Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
30 user(s) are online (20 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 29

Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 63 64 65 (66) 67 68 69 ... 143 »

Re: Stewart's 1955 Packard 400
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Just take that one rocker shaft off and run your pump. I'm pretty sure your flow will be fine or you will be able to find the blockage. The heads are certainly interchangable left and right. Perhaps you have one rocker shaft of the later type which flows far less. Did you clean out the shafts? they can be quite full of sludge.

Posted on: 2020/6/26 7:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
Thank you everyone and a special thank you to Ross. Should have thought of that myself.

I pulled the rocker and ran the pump. I wa snto prepared for the amount of oil that flowed out. I set the rockers back in place without the bolts and ran the pump again. That little glob in the image below shot out of the far right bolt hole.

Put the bolts in place with just a couple turns and everything is still good but when I tighten the bolts down (not torqued) the flow cuts of again.
I guess I need to dissemble that rocker and clean it out again this weekend.

Stewart

Attach file:

jpg  (153.32 KB)
5209_5ef68d52a7718.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2020/6/26 19:06
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
You are on the Right track Stewart. Complete cleanout of the tubes are one of the most overlooked details on rebuilds and quickly kills a fresh engine.

Posted on: 2020/6/26 19:10
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
I think I got the oil issue taken care of. There were multiple issues but when I rotated the engine the flow changed.

I found this wiring image in the Service Manual. I'm sure you are familiar with it. Can I start the engine with only this setup?

Attach file:

jpg  (27.05 KB)
5209_5f050d2793f2f.jpg 613X383 px

Posted on: 2020/7/7 19:08
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Yes. Just make sure anything else connected to the BAT terminal on the solenoid or to the ACC or IGN terminals on the ign switch is disconnected or safely terminated.

Obviously you will not have any oil or temp gauges without wiring the senders and powering the instrument voltage regulator on the dash cluster. The battery polarity is shown for a 56 which would decrease the coil efficiency a tad if it is wired for a 55.

Posted on: 2020/7/7 19:14
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
Thanks Howard
Nothing is wired right now. Nothing at all.

Got another question. A couple years ago I got good deal on this item in the image. I thought it would be nice not to have to worry about points (don't ask me why). So, I wired it into the distributor last year still thinking it would be a good idea.
The second image is a wiring diagram for this device.
Do you think this will work if I wire it like the third image below.
It would probably be easier just to put the points back in.

Attach file:

jpg  (243.79 KB)
5209_5f0516ad37bee.jpg 1920X1080 px

jpg  (38.95 KB)
5209_5f0516c33e377.jpg 849X459 px

jpg  (42.97 KB)
5209_5f05191a13697.jpg 940X561 px

Posted on: 2020/7/7 19:59
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As long as the battery is wired for negative ground it should work. 12v Pertronix has a fairly decent reputation but if there is a question you could reinstall the points just so you don't have to deal with an extra unknown factor while getting the engine running.

Posted on: 2020/7/7 20:09
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
I personally know six people who have had Pertronics failures.
Be damn sure you carry the old parts in the Glove box as you may need them.

Posted on: 2020/7/8 16:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I have been so inspired by the the stellar reliability of Pertronix that I wrote a poem about it for the benefit of someone on the Studebaker forum who was pondering making his 41 less reliable:

If you wish to despair,
and then tear your hair,
if your are wishing for grief
on the side of the street,
if pushing a car gives no pain to your joints,
buy a Pertronix and toss out your points.

Posted on: 2020/7/8 20:09
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I have read comments from many that in the assumption a car will start twice in a row or even make it down the block without a push the 6v Pertronix is somewhat less than reliable and have so stated that to many considering adding one of those units. Have not heard the same about the 12v versions. Is the collective opinion saying the "buy it and take you chance" description should apply to the 12v models too?

Posted on: 2020/7/8 20:21
Howard
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 63 64 65 (66) 67 68 69 ... 143 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved