Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 106

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Re: Wagon engines '57-'58
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
One of those anomalies only Packard or a real expert on 57 knows. The signal seeker radio was an option. Appears to be a senior style unit with the fine vertical pattern on buttons with different knobs--Maybe Clipper but shape looks wrong so maybe Stude also.

The dash is fiberglass on 57 and it is a bit flimsy compared to 56. The difference in the cluster appears to be the back half of the mount. 57 has two tabs-one on each side which go on studs I believe was molded into the glass and 56 has 4 - one at each corner.

Attach file:

jpg  (47.80 KB)
209_4ca756c6afbb5.jpg 625X480 px

Posted on: 2010/10/2 10:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

BH wrote:
I don't think anyone here doubts what you're seeing. What you've described ARE Senior gauges, as used by the Detroit factory. (Not sure which year as they were slightly different, cosmetically, between '55 and '56.)

I believe the point of contention initially raised was whether they were factory-installed.

In the meantime, my gut instinct is that it was more likely a dealer or owner retrofit.

I fully recognize the "point of contention," I just don't agree with the conclusion that it's more likely a retrofit. I addressed earlier in some detail why my instinct tells me it is more likely a matter of putting in parts that were at hand during assembly of the last examples of a doomed marque.

It'll take some pics and a little more investigation. I had a nice shot of the dash, but erased it from my phone--damn thing erases when you hit "OK" after taking a pic. Nice unit, huh?

I hesitated even to do that though, because it isn't my car. However, it's stored outside unlocked, and has at least one note left by a prospective buyer inside. The car apparently doesn't get frequent visits from the owner. Wonder if that's why they call them "orphans." Actually, it's an orphan twice over, which is another reason I stick to my parts-bin-on-the-assembly-line contention re the gauge cluster.

Please note I referred to the radio as "signal-seeking," because of its single bar above the "dial." I have no way to tell its heritage. It didn't seem to have the same dimensions of the Packard style Delco unit.

Posted on: 2010/10/2 16:45
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Guy -

I agree that running changes in production are not unheard of; in fact, they are probably more common than most people realize. However, they were usually documented for the benefit of the dealers (at least back then) - often in service bulletins, but always in sales letters to dealers when vehicle pricing is affected. If you can find such a document on gauges, that would be strong supporting evidence.

Yet, it wouldn't be that difficult for a handy owner to swap a set of Senior gauges for the stock Clipper ones. I don't think it would be much of a challenge, either, to find a donor car for parts - then or now.

BTW, the clock shown in the illustration provided by HH56 appears to be the larger style as used in '56. That one's from a '56 Clipper, but - again - it's the same size as Senior Packard of same year.

Although we don't have the full document available here, I have a photocopy of a page from Studebaker Service Bulletin No. 320, from January 1957, which has an article on "1957 Packard Custom Radio with Automatic Tuning". Curiously, the 1957-58 parts book that we have, here, only shows a push button type radio (Gr. AC12), but "Automatic Tuning" is the same terminology used for the signal seeking (aka - three-way tuning) radio in the '55-'56 cars. Unfortunately, that article merely discusses "trimming" the radio for customers, but refers the reader to the '55-'56 Packard Service Manual for instructions.

In closing, know that one of my unrestored '56 Patricians has the '55 style of trunk lining, with the appearance of being factory install. I've no doubt that something like that could have happened in 1956, but it doesn't enhance the car, in my view. In fact, I'll be replacing that lining with the '56 style material when I restore the car. On the other hand, a friend has a '56 Patrician that also has the '55 trunk lining, but I believe that he intends to retain the '55 material - even when it is replaced.

To each, their own.

Posted on: 2010/10/2 19:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Again, one of the many anomalies we have found in various models where what is supposed to be there doesn't match what actually is for whatever reason. At any rate, they are there and if it is factory, would be an interesting find. What I would also find interesting is how it was done if there is any way you could see. Too bad the owner can't answer some questions.

The only cluster case shown or mentioned in Stude lit will not accept the two bottom gauges as is. Did they cut the openings in the Stude case or adapt the Packard and if so, how. Stude has 3 mounting locations, 1 on each side, 1 on bottom and Packard has one at each corner. Did they add some tabs to Packard or relocate some screws on the flimsy dash. Otherwise, they appear to be similar in size and shape. Without being able to compare them, can't tell if any other differences.

The wiring loom would also be interesting as they would either have to use a Hawk loom for the additional instruments or the original would have to be modified in some way. That would be a clue as to whether the factory did it.

Posted on: 2010/10/2 20:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

acolds
See User information
Hawk wiring harness would create another problem as hawks have a direct reading oil gauge with tubing and hose to connect to engine oil gauge no wire for the electrical gauge used on senior Packards.

Posted on: 2010/10/2 22:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You're right! I had completely forgotten that even till 64 Hawks had the mechanical oil. The only way they could use the full cluster and a Hawk loom would be add a wire in for the oil or add wires to the 57L loom for the ammeter.

Posted on: 2010/10/2 22:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Thanks for the feedback. This will definitely take some closer inspection, and even then I may not find out anything conclusive.

The speedo does have the "trip" function on it, as the senior gauges should. The dash panel looked awfully clean, but then there are some pretty good craftsmen out there who could possibly have done a pristine swap.

The radio definitely has the "signal-seeking" bar, and I doubt if it's a replacement. There is an extra aftermarket gauge on the steering column, thought, and if it's an oil gauge it would certainly indicate that a non-working electric oil gauge was installed just for cosmetics.

I'll get more pics next time I'm out there. If I'm lucky that'll be this weekend, as temps are holding well into the 70s with no sign of rain. The last hurrah for antique boating this year, I'm afraid. Once I drain the block, it's all over.

Posted on: 2010/10/8 23:35
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Well, I got pics of the car and the dash on my last visit to storage to get my boat. Now I need to figure out how to load them onto my computer. I don't see anywhere to put a cord on the phone that would plug into my USB, and I sure ain't going to pay big bucks to "upload" them over the phone's web connection.

Any thoughts on phone pic tricks would be appreciated.

Posted on: 2010/10/23 21:37
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That's too bad. Unless it has wifi or bluetooth file capability, if no usb or dock connector, then probably phone can only mms or email. Maybe next time.

Posted on: 2010/10/23 22:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
I don't see anywhere to put a cord on the phone that would plug into my USB

What kind of phone is it? Most phones use the charging port as a USB connection port.

Posted on: 2010/10/23 23:29
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved