Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
191 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 188

DM37, 53 Cavalier, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »

Re: Are 57 and 58 Packards really Packards
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
A friend of mine has drawings of mostly Clipper styling proposals on black Beaver board, ideas that were not followed through. He got them for the estate of a security guard at EGB during the last days.

These guys leaving the EGB offices near the end might have something good in those boxes.

The two men seen in the other picture leaving the Connor plant don't appear to be taking anything.

Attach file:

jpg  (51.94 KB)
129_4aa80e0283e53.jpg 504X650 px

jpg  (40.64 KB)
129_4aa80e1595d03.jpg 486X631 px

Posted on: 2009/9/9 15:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Now that I think about it, that is not the Connor plant, but rather the extreme northern portion of the Packard EGB plant, the Rolls Royce engine portion that was added for the war, and used by Packard after the war. The house visible behind "Jessie" might still be on Concorde ave, then again, maybe not.

Posted on: 2009/9/9 15:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Predictor
See User information
Quote:

acolds wrote:
The Packard V8 will fit in the Studebaker chassis the 1956 Golden Hawk is on production example. The sedan engine compartment is wide enough as the picture below shows a Packard V8 with dual 4 barrels and air this car was a 2008 Studebaker show in Lancaster Pa. as were a couple of others with the same basic engine. Note the car also has air conditioning

Yep, all the Larks had quite wide engine bays...lots more room than the Loewy/Bourke coupes.

I've got a '64 sedan with a Stude 259 and now this has got me to a-thinking LOL

Posted on: 2009/9/9 19:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Predictor
See User information
Quote:

MrPushbutton wrote:
A friend of mine has drawings of mostly Clipper styling proposals on black Beaver board, ideas that were not followed through.

Come on now...you really expect any of us to believe that YOU have a friend?

Posted on: 2009/9/9 19:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Ken -

Not my intent to start a debate, but I'd read that it was Teague who was responsible. So, I went back and checked again.

Yes, I found where Dawes ...1942-1962 states, on pg. 161, that the '57:

Quote:
...was designed by Duncan MacRae.

...and, on pg. 165, that:

Quote:
...MacRae and Schmidt had only four weeks...

However, Kimes' History... states, on pg. 621:

Quote:
Teague was sent to South Bend to work on the 1957 Packard Clipper.

Mind you that statement followed the passage about Black Bess being cut up.

Then, on pg. 624, it further states:

Quote:
Teague had carried over the 1956 Clipper taillights and resurrected the 1955 hood ornament and letters, with side trim reminscent of 1956.

Then, Langworth's ...Buyer's Guide credits Teague for the work in the text on pg. 139 and in a photo caption on pg. 140.

I couldn't find any reference in Turnquist's ...Story or Ward's Fall.... The former is slanted toward the prewar years, with a scant few pages on the end of days, while the latter is more concerned with the behind-the-scenes deal-brokering and figures on saving S-P from total collapse.

Hard to say who is correct.

Posted on: 2009/9/10 7:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Predictor
See User information
So it all boils down to a definite maybe. I know that Dick is gone and I think Bill too, anyone know if Duncan or if Vince are still around so that the question may be posed? How about anyone else that was on the scene and in the know?

Posted on: 2009/9/10 9:27
Who has my future '56 Patrician? Please let me know!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kens53clip
See User information
BH,
Afraid I do not have the Kimes book but do not doubt you. Would like to get a copy but everytime I think about it I think of something else I need to buy for my Packard and the Packard comes first. My understanding is that Kimes was the Editor and different people did different sections of the book. Do we know who wrote that section? Since many of the main players are now dead, perhaps all we can do now is talk to the writers and find out where they got their information. Think Dawes is living. Know Kimes is gone. But if someone other than Kimes wrote the section, perhaps they are still alive could give us their source. We can both agree that Teague did a heck of a job on the taillight.

Posted on: 2009/9/10 12:22
Ken
53 Clipper Deluxe 4 Dr.

Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The chapter on the 57-58 Packards was co-authored by Dwight Heinmuller and George Hamlin, both of whom are still very active in the hobby and stalwarts of PAC.

Posted on: 2009/9/10 12:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kens53clip
See User information
Thanks, Owen,
Have read many articles by Dwight Heinmuller and George Hamlin in the PAC Packard Cormorant magazine and have a great deal of respect for them, as well as for Nat Dawes. I am sure all of them believed what they wrote to be true. But it would be interesting to know their sources.

Posted on: 2009/9/10 15:28
Ken
53 Clipper Deluxe 4 Dr.

Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Here Is a tale told to me by the guy I bought my car from.Someone arranged to have a buddy come by after hours to pick up some filing cabinets.this was at EGB.Unfortunately the guy went out and got drunk and never made the files "Pick up". The next day all the stuff went to the city dump.

Posted on: 2009/9/10 16:26
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved