Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
199 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 199

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 »

Re: The History of Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
Rusty O'Toole wrote:

"At least up to 1953 he felt the Packards had a lot to offer and were a top buy for the more conservative luxury car buyer, especially one who put quality and comfort ahead of gaudy styling and tire burning performance."

And, "Unfortunately in the end there weren't enough customers who felt this way."

Nicely put, Rusty, and exactly the way I've always felt. At least up to this period Packards were what they were for those who wanted one. Tastes do change and (just maybe) not always for the best.

Posted on: 2009/2/11 11:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
In 1902 The first Packard dealership in New York City Adams & McMurtry relocated to a newer bigger building. Later on in 1902 Packard bought out the dealership.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/2/13 21:49
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
It seems that Packard had an engine of 350 cid before Chevy had a 350 cid engine.

In 1906 Packard introduced the new ModelS which later became know as the Model 24. The engine in the new ModelS had a bore of 4.5 inches and a stroke of 5.5 inches which makes the Packard engine 350 cid.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/2/24 21:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
This recent picture that was posted in here that came from the Detroit public library. The picture show a man standing between two Packard Super Eight 180 seven passenger touring sedans.

It is report that these are the last two Packard's sold in 1942. These two cars wee purchased by Russia and delivered to the Russian embassy in Washington. The two 180's were modified by LeBaron.

John F. Shireman

Attach file:

jpg  (51.13 KB)
105_49ab42ca73fa9.jpg 750X604 px

Posted on: 2009/3/1 21:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Clearly they are 1942 LeBaron 7-pass cars but I'm curious how you determined they are sedans and not limos.

PS - in my opinion those 1941-42 LeBaron 7-pass models are the best-looking prewar lwb cars Packard ever offered.

Posted on: 2009/3/1 23:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I agree. The larger glass area and modified roof line made for a much more attractive vehicle than the slightly bus-like body produced for the regular LWB 180's.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 11:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Owen; The picture that is posted on the site and in my thread originally came from the website The Making of modern Michigan. Go to the search on the site and type in 1942 Packard. They state that on the back of the picture it
is a 1521 body style touring sedan. However they incorrectly state that it is a five passenger touring sedan. If it a 1521 body as they stated then it is a seven passenger touring sedan. If it were a seven passenger limo by LeBaron the body style would be 1520.

Next let me refer you to a book I have in my library, which I am sure that you must also have and read. The book is titled Packard by Dennis Adler. I refer you to PAGE 126 in the book. There it has the same picture I posted and states both cars are SUPER EIGHT ONE EIGHT SEVEN PASSENGER TOURING SEDAN BY LEBARON.

I realize that my knowledge of Packard's doesn't compare with you, but what made you think that they were limos. Please list your reference sources you used to come to the conclusion they were seven passenger limos.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2009/3/2 18:10
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks John, but all you had to say was that the body type # was noted on the photo. That's all I asked. I couldn't tell from the photo if they had a division window or not which is the only significant difference between the 1520 and 1521.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 18:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
But it's not a LeBaron. I don't see how it could be one of the cars in the previous picture.

Posted on: 2009/3/3 0:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
What makes the car from the library picture collection to a LeBaron?

The LeBaron-bodied cars were factory-offered series semi-customs (meaning they used some factory sheetmetal and were not one-offs). There were several LeBarons in both 1941 and 1942 which include the long wheelbase 7-passenger sedans (no division window) and the 7-passenger limousines. They are readily distinquishable by the raised roofline, larger windows, stainless-trimmed glass, and much more elegant interiors. They were approximately $300 more than the standard Packard 7-pass sedans and limos and very distinctive in appearance. Another LeBaron in the 1941 line with similar roof and window treatment was the Sport Brougham on the 138 inch wheelbase.

Posted on: 2009/3/3 9:24
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved