Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
252 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 252

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Vhehicle Number Plate
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

TWB
See User information
Thanks for the information. I just looked on the engine and there is absolutely nothing there. I will contact the chap who had the original restoration work done on the engine and see if there is any trace of the engine block plate. And how the number on the repro patent plate was determined.

Thanks again.
-Thom

Posted on: 2013/12/18 6:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
.....and see if there is any trace of the engine block plate

?? No "engine block plate" that I'm aware of, just the stamped engine number and casting number and casting date.

Posted on: 2013/12/18 9:21
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

TWB
See User information
The only other number on the engine casting is ti the right of the casting date. It is very difficult to tell if it is 191 or 181.

Attach file:

jpg  (74.20 KB)
19270_52b1c45b3f398.jpg 1280X956 px

jpg  (67.79 KB)
19270_52b1c4f1180ec.jpg 1280X956 px

Posted on: 2013/12/18 10:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just guessing, it might be the # of the core or pattern box, there were likely several engine block casting patterns/boxes. For the 288 engine 1948 to 1950 I believe there were 3. But just to repeat, there is no "engine block plate".

Posted on: 2013/12/18 11:28
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

TWB
See User information
It is just the existence of an engine number that looses me as there is nothing on the distributor side of the engine block. I took a look at the video done by the seller of my car and there are some reasonably god views of the engine block there too. But no numbers. If you like, you can see the video on Youtube just search for 1940 Packard 120 walkaround tour.
I found the attached pic in the restoration file. Could this be the number that you referred to?

Attach file:

jpg  (129.76 KB)
19270_52b1e1de38cac.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/12/18 12:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I think I see the engine# above the distributor, just below the top of the block. Motor or engine numbers for the 1940 "120" start with C300001 and end with C328320.

Somewhere on this forum are some pictures showing where the engine numbers are located for various years and models, I'm sure someone will come along and direct you to it if you can't find it yourself (I can't).

Posted on: 2013/12/18 13:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As O_D said, number looks like it might be in this area above the dist. Could be very faintly stamped so a cleaning and then a rubbing with chalk might help to bring them out.

Here is a link to the engine serial number list on sitehttps://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/PackardEngineSerials.pdf

Attach file:

jpg  (18.05 KB)
209_52b1e6f090dc0.jpg 465X324 px

Posted on: 2013/12/18 13:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

TWB
See User information
Eureka! This looks to be it. Can't tell from the pic what the number is other than clearly begins with a C. Strange that I missed this when looking at the engine today. Must be a heavy coat of paint on top. Now if I can uncover it, I just need to see if it really does agree with the number on the patent plate which is the number that was used for the UK registration!

Attach file:

jpg  (129.56 KB)
19270_52b1e48c02513.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/12/18 13:33
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

TWB
See User information
I think I now have a better understanding off the various identification numbers on my 1940 Packard 120 Club Coupe.

The attachment shows the limit of my knowledge of what I believe is correct. The date and number on the engine block lower passenger side are clear. The date was changed as engines were produced but the number below the date would always be the same for a particular type of engine.

The elusive engine block number is virtually hidden by the ignition coil. This is the number that many states used for registration rather than the actual VIN which in my case is missing but would have been 1395-XXXX. My car is a Deluxe Club Coupe, so I am told because it has all of the options and rear opera or jump seats. That being the case, would the original VN number have been 1395DE-XXXX?

I have been told that my engine is indeed the original however, I have no information as of yet as to why the number on my repro patent plate does not agree with the engine number.

To complicate the issue further, the number from the repro patent plate was used to register my car in the UK by the previous owner. I will need to get the straightened out with both the Department of Motor Vehicle Licensing Authority and my insurance company. Likely to be a bureaucratic challenge!

Finally, the theft proof number is not present on the firewall on the engine side. I have been told that this is not so unusual and that many of the 1940 cars did not have a theft proof number and that Packard kept no record of the theft proof number that they assigned to cars.

That is the full extent of my short education on the learning curve of Packard numbers. I hope that I now have it right! Please let me know if I have not! Thanks.

-Thom

Attach file:

pdf Size: 546.19 KB; Hits: 59

Posted on: 2013/12/21 10:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
O_D Here's some pictures of TPN and factory plate. I'm posting it here cause you might need a little help on deciphering the TPN

Attach file:

jpg  (63.81 KB)
5061_52b645d5a087b.jpg 800X552 px

jpg  (60.71 KB)
5061_52b645e6d246b.jpg 800X547 px

jpg  (64.86 KB)
5061_52b646053f388.jpg 800X547 px

Posted on: 2013/12/21 20:53
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved