Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 205

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 42 »

Re: 1956 Clipper Hot Rod
Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Well nothing of note yet on the research, however I got a phone call from the Studebaker museum and they said they had info to send me and please forward $43. Well before I send them $43 I am going to make sure that they have info and not just a note that, "they are sorry but they don't have any information". I have been burned like that before. As for photos, the shop has a throwaway camera that I gave them and they said they will take some pictures as progress is made. However I will hedge my bet and stop off periodically and take some myself.

PS: they say "that everyone that comes in loves the car(why not, what's not to love" Of course he is still trying to get me to do a body off. I told him not unless he is willing to do the job for the original price and in the time frame contracted for. Then the place gets kind of quiet. Truth to tell I wish I could but the lottery fairy has not rested on my shoulder yet so...............

PPS: Called the Studebaker museum today and they told me that the info they have is the "Build Sheet" for the car,
so I am mailing them the check and will wait in breathless anticipation to see what light this sheds on the car.

Posted on: 2009/5/16 16:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Well a little more progress. It is almost down to bare metal and they will start fixing the rust next week and then get into primer. It is at least starting every day, however it has developes a nasty spurting leak on the side of the fuel pump so now I have to get another on. any body got any current later model cross over numbers for something that any major auto mart might have???

Posted on: 2009/5/29 13:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Go to the local parts store and look up some for a '50s Y-Block Ford, say a 292 or 312. A Carter book with pictures is how I found the one I used on my Patrician, and after over two years of daily driving it was working perfectly.

Posted on: 2009/5/29 20:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
AL,

Good work thinking of the Studebaker Museum for some info. I wonder if others could find copies of original build sheets this way. $43 is a little steep, but if they are good quality, probably worth it for authenticity and completeness.

Will be interested to see what you get.

Tell your body shop that you have so much faith in them that they'll do a near-body-off quality job without the extra expense. Flattery can work wonders.

Posted on: 2009/5/31 13:00
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Guy:

On the surface $43 is on the steep side but as long as it is for positive info I don't mind besides where else can I get it. They could charge 3 or 4 times that and then the same question "where else can you get it". So it is a reasonable enough amount for the time being. I was afraid they would pull a telephone co scam, I.E. you call information and ask for the number for an individual because it is NOT in the phone book or you are out of state, and they tell the number is unpublished and charge you anyway. Now there is a scam. You asked for the number for an individual not the status of the account. It seems to me that if they are going to charge you the least they could do is GIVE you what you asked for, anything else there should be no charge.

I will try the flattery bit. In the meantime I will keep taking pictures and when they finish the rust repair and get into primer I will try to figure out how to get the pictures posted out here.

PS I am still playing telephone tag with the Studebaker mus. Hopefully I will be able to get him this week and get it taken care of. However from what I did get there does not seem to be any build sheet info on the engine.

Posted on: 2009/6/1 14:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

AL wrote:
Guy:

I will try the flattery bit.

Doughnuts are good, too. Just don't spoil 'em. No progress, no doughnuts.

Posted on: 2009/6/2 21:48
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Well I got the scoop sheet from the Studebaker museum. Ir was rather disappointing, but it WAS something. Not as much info as I would have liked and I would have thought that the build sheet would have been alot more inclusive, like the engine option for one. Of course I am used to MOPAR build sheets which goes so far as to indicate the zodiac sign the car was made under. Still it is a piece of documentation. The one glitch is the copy service, it truncated both the right and left side and cut off some info. I called the curator and he will correct the problem. The next time I go to the body shop I will check the engine numbers and see how they mate to the serial/vin

Posted on: 2009/6/9 11:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Yup, the information on the Packard production record is rather scant for some models, but at least you have the means to decode it here at P'Info.

I suspect engine selection was not listed as a build code because the choice was limited by model - essentially a one-to-one basis. However, if special dispensation was granted by the factory for some other engine, I'd like to believe that there would be some sort of notation elsewhere on the record.

Of course, the VIN stamping on the block will tell the tale. If that engine IS authentic to this particular car, I'd also like to know the letter prefix of the Utica engine number that's stamped on that block.

Posted on: 2009/6/9 12:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
al, in the v/8 section i have the part number posted for the fuel pum at oreillys.

Posted on: 2009/6/9 19:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
So, any news AL?

Posted on: 2009/8/2 11:46
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7) 8 9 10 ... 42 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved