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 208

Duane Gunn, humanpotatohybrid, Don B, packard1949, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 400 treadle-vac failure
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Thanks Kev.

Posted on: 2015/5/11 13:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
This thread has become pretty run down.

Let me say this about Treadle-Vac. Back when we had off the shelf NOS parts the thing was great. Some of the engineering in it is not what I would think of as first class stuff (read compensator method and lack of secondary vacuum seal in the booster) but at least the darn thing could be made to work. The situation with Chrysler products (Bendix Hydro-Vac) was impossible, so in those days Treadle-Vac was a much better situation to deal with.

I don't understand some of what that White Post place said they did. I don't understand why someone would sleeve a BTV because the ram displaces the fluid the same way as a fork lift. Of course that place would tell someone like me to get lost, so I can only fathom what goes on down there.

To whit, if the compensator port is clogged the darn thing wouldn't bleed in the first place because that is the only way fluid gets into the lines in a BTV so maybe this car has a regular master cylinder.

Blocked compensator ports is cited as a standard cause of brakes self applying, but if the car does have a booster on it, and the brake pedal is not adjusted properly, the booster can be on at all times. That is easy to diagnose. Disconnect the brake pedal and if the brakes release that is the problem source.

Next, if drum brakes lock up on the road the adjusters can be backed off with a brake spoon so that is a worthwhile item to have handy.

I've never experienced a stuck residual check valve on a drum brake car, but if that starts sticking the brakes will not fully release. If they managed to put it in backwards that should certainly cause a problem (is that even possible? I suppose you can put wheels on backwards). As well, when properly adjusted there should be no brake shoe drag when released.

So, given that the front and rear wheels are locking up on this car I would look at the master cylinder as the most likely cause.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2015/5/11 15:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
EXCELLENT post Tim Colee. Excellent.

Posted on: 2015/5/11 16:35
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
At least he's sending the unit to the RIGHT MAN for a rebuild-Ross is the boss!

Posted on: 2015/5/19 20:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
To wind all of this up, here is what I found on Randy's unit: It was in excellent condition with virtually nil signs of internal leakage or any other problem. The reason for the dragging brakes was that the pushrod dust boot had split and worked its way loose from its mounting collar and with repeated brake applications had gotten folded and wedged inside the neck of the vacuum booster. This kept the pedal from returning all the way, and voila, dragging brakes.

Since I had the thing on the bench it got new seals anyway, and of course a nice new dust boot.

Posted on: 2015/6/7 8:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
And many thanks for a quick turn-around - it is appreciated.

Posted on: 2015/6/7 9:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Amazing what wayward rubber can do in a BTV. Messed up at one end keeps the brakes from applying but at the other end it keeps them from releasing.

Posted on: 2015/6/7 9:43
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
Best other is up and running Randy was at one of our cruises today. He arrived in Best other rather than his van life is good and back to normal on our little part of the world.

Posted on: 2015/6/7 21:04
C:\Users\veron\Desktop\New folder\1956 Packard Caribbean\753.jpg
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
It's nice to have friends, aint it?

Posted on: 2015/6/7 21:05
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved