Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
250 user(s) are online (173 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 246

William Grosz, todd landis, dick29, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »

Re: Which Coil do you guys use?
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'm curious about that fuel pressure gauge. What does it read at idle and at say 1500-2000 rpm????

Posted on: 2011/4/21 20:08
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
ok. So after all of this what coil is installed???? A 12v or 6v coil????? A new one or a used one or what????

Posted on: 2011/4/21 20:10
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I have no idea how to use a dwell meter or what it looks like.

At first i gapped them to spec on the bench with feeler gauges. spec was .0125 to .0175. I went with .014, fairly in the middle. So i made the gap at .014 at the top of the lift of the rotor lobe.

Then the points weren't closing all the way when on the flat side of the rotor. I can re gap them, but after some research i'm going to try the plugs first. I believe i have them at .045 but that's a decent cry from .035 to .030 the tuneup manual talks about, and that may be causing an issue. Otherwise, idles better, WOT from a stop light is fine, just seemed when i was getting up to cruising speed when it would miss and carry on a bit.

Posted on: 2011/4/21 20:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
Right now a 6v napa coil is installed, IC7 or IC6 i believe, per napa spec? one or the other isn't available, and i'm using the one that is.

For the record, i think i was killing the pertronix with the solid wires. Better stick to directions next time.

At idle, i'm usually getting 2-3 PSI, depending on if i pump it or not to get it started. Usually, after a minute, it settles at about 3 psi. The most i've seen it while holding it half throttle for 3-5 seconds is about 4-4.5 PSI, maybe close to 5 but 3-4 is usually where it is.

The carb was just professionally rebuilt, new lines and filter and fittings, and new fuel pump from MM. Not saying fuel can't be an issue, just not as likely because my hands weren't in the fuel system breaking things as much as the ignition.

Posted on: 2011/4/21 20:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'd suggest getting the spark plug gap back to where it belongs first - with that kind of gap I'd think it would run very poorly at anything over low speeds.

Using a dwell meter is simple but entirely unnecessary, accurate and careful setting of the point gap followed by rechecking the ignition timing should take care of things. Put a high spot of the distributor cam on the moveable point rubbing block and move the stationary arm as needed to get the required gap. Spin it a couple of times and recheck on a different lobe - it should hold the same setting if the distributor is in good shape. Since adjusting the gap changes the timing, reset the timing after you're satisfied you have the gap correct.

Posted on: 2011/4/21 20:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
I do not recall the specs on the point gap for this vehicle, but I know for sure taht with regular non-electronic ignition there is a specific gap, not a range with .005 difference.

I did not read the entire thread, but have the distributor bushings been checked for wear? If they are worn, the gap can vary greatly when it is running. Remove the plastic rotor, move the metal short shaft side ot side and see if the point gap changes.

Posted on: 2011/4/21 21:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Fred Kanter gives good advice on checking the distributor bushing.

My ORIGINAL 1956 (not a reprint) MOtors Manual indicates point gap for all AL duistributors as .017" 46 thru 1956 EXCEPT 46 and 47 six at .020"

Delco distributor point at .016" for all 48 - 56 EXCEPT 46 and 47 6 cylinder at .022".

Spark plug gap all 46 - 52 at .030". 1953 ALL .028".

All 1954 spark plug gap .025". All 55-56 .035".

Posted on: 2011/4/21 22:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
THe .014" that they are set at now is too close. Probably causing the advanced timing isssue u're complaining about.

Posted on: 2011/4/21 22:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
It's wider now than the .014. Below is an excerpt from the Packard tune up guide that i used to set the points in that range. I'll double check them again tomorrow.

I have no way of checking the timing but by ear...advancing until it pings under load and then backing it off a tad bit. Any timing marks on the dist have long since been wore off or are gone.

Attach file:

jpg  (114.76 KB)
1420_4db120c9ad40b.jpg 940X806 px

Posted on: 2011/4/22 1:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fred kanter
See User information
I have seen such tune up guides, you will note that it is done on a typewriter and pasted up. Cheap to make, I guess worth what you paid for it new. It is not the quality or type of manual that professional mechanics used. I would rely on major brand, well established manual such as Chilton or Motors or one published by an igniiton parts manufacturer.

Timing marks are stamped into the vibration damper, soem cars have a pointer on the distributor for fine adjustment vbut it must first be timed off the damper.

Posted on: 2011/4/22 6:38
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved