Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
196 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 191

Don B, BigKev, 37Blanche, R H, RCJ56, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Bottom Bottom   Previous Topic Previous Topic   Next Topic Next Topic   Register To PostTopic is Locked

« 1 ... 64 65 66 (67) 68 69 70 ... 170 »

Re: Wade's Workshop
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thursday 23rd December 2010

After a morning spent with the granddaughters dropped in at the workshop and found Old Blue back in her spot. Also learned that she'd been up on Rick's hoist with the motor running and in gear while audio diagnostics were conducted for the source of the whine. It is the diff but exactly what or why isn't yet known. Wade had called Award Diffs who advised him to bring the pumpkin back for examination but Wade wants them to hear it in action. Accordingly Award are going to arrange for a tilt tray truck to pick up Old Blue for transportation to their shop. But.....this will take place after their Christmas break when they resume on 10th January.

And Terry, speaking of resuming on the 10th, today I received a call from Dennis at ABC Bearings about the bearing search. I'll be sending you a message with details about the call but, because ABC has also shut down and re-opens on the 10th, nothing is now going to happen until then.

Later this afternoon Wade will be travelling south to Helensburg to pick up the rest of the sheet metal and the remaining painted parts for The Fossil. He's taking the workshop car trailer because he needs to transport the front mudguards(fenders) amongst other things and '34 'guards just don't fit in the back of a Ute.

Wade had also contacted John about returning his '39, he'd tried a couple of times over the last few days but couldn't reach him. So after the trailer is unloaded tomorrow, we'll return the '39 in time for it to spend Christmas at home.

Attach file:

jpg  (36.72 KB)
226_4d130625c75aa.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/12/23 3:22
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thursday 24th December 2010

Quote:
Ozstatman wrote:Thursday 23rd December 2010.....Later this afternoon Wade will.....pick up the rest of the sheet metal and the remaining painted parts for The Fossil......

Didn't quite work out as expected because not everything was picked up yesterday. Although the bonnet(hood) side panels had been painted for some time they didn't come home. Joel the painter had been looking at them and had only just realised that the rib at the bottom of each bonnet(hood) side panel should have the lighter gray colour on it rather than the panel being the darker gray all over. Or maybe that was the darker gray on the rib rather than the lighter gray all over? As well there were the "buttons" or "plugs", which fill the holes in the valance panels at the spring hangers. Because Wade had posted these to Joel only about a week ago they were in primer and need to be finished. So another trip south will be required in the New Year but this time sans the need for car trailer transport of parts home.

Wade had unloaded the smaller parts before I arrived, toe board, front floor panel and sidemount covers. The front mudguards(fenders) were still on the trailer but had been untied ready for removal. First they were taken off the trailer and temporarily stored on the workshop floor with suitable protection. The trailer was then pushed out of the workshop with Wade steering by means of the jockey wheel while I lent some motive power. Then up to the mezzanine level, aka the office roof, where the pool table being stored there was cleared of an accumulation of stuff and a protective layer of padding laid on one of Lochie's old oval racetracks, a board about 8' x 4'. Very carefully the right front mudguard(fender) was carried up the stairs, they too having been cleared of obstructions beforehand, manouvered around the cage and gently positioned on the pool table. Similarly for the left front, and although it was the intention to have them side by side pointing in the one direction, this one was reversed because there just wasn't enough room that way. Took a bit of shuffling, changing places and body bending before it was in place and could be covered up until required for re-installation on The Fossil.

The other task for the day was returning John's '39 TJ Richards bodied Six to him. Wade drove the '39 while I followed in the Ute. John was pleased to have the car home for Christmas and will now be able to take it out for some runs with his son and his son's family.

A very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Prosperous New Year to all.

Attach file:

jpg  (34.25 KB)
226_4d140ed09f83d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (30.11 KB)
226_4d140edd3bec2.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (12.20 KB)
226_4d140f0ee85c3.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (32.61 KB)
226_4d140f2a7346e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (23.78 KB)
226_4d140f510c8b6.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (26.98 KB)
226_4d140f5f009e5.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.85 KB)
226_4d140f74d028e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.99 KB)
226_4d140f8a32788.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.43 KB)
226_4d140f96db091.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (30.71 KB)
226_4d140fbcf16db.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (27.46 KB)
226_4d140fcb4dc5a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (26.88 KB)
226_4d140fdbcd3e3.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (36.44 KB)
226_4d140fef953be.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.26 KB)
226_4d14100ceed98.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (51.24 KB)
226_4d14101c7066c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (46.82 KB)
226_4d14102bde474.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (49.64 KB)
226_4d14104495297.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (23.13 KB)
226_4d14105dc8651.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/12/23 22:20
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Friday 31st December 2010

Quote:
Ozstatman wrote:Saturday 4th December 2010.....And on my way out of the workshop had a call from starliner, Chris.....about his '48 Standard Eight Club Sedan. The '48 is at a hot rod shop on the outskirts of Sydney and Chris is going out on Saturday morning to do some work on it. Because I'd previously expressed an interest in seeing it if I could, Chris was kind enough to call and arrange for my "viewing" of the '48 on Saturday.......

Following from my visit when I viewed Chris's '48 Club Coupe cum Woodie, today Chris send me some some progress pic's and a note on it's progress(edited version below).

A few recent shots of the 48 at TJs - 50mm(2") has been taken out of the front pillars to make front lines parallel to the rear. I rebuilt and refitted the carb, fired it up on the last visit and she ran well - no funny noises etc which is very good news. Meanwhile TJ reckons I'd be wise to forget the idea of Jag front and rear ends and consequent right hand drive conversion. I think he's probably right, if the car drives, rides and handles as well as the 54 clipper I'd be very happy.

Happy New Year to all on PackardInfo

Attach file:

jpg  (44.19 KB)
226_4d1d94c0dd02d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (41.67 KB)
226_4d1d94cba652d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (51.26 KB)
226_4d1d94d7aaf87.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (51.54 KB)
226_4d1d94e1eeda3.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (45.76 KB)
226_4d1d94ebd4004.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/12/31 3:32
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tuesday 4th January 2011

Arrived at the workshop to find another '39 filling the space vacated by John's '39 before Christmas. But it wasn't Noel's '39 120 Touring Sedan, instead it's Richard's '39 Six Convertible Coupe! The Convertible Coupe had come in yesterday for attention to: 1) the throttle linkage and, 2) the gear linkages. Plan is to turn it over in a day or two so that it then can go back to Les to finish off the left door repairs he started prior to last years National Rally.

The throttle linkage was the first thing tackled. And this entailed removing the gear change linkages to the arms on the steering column to gain what little access could be afforded in that area, it's tight! It proved quite a difficult task to remove the throttle linkage because with an arm at each end it needed to be manouvered out from the accelerator pedal, once that was disconnected, then turned, squeezed, shuffled and sworn at before it even looked like it was possible to get it out. And eventually out it came! Once out it was quite apparent that the pins locking the arms at each end of the cross shaft were worn and needed replacement. Wade thought he had some lock pins(term?) roll pins(correction) on hand but of course now couldn't put a hand on them. So a walk round to Repco was required where two packets of assorted sized pins were bought. And, funny thing, on the way back to the workshop Wade remembered where he'd put the pins! Also on the way back to the workshop Wade received a call from Noel and was able to tell him to bring his '39 in. Back at the workshop drilled out the cross shaft and the arms, inserted new larger pins, and there you had it, a throttle linkage cross shaft without slop! The rod from the accelerator pedal to the cross shaft arm was also very floppy but with judicious matching of washer thicknesses most of that was also eliminated. Next another fun time, putting it back from whence it came. With me, inside the '39, pulling a wire tied to the ball of the accelerator pedal shaft and Wade manouvering the cross shaft assembly, from the engine side, it was then another fight to get it back in. And in it went. Then all the other linkage parts, accelerator pedal and carpet back in place dry testing showed everything working without slop and full travel. Only part now proving cantankerous is the hand throttle, appears there's a kink in the cable preventing it from being pulled out more than 1/2"!

From the throttle linkage it was now onto the gear linkages. During the course of removing the accelerator pedal Wade had removed two pieces of MDF from the base of the clutch pedal. Why were these there? That only became apparent later. To help access the gear linkages undercar, the front of the '39 was jacked up and jackstands put in place. A lunch break was also taken, Rick had BBQ'd some rissoles, eggs, tomatoes and onions - delicious. During lunch who should arrive but Noel, complete with clashing or grinding of gears his main source of concern this time round although he also had a laundry list of other matters to be attended to on the '39. Then onto the gear linkages, set up with an 11/64" drill through the linkage arms on the bottom of the steering column(the manual says 3/16" but it doesn't fit). The rods to the bell cranks were reconnected, also with judicious use of washers to take up any sloppiness. All appeared to fit and align well but testing of the setup proved otherwise. And this is where the MDF came in! Now that the MDF wasn't in place, in selecting reverse and holding the clutch pedal to the floor I could feel the pedal move back up during this process. Apparently the MDF was there to prevent the clutch pedal from being completely depressed to the floor! The clutch pedal was coming into contact with the rod from the steering column linkage arm to the bellcrank transferring the motion to the 1st/reverse linkage rod to the transmission arm. After a number of observations, both from the topside and by Wade under the '39, it was decided, seeing we had another '39 available for comparison purposes, to put Noel's up on Rick's hoist and see if it could tell us anything. Noel's '39, when up on the hoist, was very similar but the 1st/reverse rod from the bellcrank to the transmission had a slightly different shape. And in operating Noel's '39, when shifting into reverse, it was observed that although the clutch pedal came very, very close to the clutch pedal it didn't touch. So out came the 1st/reverse linkage rod from the '39 CC and, being a thick rod, the hot spanner was applied to enable it to be bent it into a more acceptable shape. Took about 6 heat applications, followed by cooling and check fitting cycles before the required shape was achieved. And with the 1st/reverse linkage rod now back in it necessitated adjustment to the linkage rod from the lower bell crank to the steering column arm, so again Mr 11/64" was again back in play. Adjustment done, now to fire it up and test everything for real instead of the previous dry runs. Only trouble was it wouldn't start, appears the battery is low, so was put on overnight charge for action tomorrow.

Attach file:

jpg  (43.71 KB)
226_4d22e9218dd2c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.19 KB)
226_4d22e9325b2fc.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (26.44 KB)
226_4d22e94b75ec4.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (28.67 KB)
226_4d22e95ba8f44.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.17 KB)
226_4d22e96c789e2.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.42 KB)
226_4d22e983b0890.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (30.35 KB)
226_4d22e99264614.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (30.95 KB)
226_4d22e9a423b0a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (11.47 KB)
226_4d22e9b5b8814.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (38.12 KB)
226_4d22e9c2e1254.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/1/4 4:36
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Wednesday 5th January 2011

Wade had had the '39 CC running by the time I arrived this morning but it was running like a hairy goat. In investigating this behaviour Wade found there was a good spark at the coil but not much of one by the time it got to the spark plugs. Because of that, Wade had taken the distributor cap off and the plug leads were now on the bench for testing. This revealed that whoever made the leads didn't do it properly as there wasn't a path from one end to the other, and these are copper wire leads. The leads have crimp on ends, both for the cap and the plugs, so Wade decided to ensure the spark had a path to travel by soldering all the connections. Only trouble was there weren't any crimp ends on two of the leads at the cap end. Couldn't find any on the shelf so around to Repco but they didn't have any and neither did a nearby auto-electrician. But the trip to Repco wasn't entirely wasted, while there Wade bought a new brake light switch for Noel's '39, it's a Fuelmiser brand CSL23, 2 prong and fits VW's. Back at the workshop John came up with some old leads which provided a couple of crimp ends, only trouble with these was, after soldering them to the ends of the leads, they didn't fit the cap! This prompted another search of Wade's shelves which resulted in finding an old coil to cap lead with crimped ends! These crimp ends were appropriated and soldered to the '39's leads and fitted to the distributor cap. Well, five did, and one didn't! But after fiddling, filing and judicious grinding it fitted. Then it was time to fire up the '39 CC. Didn't spring to life on the first turn but did come to life. Still running like a hairy goat, it obviously wasn't right. Pulled the plugs for inspection, only one looked like it was burning properly, and Wade also decided to do a compression test. Not good - see pic. Unfortunately the owner, Richard, is away at present so Wade isn't able to pass on this latest news. Not being able to do more at this time I cleaned the plugs, regapped and re-installed them. Started up again,seemed to run a little better, but still raggedly. The opportunity was also taken to "test" the gear linkages, that's if you can test that in the space of about 6' because the '39 CC was parked in. "Test" proved OK, well as much as 6' would allow.

Now what? Parked in, couldn't take the '39 CC for a test drive, so attention was turned to Noel's '39. It was still up on Rick's hoist, and yesterday after I left Wade had taken the bottom of the bellhousing off so he could visually inspect the clutch. Today though, first task was to take a closer look at the Clutch. With the '39 up on the hoist, I operated the clutch pedal a number of times, and Wade under the car observing. Then roles were reversed, I'd never seen a clutch in operation, so this opportunity wasn't to be missed. Not enlightening, although understanding the theory, it was neverless instructive to see pedal, rod, clutch fork, throw out bearing, pressure plate in operation and finally the clutch plate released from it's hold. But from depressing the clutch pedal during this it was obvious there was about 2" of travel or freeplay before the pedal started to act. Accordingly the freeplay on the pedal was adjusted to provide only about 1/2" - 3/4" of travel. Hoist back down, the '39 was started up and it too was put through a "test" within the confines of the hoist. Seemed better but still not great. However in firing it up, it too was running raggedly, with I think No 2 sparkplug obviously suffering from blowby although a set of NOS plugs had been installed not that long ago. So out with the plugs and replaced them with a new set of Champions, I'd bought for the '41 but hadn't used. You can thank me later Noel. Next the brake light switch was replaced and also the electrical fittings to the switch because the VW switch uses spade types in lieu of the prong types. With the old switch removed, new switch installed, wiring reconnected and tested, it works! So Noel, Wade was able to tick one item off your list. That done it was time for a real test drive. Not so good, no power, with tests deliberately slipping the clutch tending to confirm that's where the power is going.

Right, now came the fun part, shuffling Packards and other cars so Noel's '39 could occupy the space presently taken by the '39 CC. The CC was parked in by a Toyota Soarer that was a write-off, it was sitting on the ground after a 150kmh prang which did in the suspension. But first John's Commodore needed to be moved. easy just drive it out. Then the little Mazda Ute needed to go outside, also relatively easy but needed to be pushed because it wasn't running. Then John took the shop forklift to the business next door, with a sixpack of beer in hand, to borrow the long fork extensions for the Soarer move. While John was chasing fork extensions Wade drove Big Red onto Rick's hoist, it's going up in the air tomorrow. John, back with the fork and the extensions then tried lifting the Soarer from the front, didn't work. But side on it did, with a lot of shuffling of the fork 2' this or 2' that way. After all with a Soarer hanging off the end of it it can't exactly spin in it's own length now. Even with me hanging off the back of the fork to provide some weight for the rear steering wheels. But between the fork and the space vacated by the Mazda Ute was a Toyota Camry which also needed to be pushed to a temporary park for this exercise. The way now clear the Soarer was moved the 15' across the shop and deposited at it's new temporary domicile. The '39 CC was then driven outside and parked. The Toyota Camry returned from whence it came. Noel's '39 was then backed into the space vacated by the '39 CC. Wade's Ute was driven outside from the spot at the workshop entrance usually occupied by Big Red. And finally the '39 CC took up residence in the space usually occupied by Big Red. Before the test drive of Noel's '39 it had been Wade's intention to drive it home tonight, but a short drive in it convinced him he should make other transportation arrangements for his trip home.

Attach file:

jpg  (37.77 KB)
226_4d244c3abb325.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.11 KB)
226_4d244c48e28fa.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (10.18 KB)
226_4d244c6a43e05.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (29.16 KB)
226_4d244c8aaa0d5.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (70.93 KB)
226_4d244ca48939f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (19.97 KB)
226_4d244cca548c6.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (23.55 KB)
226_4d244cd805ef7.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (36.15 KB)
226_4d244ceec3651.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.16 KB)
226_4d244cfadd40c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (38.70 KB)
226_4d244d18ba049.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.74 KB)
226_4d244d29f0cc3.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (59.03 KB)
226_4d244d3f6d742.jpg 912X512 px

jpg  (30.18 KB)
226_4d244d5a9bdec.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/1/5 5:52
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Thursday 6th January 2011

After a morning with the granddaughters, arrived at the workshop to find yesterday afternoon's car shuffling had continued. Big Red was parked up on the roof while Noel's '39 and Old Blue had changed places in the workshop. The change took place because Old Blue should be going out next week to Award Diffs and Noel's '39 will be laid up for a some time while the clutch, trans and the other items on Noel's list are attended to. And speaking of the '39 being laid up, it was already up on jackstands, with the tailshaft, transmission and clutch and pressure plate out. Wade, together with John and Graham's assistance, had removed the trans/OD unit. Only thing left to come out, at this stage, was the flywheel, and this task was completed shortly after my arrival.

With everything out it was time to try and diagnose the problem. One thing that had been found earlier in the week were a number of very small rollers in the bottom of the bellhousing. And when Wade removed the pressure plate more rollers rolled out. A cursory examination didn't reveal anything so John was called in and his eagle vision soon spotted the cause. Each of the three levers, which operate the pressure plate, pivot on a pin and one of the pins was spitting out rollers. Cause of the slipping, shuddering, grinding and crashing was now explained. Wade rang Burt Bros to ascertain whether they were open with a view to taking the flywheel, pressure and clutch plates over for re-surfacing/re-building. They are open but before taking the parts over Wade rang Noel, and it was just as well, because Noel's going to contact Peter Packard to determine if he might have a replacement pressure plate.

Next item was the transmission. Noel had been told by Peter Packard, when the trans was last apart, that it wouldn't be long before it needed new syncro rings. So what did Noel have in his hot little hand on Tuesday when he brought the '39 over, a pair of brand new syncro rings. All that was needed now was to take out the old ones and put in the new ones, sounds easy. It is, relatively speaking, but to do so first the OD needs to be separated from the trans then the trans needs to be disassembled. In the OD there are a number of snap rings or circlips which need to be removed in order to dissemble it and detach it from the trans. Two of these in particular are real P.I.T.A.'s to remove, a large snap ring and the final circlip which permits the OD to trans housing to be removed from the trans. Took the entire mechanical resources of workshop, Rick, John and Wade to do it. John played the major role in this with his vast experience in trans rebuilds used to good advantage, but mainly it was perseverance, pure stubbornness and not willing to say die attitude that won through in the end. That done John immediately retired for a cold beer 1) to toast his victory and 2) to drown his sorrows as Australia was being walloped by England in the current cricket test match being shown live on TV. The shame, the shame. Then it was down to new for old, synchros that is. Had to drop the cluster in the box, a task Wade didn't want to do if it could be helped, but there just isn't quite enough room to take out the spigot shaft and swing out the main shaft without doing so. With the main shaft out it was then down to sliding out the synchro housing and removing the synchros. Wade hadn't done this before but was aware that in sliding the outer collar off the springs and balls inside would attempt to make a break for freedom. Wade thought he had this aspect covered with various fingers of his and mine pressed against the obvious ball and spring exit points. Only trouble was we had mis-identified the ball and spring points so there was a minor explosion of flying balls and springs when the collar came off. Although it was being slid very slowly and as gently as possible the release took but a millisecond. Of the 3 springs and 3 balls, 2 springs and a ball were on the bench, 1 ball hit my stomach then my foot and was resting on the floor, 1 spring was still in the synchro while 1 ball couldn't be found. Isn't that just typical? Not to fear though, no doubt ABC Bearings can provide a ball, or closer to home, Wade has a spare used main shaft complete with spigot and synchros on the shelf. The good news is the new synchros fit like a glove.

Attach file:

jpg  (36.82 KB)
226_4d25905b96b3e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.88 KB)
226_4d25906987953.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (29.75 KB)
226_4d259079ef1ec.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (48.22 KB)
226_4d25908545742.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (49.53 KB)
226_4d2590972a5da.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (26.01 KB)
226_4d2590ad369ac.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (42.38 KB)
226_4d2590c89bb34.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (29.57 KB)
226_4d2590ee3b908.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (43.55 KB)
226_4d2590fc7d017.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (45.82 KB)
226_4d25910e0665f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.01 KB)
226_4d25911f51e07.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/1/6 4:54
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Friday, 7th January 2011

Quite a change of direction today. For one thing Wade arrived at the workshop wearing a suit and tie. Why would he do that? To help me out by driving a Packard as a wedding car, that's why. The sister of one of my son's friends is getting married and Greg, my son, volunteered dad as being able to provide Packards for the wedding. Plus Kath and I do know the brides parents, although from a while ago. And stupid, me, not being able to say no said yes. So my '41 120 Coupe and PACA Club President Michael's '54 Convertible were made available for the day but as Michael was working and couldn't do the driving Wade was shanghaied into the '54's driving seat. Early this morning Michael dropped off the '54 at the workshop and continued onto work. Later, when Wade arrived, the Packards were adorned with the ribbons, bows and flowers of wedding regalia. Wade having done weddings previously with either Old Blue or Big Red is well versed in the dress up requirements and advised and showed me how to fit the '41 out accordingly.

Forecast for the day was showers with sunny periods but early on it was mostly long showers with short sunny breaks. Fortunately by the time we were due to pick up the bride and bridal party it was mainly sunny. This continued through the rest of the afternoon. Although with the top down in the '54 on the way from the church to the reception there was a short shower. Wade pulled over because of this but by the time he'd prepared to put the top up the shower was over so continued in top down mode. Only downside for the day was a "noise" from the '54 just as it was approaching the reception venue. Bride and groom unloaded, bonnet(hood) up, engine started and the noise appeared to come from the front of the engine. Sounded like it might be a generator or maybe a waterpump bearing(another one?!). Wade drove the '54 back to the workshop while I followed in the '41 and by the time he arrived the noise had gone! Wade is taking the '54 home tonight and bringing it back to the workshop tomorrow morning where, with all being well, I intended to then return the car to Michael. But after ringing Michael he's coming over to the workshop tomorrow to see in person if anything is amiss.

Attach file:

jpg  (32.21 KB)
226_4d26ef4d0c938.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (39.13 KB)
226_4d26ef61275fd.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (55.07 KB)
226_4d26ef8280a8a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (47.46 KB)
226_4d26ef91af140.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.92 KB)
226_4d26ef9eef718.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.43 KB)
226_4d26eff0e33d0.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/1/7 5:51
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Saturday 8th January 2011

Arrived at the workshop to find Michael's '54 Convertible parked outside with the bonnet(hood) up and the generator removed. Wade was in early, even beating John in, and had been hard at work only to find problem after problem confronting him. First, the bolts the generator swings on are metric - 13mm. Second, the rear bush is spinning in the housing. Third, part of the clips that hold the brushes in place have scored the commutator. Fourth, the wire for one of the brushes wasn't secured to the brush, although it was in the hole in the brush it was completely loose and the brush fell off when the generator was taken apart. And fifth and last, there was no cover over the rear bush, so no lubrication or dirt protection. Got on the phone to Michael to learn he was on his way and would be there in 10 minutes, and on arrival he was shown the results of the generator tear down. Michael noted that the pulley on the Autolite generator off the '54 was different from the pulleys on the '51 generators he had at home. Then Michael and I then drove back to Michael's house to pick up his spare generator.

At Michael's house he pulled out the spare generator which had been on the '51 200 Deluxe Sedan in his garage. He actually had this generator in the trunk of the '54 when we went to Kangaroo Island for the National Rally last year but taken it out afterwards. Also decided to pull the generator mounting bracket off the '51 just in case it was different to the one on the '54. Back at the workshop it was obvious they were two different generators and cleaning up the '51 generator bracket I found "Delco" stamped into it as well as being Packard engine grey in colour. Also cleaned up the bracket off the '54 and it was Packard gold in colour so it's the right one for the 359 engine. It's exactly the same as the one off the '51 engine except it doesn't have "Delco" stamped into it. From the spacers used on the generator mounting bolts, the 13mm nuts and bolts and the pulley on the generator it appears that a generator "swapsie" was performed sometime in the vehicles past. Then with the '51 generator mounted in the '54 the fan belt was installed, only it was much too long. The pulley on the Auto-Lite generator being much bigger than the pulley on the '51's. No joy with Wade's spare fan belts and even digging into John's stocks didn't help. The local Repco store had just closed so Michael set off to the nearest open parts store at Gladesville. Meanwhile I returned home for a pit stop and to await Michael's call that all was now well. Call received, back down to the workshop, and with me driving the '54 I followed Michael home. Can now tick off another Packard I've driven, but many many more to go I hope. Michael then returned me to the workshop where I picked up my car and returned home.

But, backtracking a little to my time at Michael's house today. Although I'd seen both his '51's on a previous occasion I can't remember if I photographed and published the Thief Proof Numbers and other related info for them. Dave, I'm sure, will know. Because what caught my attention was the Thief Proof Number on the '51 Touring Sedan in the carport, its A00050, and seems a very low number. The Briggs plate is 2462-14027, the Packard plate is 2462 I4027 and engine number J222379. Dave, I'd appreciate a comment on the A00050 number please, and it's relationship to the other numbers if possible. Going from that I also looked at the numbers on the '51 Deluxe Touring Sedan in the garage which has Thief Proof A32075, Briggs 2492-15839, Packard 2492 I5839 but the engine number is unreadable.

Attach file:

jpg  (38.41 KB)
226_4d281858bbb9a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (24.59 KB)
226_4d28186f3da65.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.53 KB)
226_4d281883a0715.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (36.78 KB)
226_4d28189be57a0.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (41.46 KB)
226_4d2818b6ab8e4.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (44.71 KB)
226_4d2818c29fa9c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (34.81 KB)
226_4d2818e66b69b.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (39.18 KB)
226_4d2819072ee5a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (46.21 KB)
226_4d28191913698.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (38.36 KB)
226_4d28192e64dc3.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (46.98 KB)
226_4d281947f1286.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (39.73 KB)
226_4d28195cebc17.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (42.85 KB)
226_4d28197a7fcee.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (42.71 KB)
226_4d2819875b804.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (44.94 KB)
226_4d281993b43ca.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (28.33 KB)
226_4d28199f65b9e.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (42.10 KB)
226_4d2819aed2e3a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (17.83 KB)
226_4d2819bd94fee.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.96 KB)
226_4d2819d61c887.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (37.35 KB)
226_4d2819e480c93.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/1/8 3:03
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Monday 10th January 2011

First stop this morning was ABC Bearings for Terry, traumjaegercat, in relation to the pair of front wheel bearings needed for his '37 Pontiac. There had been a mix-up just before Christmas when I failed to properly instruct Dennis as to one of the parts required. Because of that Dennis managed to track down a part Terry already had instead of the one required. All sorted out today, pair of bearings purchased, and they will be winging their way to Merry England tomorrow or the next day, once shipping arrangements are finalised. While at ABC had a call from DavidM seeking Wade's mobile phone number. Wanted to talk to him about Award Diffs and the advisability of having them set-up a diff for his '29 633 Sedan.

At the workshop Wade had been working on cleaning up Noel's trans and overdrive in preparation for re-assembly. My contribution to this was to make a set of gaskets for the trans/OD. And I think for the first time, I made a major slip up. In making the gasket for between the trans and the OD adapter I used the OD adapter as the template and ball peen hammered the outline, cut-outs and bolt-holes. Only trouble was two of the holes I thought were bolt holes weren't, so had to re-make the gasket. But never fear, we now have this gasket on hand and it can be used on a non OD trans. During all this Noel arrived with some parts, including a set of Auto-Lite 3136 spark plugs for the '39. He tells me in judging that there's a one point deduction for using Champion plugs, so now it'll be "correct", just in case any judge sticks his head under the bonnet(hood)! Due in part to last weeks exploding springs and balls episode, (one ball still not found) but more so for the new springs the kit provides, Wade asked Noel to make use of his US contacts to source a springs and ball kit, which he did on the spot. Then DavidM arrived, he'd taken his diff over to Award and on the way home called into the workshop for some Packard group therapy. David was also able to provide more details about the 2012 Expedition Across Australia, he's undertaking in his 1912 Maxwell. See the pic's in the link provided, some of the cars and bikes are still being/to be built!

During the course of Wade's parts cleanup the rear trans bearing was noticed as being less than perfect. Then from there the front bearing as well as the pair of bearings in the rear of the OD were also inspected and will also be replaced. So, I made my second visit to ABC for the day and picked up the required bearings after Wade phoned Dennis who advised they were all in stock. Back at the workshop re-assembly of the OD commenced, what a chore that is, the time and effort required just to get the rear assembly in place seemed way out of proportion to the parts in question. But as usual, perseverance paid off, although it took a fair number of attempts, dis-assembling, re-assembling, jiggling, poking and such before success came Wade's way.

Attach file:

jpg  (21.77 KB)
226_4d2ac15409a1d.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (38.32 KB)
226_4d2ac162e7d10.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (28.83 KB)
226_4d2ac17aafb1c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (33.48 KB)
226_4d2ac1961e7d1.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (21.47 KB)
226_4d2ac1bbb73e0.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (33.89 KB)
226_4d2ac1d2453ed.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.21 KB)
226_4d2ac1eb4440d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (21.42 KB)
226_4d2ac1fc95c4c.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/1/10 3:25
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tuesday 11th January 2011

Wade's currently putting the trans back in Big Red so I busied myself this morning by cleaning up all the parts for Noel's trans and OD that hadn't already been cleaned. This way all will be ready for when the synchro repair kit arrives from the US. And gapped the Autolite plugs Noel brought over yesterday, 3 were open and over spec while 5 were closed up. Once the '39's back on the floor I'll change them over, it's too big a reach with it up on jackstands at present. Old Blue departed the workshop on the back of a tilt tray truck bound for Award Diffs for repair. And Wade pointed out to me that Richard's '39 CC is now over with Les for the left door repairs to be finished. Once those are done it will return for further investigation into the causes of the rough running and low compression on 4 of the 6 cylinders. Richard had picked it up on Sunday and I hadn't even noticed it was gone from the workshop! All going well today, and if nothing else raises it's ugly head, the plan is to look at Noel's '39 tomorrow. And Terry's, traumjaegercat, Pontiac wheel bearings are on their vway to him

Attach file:

jpg  (30.65 KB)
226_4d2bcfc78ee4c.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (29.45 KB)
226_4d2bcfdc681d1.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (26.45 KB)
226_4d2bcff5a1503.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (24.90 KB)
226_4d2bd00a4f963.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (28.97 KB)
226_4d2bd02560f9e.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (28.69 KB)
226_4d2bd0404d465.jpg 384X512 px

jpg  (43.73 KB)
226_4d2bd04c1c7be.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.70 KB)
226_4d2bd05d440f4.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (47.65 KB)
226_4d2bd06cb9d8c.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (47.73 KB)
226_4d2bd083efd6f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (49.59 KB)
226_4d2bd08d9aa9a.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (46.89 KB)
226_4d2bd0a6e0d7d.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (47.14 KB)
226_4d2bd0b39fbb2.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (45.57 KB)
226_4d2bd0c24fd35.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (46.06 KB)
226_4d2bd0d39b92e.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2011/1/10 22:43
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!

« 1 ... 64 65 66 (67) 68 69 70 ... 170 »

Register To PostTopic is Locked

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved