Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
216 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 213

Steve, Kevin, moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15) 16 17 18 ... 20 »

Re: GearRat's '52
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Hey JW,

I realized last night that the problem was the wheel cylinder. The pins were stuck out pretty far, and the springs weren't strong enough to pull the shoes all the way in. I had to loosen the bleeder valve and let some fluid out to get those pistons to go in far enough. I've never had that problem on any other vehicle I've worked on equipped with drums, why is that?

-Garrett

Posted on: 2014/2/5 13:15
Garrett

1952 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
If the shoes went back in by themselves when you opened the bleeder then the problem might the rubber hose has collapsed and is acting like a one way valve.

Posted on: 2014/2/5 13:32
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Just my two cents but if it's just the one cylinder I'd look for a defective or problem cylinder or pinched/blocked tube going to that cylinder. If it's more than one then I'd look at the pedal action at master.

Make sure the free play is good or if the pedal is fully retracting so the bleed or relief port(s) is being uncovered when the pedal is released. I believe you converted to the MPB system so with the pedal mods, I'd verify that arrangement and that the pedal weight is not keeping the master piston slightly in.

Posted on: 2014/2/5 13:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Garrett, Howard and Phil have given you good advice. There is something in the system that is keeping the cylinder pistons extended. It may be affecting the other cylinders too. Good time to do a comprehensive examination of your whole brake system.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/2/5 13:44
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Thanks Guys,

I'll go out and give everything a check. I did notice the rear brake hose seemed like it was twisted yesterday, so it might be binding there. I believe it is an issue with the rear brakes only. The front seem to work just fine. That is probably why I was never able to set my parking brake correctly. If I adjusted it to where it would catch when set, it would lock up after driving when off.

-Garrett

Posted on: 2014/2/5 13:52
Garrett

" If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone"- Burt Munro
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Hey Guys,

Checked the condition of the line feeding the rear brakes, and there were no kinks or pinches. And I removed the driver's side drum and everything looked fine. The only thing that was in need of attention was the rear brake hose. It was twisted pretty good; to the point that it limited the flexibility of it. Would that cause what I am experiencing?

Next I will bleed the system and re-adjust the parking brake. I hope that solves it and I can get back to driving.

-Garrett

Posted on: 2014/2/5 19:47
Garrett

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Garrett:

You're doing well for a young buck. A twisted brake flex line sounds problematic to me.

In any case, keep up the good work.

Craig

Posted on: 2014/2/6 9:33
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Happy Valentines Day Packardinfo-ers! Enjoy the day with friends and family.

-Garrett

Attach file:

jpg  (34.79 KB)
3628_52fe68b789f3f.jpg 600X376 px

Posted on: 2014/2/14 14:04
Garrett

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Hey Guys!

I went to a local car show at a Texaco gas station last night. I had a great time and the car performed admirably. The brake issue I was dealing with is a thing of the past as they seem to be working better than they ever have. There were no issues even with the slow, stop and go "crawl", around the paring lot trying to find a spot to park. Of course I was the only Packard in attendance and got quite a bit of recognition because of that. The highlight of the night was a couple who came by and told me they used to live near the Packard plant in Detroit! it was neat for them to see a product of that plant in Texas, and it was really cool to meet people from that area here in San Antonio.

After the show, stopped at Sonic for some grub and then headed home. The only hiccup of the venture came when leaving Sonic. The engine didn't want to fire up and it seemed to act flooded. So, took the air cleaner off and tried again... Success! This car is truly a joy to drive, so glad I bought a Packard!

Posted on: 2014/3/30 14:47
Garrett

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Cuellar
See User information
Hey Guys!

Not a whole lot to report, but I thought I'd share a picture from the latest car show I attended. A guy that is starting up his own magazine asked to take pictures, so I thought that was pretty cool. Whistlin' wolf magazine Co.

Attach file:

jpg  (106.84 KB)
3628_534efd5b48b9c.jpg 853X1280 px

Posted on: 2014/4/16 17:00
Garrett

Top  Print   

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15) 16 17 18 ... 20 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved