Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
167 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 166

Kevinanderson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4)

Re: Ping In 359 Engine
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Good to try the "Ross Method" first. It is simple and cheap, and results will present themselves quickly. That said, tuning a distributor is mostly a lost art these days.

Vacuum advance chambers are used across a number of applications for a given manufacturer. What differs in them is the length and/or tension of the spring. That is why it important to remove these items from the chamber when sending in a defective unit to exchange for a rebuilt one. Using shims can affect the amount of advance too.

The automatic or mechanical or centrifugal advance mechanism can also be tuned for the engine speed in which it starts to advance, how quickly it advances (the advance curve), and how much it advances.

Breaker point gap or dwell will affect ignition timing. The timing will retard over miles as the rubbing block wears - gap decreases, or dwell increases.

Tuning a distributor is done on a specialized machine that mounts the distributor and has various gauges and other attachments. The operation of the vacuum and mechanical advance can be observed directly. It was used back in the day by better shops to set new points and check the distributor for proper operation and check for wear.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/5/5 11:39
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Another option may be running a cooler heat range spark plug.

Posted on: 2014/5/5 12:55
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
Thanks, JW and BigKev. I don't think I'd pursue sending the distributor out with the engine running as well as it does and the ping so intermittent. Cooler plugs are a good idea and certainly might help, but the car does mostly low speed city-type driving where they recommend hotter plugs. The car has Champion RJ8C plugs, which look to be on the hotter side to me. For right now, the Miller Method and the continued use of premium fuel is, I think, the best course of action. I'm also going to wean it off of the octane booster. I agree with packard1984 who wrote that it shouldn't need 108 octane.

Posted on: 2014/5/5 22:29
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved