Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
206 user(s) are online (133 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 205

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Re: 55 newbie Questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
If you're taking photos on your iDevice (iPad, iPhone) or other self-orienting device and uploading them from there, then the sideways photos are the device's fault, not yours. I usually first load them onto a computer, then use an image viewer to rotate (even if they look okay on the screen), save, then rotate back and save again before uploading. This effectively removes the orientation metatags hidden within the image and locks its orientation.

Also, not sure about Android but from an iDevice you can probably upload only a single photo at a time because in Apple's infinite wisdom they rename each one to "image.jpg" during an upload so, with several having the same name, they overwrite one another! Don't hesitate to PM me with these kinds of non-Packard technical questions and I am happy to help.

Posted on: 2017/10/31 13:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Whippersnapper55 wrote:
I printed out all service literature on the engine, twin ultramatic, electrical, and suspension. Thanks for having that available to download.

The car is at my mother's house and I live in an apartment so I get out there about once a week, if that. 3hour drive roundtrip.
I went this Sunday and got more time and pictures with the Packard.

Before I post pictures, am I doing something wrong because all my last pictures came in side ways after posting them???

I am going to go with the twin ultramatic for now but I can get I very good deal on a toploader 3 speed and I'm up to having a manual transmission, I'd prefer it. But I have to stick with what I got. With no key I can get the shifter to make 3 or four clicks in Neautal and Drive, but I notice the lever in the PN'D'LR won't click into Park or Revesese.

Can anyone please post a picture of their engine compartment because that will help me out due to the lack of parts I'm missing,thanks alot

I will be back soon

There is absolutely no connection on a 1955 Packard between the transmission shifter and the ignition key switch. None whatsoever. Whatever interlock you may be imagining did not appear on cars until the 1980s... the result of so-called runaway cars which supposedly took off on their own while in neutral or in reverse and other conditions claimed. Car makers were forced to devise a system that forced the driver to plant their foot firmly on the brake pedal before the shifter could be moved out of "Park." But this is not the case with your Packard. There was absolutely no such thing as a shift interlock in 1955.

If the shift lever is not moving into all positions, first check the linkage. Then check to make certain the trans has not already been abused or has a stuck park pawl. Get under the vehicle and check movement on the shift arm on the side of the transmission. This will confirm whether things up top are going to move properly. With so much missing, it may simply be a linkage issue. But the only way to know is to get under the vehicle and check.

Of course getting a key made for the ignition switch is a very, very simple thing and this is a step that can be done very quickly and reasonably priced. This should be one of the very first things to do with a car like this one.

The best thing to do when buying a car like this that has been sitting a long time and missing parts is to simply resolve to go through everything top to bottom. That takes a lot of time and cash, but there aren't too many shortcuts. Yanking out original parts and rodding it will only add a lot more work and make it a lot less Packard.

Posted on: 2017/10/31 13:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As Leeedy said, there is nothing common between the linkage and ignition switch except an electrical park/neutral interlock switch located on the engine side of steering column. That only connects via a wire between the start terminal on ign sw and the starter solenoid.

Since park and reverse are at opposite ends of the shift quadrant doubtful linkage to trans itself is the issue but there are a couple of mechanical things to look for.

There are a couple of safety stops to prevent accidentally going into park or reverse. You need to pull the lever back toward the steering wheel to clear the stops at each end of the shift quadrant. If you are doing that motion and it still won't go then there could be a buildup of dirt and dry hard grease preventing the operation. The entire shift tube inside the column slides when the lever is pulled back. Another poster found that old grease and dirt had hardened in the area of the opening where the tube passes thru the trans linkage lever where it exits the tube and was preventing the tube from moving far enough for the pieces of the interlock to clear each other. Check that the tube is sliding freely as the lever is pulled back.

If that is OK there is a horizontal bellcrank assy almost below where the lever exits the steering column. It changes the vertical movement of the rod from steering column to the horizontal rod to trans. It is mounted between a frame side bracket and a trans side bracket. Make sure the brackets are tight on each side and rubber insulating pads are intact so the entire assy is not trying to twist.

Attach file:

jpg  (39.15 KB)
209_59f8cd85291a7.jpg 900X432 px

jpg  (61.01 KB)
209_59f8cd902514c.jpg 682X660 px

Posted on: 2017/10/31 14:23
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ronnie
See User information
Thanks Packard Don, I'm going to do a couple of test run with uploading pictures right now. I'm on a android phone.

Leedy, thanks alot for letting me know about when the interlock started. Run away cars, that sucks. I will defiantly check the linkage when I go this Saturday. One more thing I went to check the was the door to the gas neck/cap and to my surprise hahaha no gas tank. The fan on my engine spun, but it spun so freely I could not have spun the moter in my opinion. I moved on and saw that All but one valve cover bolt was missing. The one that was on there was loose so I pulled both valve covers and the rocker arms where intact, clean and had no play. I also have no distributor, cool and points, there is a hole behind the intake manifold where I believe the distributor went. Has any one found a hei swap for the Packard Engine.

It done one could please pull measure and take a pic of there oil dip stick please I don't have one.

I don't mind having non Packard parts in the car to get it running, i do however want yo keep the ENGINE Packard.

Posted on: 2017/10/31 14:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ronnie
See User information
HH56 thanks I just seen your post,very helpful and since I have the service manual now I'm going to be ready to tackle this pro blem

Posted on: 2017/10/31 14:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure if you mean trans or engine oil dipstick but here is a photo of the engine stick. Dimensions are from tip point to low & full mark and to bottom side of metal cap staked on dipstick.

Don't believe there is a complete distributor direct HEI swap due to the mounting but IIRC, some have machined and modified GM versions to work. Think they may have been Olds units because of the rotation but won't swear to it. Turobopackman did a couple but he hasn't posted for years and no idea if any are in service or how one would get in touch with him. IIRC, Jack Vines may have also done some work in that direction so you might send him a PM.

Several have installed the Pertronix 12v units in the Packard dist.

Attach file:

jpg  (30.42 KB)
209_59f8d617a9ac6.jpg 1280X321 px

Posted on: 2017/10/31 14:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ronnie
See User information
I ment engine thanks that's exactly what I needed.

Posted on: 2017/10/31 15:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ronnie
See User information
Pic attempt #1

Attach file:

jpg  (169.31 KB)
167221_59f8da46d2385.jpg 1536X2048 px

Posted on: 2017/10/31 15:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ronnie
See User information

Attach file:

jpg  (239.40 KB)
167221_59f8da7fafe68.jpg 1536X2048 px

jpg  (170.69 KB)
167221_59f8da93ca8f3.jpg 1536X2048 px

Posted on: 2017/10/31 15:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I was amused about the distance to your car! My own Packards are about a 10 hour drive from where I live so I generally fly up every couple months to get a couple weeks' work done. Just returned from there last Friday.

Since Packard was an independent that made its own parts, you'll likely not find much that will just bolt on from another make. On the distributor, for example, I would get the proper one, then convert it to pointless which is easy to do and you can also get a high power coil that looks like an original. As I recall, 1955 Packard was 12v POSITIVE ground so you would need to be sure to get the proper unit. Gas tanks and straps are available new and probably most steel fuel, brake and other lines can be purchased new in steel or even stainless, which would be preferable even if it costs more.

First thing to do is to get an ignition key made, which should also fit the trunk. You can worry about the door locks later. Go through the brakes thoroughly, flushing the system and rebuilding or replacing everything no matter how good it looks on the outside. Then take an inventory and acquire all the missing parts (original parts are better and will help maintain future value). A good used radiator should be easy to find and other parts too. Other than making sure it isn't actually stuck, don't try to turn over the engine when its internal condition is unknown until you've at least checked the oil to be sure there is no water in it, then have changed it and the filter. Without a dipstick and with loose valve covers, water could easily have gotten inside.

Probably too late but the last thing I would have done was to break off the tangs from the brake drums in order it put on different wheels. Since Packard uses bolts rather than studs, those tangs are crucial to being able to mount a wheel, especially when beside the road in the dark with a flat! They hold the wheel in place while putting in the bolts so now you'll need to replace all the drums too, an expense and effort that would have probably been unnecessary.

Posted on: 2017/10/31 15:25
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved