Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
59 user(s) are online (40 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 58

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 18 »

Re: Tim's '55 Patrician
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
I stuck a bar through the pulled to prevent the assembly from turning, and after using penetrating oil and getting it tight with a regular hammer, a few full blows with a ten pound sledge broke it loose. Ok, maybe a few dozen. But it did not take days that way.

Posted on: 2011/9/10 21:00
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation. Project blog / Registry

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015 Project blog / Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Ken, which branch of the service are you in? I did 24 years active and reserve service with the USAF, but never managed to get stationed in HI. Did hit quite a few northern tier bases though, being in SAC.

Posted on: 2011/9/10 21:05
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

[size=x-small][color=000099][font=Georgia][url=https://packardinfo.c
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Another small success. After some strenuous coaxing, I managed to get the left rear wheel off of what remains of the rear hub and go to work on removing the hub from the axle. Astonishingly, what took days on the right side was a matter of minutes on the left once the rear wheel had been removed. Did the brute force used on the right hub intimidate the left one into meekly departing its axle, or was I just lucky? Now onto removing the rear drums from the spare rear axle I have just for that purpose.

Now with the drums removed, the brake system is ready for its re-building. The necessary parts have been sitting in the Patrician's trunk for weeks and with any luck and quite a bit of coffee, in a few weeks, as time permits, the Patrician may have a working brake system for the first time in years (decades?)! Photos will be coming as soon as I replace the batteries in my digital camera.

Posted on: 2011/9/11 12:56
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
Navy submariner.

Posted on: 2011/9/11 21:16
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation. Project blog / Registry

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015 Project blog / Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Tim

Have you read my last PM.

Al

Posted on: 2011/9/12 16:44
Al

1955 Patrician
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Wile
See User information
Well, after a weekend camping with my Boy Scout Troop, I was ready to get back to work on the Patrician. I mentioned earlier that I finally had gotten the recalcitrant hubs off of the rear axle and now I'm confronted with another quandary.

Now that I've got everything ready to re-install with respect to the brake system, I'm thinking that it might be a good idea to remove the backplates from the axles, clean and repaint them before completing the brake work. On the one hand, I think it would be really nice to have those all cleaned up and freshly painted. On the other hand, I can see the ugly head of mission creep arising and it could be months before I get the Patrician off of those jackstands. Any comments or suggestions either way?

I've provided some photos of the rear axles with the offending hubs removed to show the condition of the back plates. There is also a portrait of one of offending hubs. I still don't see how one of my predecessor owners managed to separate the drum from the hub. That had to have been quite a struggle.

While I'm contemplating what to do with the backplates, my next task will probably be to install the new exhaust system. That should be a pretty straight-forward operation and I'm pretty sure that I've got all of the parts and tools to complete that job! (Yeah, famous last words, right?)

Attach file:

jpg  (57.03 KB)
3929_4e7ac3a60ac61.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (61.07 KB)
3929_4e7ac3b9953ae.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (119.90 KB)
3929_4e7ac3c666dc3.jpg 1280X853 px

Posted on: 2011/9/22 0:17
PA Patrician (Tim Wile)

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I would also recommend inspecting the rear axle bearing why you have the backplate off. God know the last time it was repacked or the seals checked. Best to do it now so you don't have to tear it all apart in the future. It should be very similar to the pics I have on my project blog of replace the inner seal and repacking the bearing on my '54.

Posted on: 2011/9/22 8:21
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
Sometimes "mission creep" should be thought of as preventive maintenance. I hate having to do something twice so I usually do whatever else might need to be done while it is apart for the first job.

Posted on: 2011/9/22 9:20
Stephen
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I agree with Stephen and have been guilty of mission creep many times, but better to resolve it now.
It's a tough steak, but you just have to keep chewing.

Posted on: 2011/9/22 9:58
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I originally pulled the front fenders off my car just so I could clean up the motor..... that was 6 years ago. As Jim and I often joke....."Slippery Slope"

Posted on: 2011/9/22 10:06
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 ... 18 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved