Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
119 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 118

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 75 76 77 (78) 79 80 81 ... 121 »

Re: The Duchess Project: 1940 Super 8 Convertible Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
As a frequent user of my car on long trips, I've never had any sort of problems with stalls when letting up on the accelerator. One wonders if the "guard" was more of a nuisance than it was worth. I will also be curious as to Joe's comments once it is hooked up.

Posted on: 2018/5/30 14:00
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I will duly report after the carb is working, West, and I install the dashpot. After running the Duchess for several 100,000 miles without a throttle guard, I know it isn't absolutely necessary.

However, I also know that I have several idiosyncrasies acquired over decades, many unconscious habits, to assure smooth operation such as sliding into 2nd gear before dropping to first after a stop so as not to grind first and not get stuck in it; and clutching when having to turn a corner slowly, foot off the accelerator, while in overdrive so as not to cause a backfire ... compensating perhaps for some common issues.

Posted on: 2018/5/30 17:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
When I got my 1940 Super it had an original throttle guard. When adjusted per factory it works fine. But, as stated after awhile it got in the way of making adjustments. I have it working but backed off the carburetor linkage so it does not interfere with carburetor idle. Never had a problem with stalling. If picture is needed let me know.

Posted on: 2018/5/30 19:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I posted this when I was looking for a TG. The flackmaster tells me this is the 1939 version (the 1940 manual was printed in 1939).

Here's a product sheet on the 1940 TG.

I'd like to see how yours is set up now, Todd.

Attach file:

jpg  (304.71 KB)
1067_5b0f4c324d00f.jpg 1538X858 px

jpg  (82.96 KB)
1067_5b0f4c905fdc5.jpg 1000X778 px

Posted on: 2018/5/30 20:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
I took a look and I have the Trico model, looks same but does not have the B adjusting screw. Looks like what you have is the Trico also. I will scan instructions from owners manual, just glancing might be a bit different. In the morning time permitting I will take a picture or two. Or if I can upload a short video to here? If not to youtube and can attach link on here?
Guide me, thanks Todd

Posted on: 2018/5/30 23:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
You'd have to link the video, but a couple pictures would do. I take it the Trico is the one that's covered. (The one in the pic I posted that's not mounted on the carb.)

More curiosity than anything. Thanks

West, I just got your joke and I accept the apology.

Posted on: 2018/5/31 0:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6fKwVHQrP4

If that does not work. Go to you tube and search todd landis. I only have about seven or eight videos. Let me know if everything works.
The engine was cold.
Thanks

Posted on: 2018/5/31 12:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Thanks for making the video, Todd. Can't wait to try it. The carb arrives tomorrow, but the car is at Automotive Drive Train, so not sure when I'll get it back. I see I have the same type TG. Also noticed you have a glass bowl filter. We're going to put that back on, too.

Posted on: 2018/5/31 12:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Just watch for leaks and make sure you change out the rubber gasket every year or two.
And keep me updated on the new gas tank progress.
Anytime, thanks for all the time you and others have assisted me.

Posted on: 2018/5/31 17:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Almost forgot. Make sure there is no vacuum leak in the mechanism. Also with the assembly there you will need to take a combination wrench and grind off the outside of the open end arm, and grind down shallower the closed end. Use a cheap old wrench to do this. You will see why when you need to either take off or put on the two front nuts holding the carburetor and dash pot bracket. If needed later on can supply a picture of what I did to the wrench.

Posted on: 2018/5/31 17:29
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 75 76 77 (78) 79 80 81 ... 121 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved