Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
221 user(s) are online (144 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 219

TxGoat, David Timberlake, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »

Re: Are 57 and 58 Packards really Packards
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Eric wrote:
"I would have thought it would have been easier to do a mild restyle on the '56 Packards and sell them as '57s, but wasn't the narrow assembly line of Studebaker the reasoning behind going to a Studebaker body"?

Everone in the industry, incoluing those at S-P knew that '56 was the last year Packard could sell cars off of that body shell ("Mr. highpockets") The entire industry was going longer and lower, beginning with General Motors' 1953-54 line up, and culminating with the 1957 Chrysler line up, and no matter what you did to that 1951 body shell it was going to look hopelessly out of date in that year of rapid change.

Posted on: 2009/9/11 21:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kens53clip
See User information
Got a letter off to Mr. Dawes, Mr. Hamlin, and Mr. Heinmuller this Sunday. Hope the issue of who designed the 57 Packard Clipper can be clarified, be it Dick Teague, Bill Schmidt, Duncan McRae, some of the above, all of the above, or none of the above. Will let you know what happens.

Posted on: 2009/9/15 9:15
Ken
53 Clipper Deluxe 4 Dr.

Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Predictor
See User information
Thanks Ken for writing those letters. Can't wait to hear what they all have to say. Some 30 years ago when I first read Nat's book (and was living in NY as was he) I called him and left a message, and he actually took the time to return my call! Hopefully he remains as helpful and approachable now as he was then.

Posted on: 2009/9/15 10:20
Who has my future '56 Patrician? Please let me know!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kens53clip
See User information
Hi Packard Info Folk!

You may recall that we discussed who was the stylist or stylists of the 1957 Packard Clipper and that it was pointed out by BH that there was a difference of opinion between The Packard 1942-1962 written by Nathaniel T. Dawes and Packard: A History of the Motor Car and the Company, the pertinent part being written by Dwight R. Heinmuller and George L. Hamlin. In his book Mr. Dawes credits Duncan McRae and William Schmidt for the design. In their book Mr. Heinmuller and Mr. Hamlin credit Dick Teague for the design. In an effort to determine the reason for the difference of opinion I wrote a letter to all three authors, seeking the reasons for their opinions. So far I have received two responses.

The order here is the order in which I received them. Here, word for word, is the response from Mr. Dwight Heinmuller:

Hi Ken:

Thanks for your letter regarding the 1957 Packard Clipper. In retrospect, and after more interviews with Packard stylists and others, I conclude that the 1957 Packard Clipper was a joint effort between Duncan McRae (deceased) and Dick Teague and their respective styling organizations. McRae was head of the Studebaker Styling Studio while Teague headed Packard's, both serving under William Schmidt as SP's VP Styling (he is deceased). When Schmidt came to Packard in April, 1955, he soon canceled the Raymond Loewy Organization consultancy. Remember that the basic car was a Studebaker design, modified to give it some individuality for the Packard nameplate, mainly with 1956 Clipper taillights. Timing in styling matters is really immaterial, since artistic inspiration occurs spontaneously and ends quickly. It's the details and the refinement of the original inspiration that take time, along with obtaining management approval and dealing with engineering considerations.

It is my conclusion, after interviewing so many automotive stylists, including Schmidt, Teague, John Reinhardt and many others, that automobiles are styled by group effort, with each individual contributing certain elements, under the leadership of a Chief Stylist, who may be able to take credit for a basic shape or theme, but not the entire concept. (I also have learned that many, not all, heads of styling tend to take all of the credit, without mentioning the contributions of others.)

For example, the flow-through hood/fender swoop on each side of the 1951 thru 1955 Packards, which was very well received in automotive styling circles, was designed by a Packard stylist named Robin Jones (living). This feature was incorporated into the overall Reinhardt design. The 1953/54 Packard cormorant hood ornament was designed by Packard Stylist Charles Phaneuf. The 1957 Predictor and the 1957 Predictor-style Packards, that were never built, were conceived by Bill Schmidt, Dick Teague and Dick MacAdam, among others, and largely completed by summer, 1955. Dick Teague, of course, designed the 1955/56 Packard cathedral taillights over the Easter Holiday in 1954. It is probable that a Detroit industrial design firm contributed the front end design of the 1955 Packard and Clipper, while Teague took care of the rear end, and members of Packard Styling contributed other features.

I hope that this opinion of mine adds something positive to the question as to who designed the 1957 Packard Clipper.

Regards,
Dwight
--
Dwight R. Heinmuller

Here, word for word, is the response of Nathaniel T. Dawes:

September 17, 2009

Dear Ken,

Re: Your letter to me dated September 13. 2009

Enclosed is our prime source of the information in my book. During the compilation of historic information, Helen, my wife and helpmate of 45 years, persevered to corroborate such information included from another independent source. Starting with the SIA of March-April 1971 we compiled a draft of the sequence of design of the 57-58. We then requested an interview with Dick Teague. He responded that he would be delighted to be of any assistance in our endeavor. In March of 1973, Helen and I met with Dick in his office at AMC on Plymouth Road in Detroit (this was in conjunction with another sojourn to the Detroit Public Library). We asked Dick, "Did McRae do the 57-58 Packards?" He replied without hesitation, "Yes". That gave us our corroboration for the SIA information. Dick, as he preferred to be addressed, reminisced on his soujourn at Packard, prompted by Helen's gentle suggestions. Boy is she good!

Also in the SIA article regarding Bill Allison's torsion level suspension; he was an independent engineer trying to sell his suspension to somebody. He was not a Packard employee. That from Bill himself. That's another whole tale.

Happy Packarding!
Nat
Nat Dawes

Enclosure

(Summary of enclosure done by Ken)
Enclosed was a photocopy of pages 56 and 57 of article entitled "Postwar Packards" done by the Editors of Special-Interest Autos in their March-April 1971 issue. In pertinent part the article states "The 1957 Packards that Teague and Schmidt had designed never made steel. Instead production 1957's were facelifted Studebakers, quickly transmogrified by Duncan McRae to incorporate some of the Predictor's side styling, the 1956 Clipper's cathedral tail lamps, and a bit of Packardish grille." The article also describes William M. Schmidt as Studebaker-Packard's Vice President of Design, Dick Teague as head of Packard Styling, and Duncan McRae as head of Studebaker Styling. (The article does mistakenly state that William Allison, designer of torsion level suspension, was a Packard employee, and that is what Mr. Dawes is commenting on in his letter.) The article cites as some of its sources George Hamlin (for research consultation regarding production figures), Dick Teague, Vice President of Automotive Design of American Motors Corporation, and William M. Schmidt Associates, Inc.

A response from Mr. Hamlin has not yet been received but will be posted if received.

Thanks to Dwight Heinmuller and Nathaniel Dawes for their responses!

Ken

Posted on: 2009/9/22 11:25
Ken
53 Clipper Deluxe 4 Dr.

Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Ken, interesting information and I'm pleased that someone took the initiative on my earlier suggestion to contact the authors directly. As I recall, Allison was a Hudson employee "on leave" to pursue his TL concept.

Posted on: 2009/9/22 11:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Good work Ken! I hope the discussion here in the public light of the Internet helped lend some weight to your request for information.

As I began to read the responses, it seemed as if the work on the President-based '57 Clippers was a collaborative effort between Teague and MacRae, which made sense.

However, Teague giving full credit to MacRae, corroborating what was had been published in SIA, appears to tip the scales.

Posted on: 2009/9/22 11:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Predictor
See User information
Kudos Ken! Thank you from the bottom of my bottom.

Posted on: 2009/9/22 13:05
Who has my future '56 Patrician? Please let me know!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Ken, great sleuthing! I do see one flaw - the 1956 Clipper's cathedral tail lamps as mentioned in SIA's article. The 56 Clipper's tailights were not the cathedral taillights that were mounted on 55-56 Packards. They were a separate design - I don't know who? But grafting them to the Studebaker bodies was a good move. This was obviously SIA's goof, not yours. Kudos to you for taking up the challenge and reporting back the respondents replies.

Posted on: 2009/9/22 13:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Ken, great work. I intended to contact both men, but have been really busy of late. I am glad you were able to do this and clear the air. Nat's recollections of Dick Teage mesh perfectly with mine, he was exceptionally gracious, a real gentleman.

Posted on: 2009/9/22 20:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Ken: Great work. It is very interesting reading your post on the replies you got.

One side note William Schmidt didn't merely cancel Studebaker's styling consulting contract with Raymond Loewy's
firm. Studebaker had signed a ten year deal with Loewy's firm. In 1955 Studebaker was in third year of the deal with Loewy. To buy out the other seven years of the Loewy's contract it cost S&P nearly one million dollars.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/9/22 20:24
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved