Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 144

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 12 13 ... 32 »

Re: Thief-Proof Numbers (body serial numbers)
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Stamping after formation would make sense except why such sequence anomalies some years if that the case.

Posted on: 2009/6/9 19:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just remember I've only gotten data on less than 1000 cars, a very small percentage, but growing thanks in part to this website. Hopefully by publication time some of these questions will have more clarity

I believe that cowls were formed in several operations; for example RHD and LHD have obvious differences and in prewar seniors open and closed cars are different as well. Yet there are also identical features. Also no doubt some fully formed cowls went directly to assembly while others were probably inventoried. This no doubt varied with many factors, production demand and campaigning, etc. One interesting approach where we have a large amount of data, for example 1934, is to plot consecutive TPs against body type, this is an approach I'm currently exploring.

Posted on: 2009/6/9 20:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks Gerd, but the vehicle numbers aren't of any use without the corresponding thief-proof numbers. I'm at about 1200 sets now, still climbing, but slowly.

Posted on: 2009/8/21 17:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Dave,

When last we spoke, at Warren last month, you mentioned that you might have to announce a cut-off date for submissions of these numbers, but I'm glad to see that you're still collecting this data.

It's been a difficult year for me, and I've only now found time to get out to my offsite storage to get the numbers for 3 of my five cars. I'll PM you with the numbers.

The other two cars are sitting in two different fields at opposite corners of the county. I'm not sure when I'll be able to get to each of those cars, but will report back when I do.

Posted on: 2009/8/23 10:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Thanks Brian. Although I'll have to cut off the numbers as far as using them for research for the article when the notice comes that it's time to submit it, I'll no doubt keep collecting numbers after than, though no doubt not quite as aggressively - but would continue to take anything that comes my way. Dave

Posted on: 2009/8/23 14:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
That's interesting, I've never seen an ID tag and a Briggs body tag match before. Something seems fishy there...

Posted on: 2009/9/30 14:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
That's interesting, I've never seen an ID tag and a Briggs body tag match before. Something seems fishy there...

Eric - nothing fishy about that, especially 1951 to 1954 where it's the case far more often than not. It's somewhat less the case with the 21/22/23 series cars, exact matches are in the minority, matches within 20 numbers or so are the rule, except for factory-renumbered cars in 48-50 where the vehicle gets a new VN but not a new Briggs tag.

Posted on: 2009/9/30 17:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Gusha, thanks for the number, I had seen that one and had already picked up the data, but don't let that stop you continuing to get info for me. I've already submitted the article to the publisher, but will continue to collect data; if anything new & significant emerges from it perhaps a follow-up article could be in the works.

Posted on: 2010/1/3 11:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jt fugere
See User information
Heres the Info From my 55 Clipper.

Attach file:

jpg  (94.59 KB)
1551_4b44fcb13d3d3.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (104.28 KB)
1551_4b44fcbee0649.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2010/1/6 16:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hi Gusha, wie gehts?

It's a 1935 thief-proof number and thus a 1935 body, but the VN is a 1936 VN, not at all uncommon on the senior cars during the waning years of the depression. The car was started as a 1935, was unsold a year end, so the factory did the very minor update to the nose, changed the VN plate, and marketed it as a 1936. There is another example of exactly the same thing right around the corner from me, in that case it's a 1936 Twelve with a 1935 body stamping.

BTW, no Briggs numbers until 1941.

As to the 1401/8, the 919 body style is for the Eight (meaning not a Super Eight or Twelve, but also not a 120) on the 1401 chassis, so I guess the salesman finds it easer to say 1401/8 than 1401 Eight.,

Posted on: 2010/1/16 20:17
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10) 11 12 13 ... 32 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved