Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
139 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 137

su8overdrive, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 ... 42 »

Re: 1956 Clipper Hot Rod
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
55 Packardguy: Right now might not be the best time to ask Al about progress on his 56. You might have missed it but in another thread Al stated that he is now un-employed.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/8/2 20:23
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
John,

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't been as regular around here for a while, and I did miss that post. It's rotten how much of that forced leisure time is going around. I wish Al all the best, and a quick turnaround.

The Hot Rod Clipper has been a fascinating blog, and it was right at the point of "checking the engine numbers" to see if they matched the build sheet. I just gave a shout to find out if the mystery had been solved. It's a real cliffhanger.

Posted on: 2009/8/2 23:03
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Guy

Not to worry. We are doing o.k. for now. It could have been much worse. If the back stabbing, 2 faced cretens had waited a week then I would have been in big trouble. My wife and I had withdrawn a large chunk of money from one of my retirement funds to buy a newer class-a diesel motor home. I got laid off on Friday and we were going up to pay for the RV that Saturday morning. If they had waited a week I might be keying this from jail. As it was we had to cancel the RV deal and the money will pay bills for a few months. By then I hope to be gainfully employed and back on the way to mending my financial house. Not being to familiar with being laid off(I have been employed since I was 17) I find it odd if not totally unprofessional, that they did the deed on the phone and not to my face. Anyone else have this experience. I realize this is not on topic so PM me if you like. As to the ClipperRod, it should be finished by the end of the month and I will try to have pictures. when they cut out the rockers and looked inside they found more rot than they anticipated and had to do more floor work than they had originally thought. At first he was going to overlook it as they had said that they had agreed to do the floors and I suppose I should have kept my mouth shut, but I said I did not think they should bite the whole bullit, so we agreed to split the additional and I have to come with another $500. So all in all, I still think the total price will be more than fair.

Posted on: 2009/8/23 16:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Good luck Al!

Sometimes things work out sort of OK. The fact that you got terminated by phone sucks. You sound like the kind of guy who lands on his feet.

Craig

Posted on: 2009/8/23 16:50
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
AL: The way you were notified about losing your job is nothing new and happens to many thousands of persons every week. In the end does it really matter how you were notified
about no longer having employment.

You are going to find out in this day and age that big companies have no professional ethics when it comes to letting persons go.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/8/23 19:08
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Al. just make sure former employer follows proper procedure so that u can apply for UnEmployment benefits. LEARN the rules of UE. Very important that u APPLY for UE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!!! Probably a one week waiting period but check immediately on the process for your state.

On UE u stand a much better chance of gaining new employmnet than if not on UE.

Follow UE rules for UE but drag your feet on accepting a new position until u get the $$$$ rite. The problem is that for every American there are 10 3rd world people that are very well educated and proficient and can live in their country like kings on $10/day and a bag of rice.

Be careful that your former employer may try to call u back to work at a LOWER wage and LESS hours ergo no benefits and THUS terming the UE. THis is happening a lot here in Tn with their backwoods chicken shit Right to Work Law.

The UE laws are changing fast and i can't keep up with them. But u will need to keep up EVEN if u get a new job real soon or get called back.

Also, if u have any securities in a 401K or other plan thru your employer BE SURE TO GET THOSE IN YOUR NAME ASAP!!!! The employer will drag his feet notifying the Securities Agent about your departure. The Securities agent will drag his feet and it becomes finger pointing between company and agent. Figure at least 4 months to maybe 1 year to get that sterightened out. This is because the secutiries are NOT held in YOUR name and once trasfered to u might very well have a restriction printed on the back of certificates as "FBO". BE SURE the FBO is removed!!!!
Otherwise u can not negotiate the certs.

Posted on: 2009/8/23 20:54
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Keith:

All that you say has been done. The labor board has rejected my claim. I am in the process of appealing, but I fear it is a dead end. When I get back fron vacation I am planning another strategy, so we will see what happens.

Posted on: 2009/8/25 9:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Strange. Generally, if your employer discharges you for anything other than "willful misconduct" or some criminal action and you were willing and able and available for work, then you should have been approved for UC benefits.

However, if you receive a 1099 instead of a W2, you may be SOL.

Find out the basis on which they rejected your claim; you may want to file an appeal.

Posted on: 2009/8/25 11:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
Well all that is up in the air right now, in that I am appealing the decision. I do not expect to get far as this company has a lot of influence in this town, but the game is not over yet.

PS

That may be true in a "right to work" state, but not in a "work at will" such as Ga. and Al.

Posted on: 2009/8/27 14:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
O.K.

Here goes. I am going to try and upload 1 picture of the semi-finish car. It got painted last night and today in living color. They still have some buffing to do, but the shop assures me that the car will look 100 times better than it does in this photo.

Al K

Attach file:

jpg  (70.08 KB)
430_4ab5604e8f94b.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2009/9/19 17:50
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 ... 42 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved