Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
228 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 228

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Pinion seal replacement
Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Dear folks,

I would like to replace my pinion seal. According to the service manual, I am supposed to remove the flange retaining nut (done), then the flange (done) and then the bearing retaining nut. I think the crenelated thing pictured is the bearing nut. How, oh how, do I remove this? I am supposed to remove it, right?

Any help most appreciated.

Tom

Attach file:

jpg  (35.37 KB)
333_48bc594bd3f4a.jpg 543X481 px

Posted on: 2008/9/1 16:06
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Re: Pinion seal replacement
Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
I would think you would not have to remove any more than the yoke and the nut that held it on. The seal will be outboard of the bearing and ride on the outside surface of the yoke. I think I see the outside surface of the seal in your picture. The seal, without the proper puller, will be hard but not impossible to remove. Got mine out with a screw driver and a lot of prying.

Maybe the procedure in the book is for more than just replacing the seal. Sounds like it my be for removing the pinion all together.

Posted on: 2008/9/2 14:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Its been a while, but isn't this the Angleset rear where the pinion is supported by both inner and outer double-row ball bearings? I seem to remember a dust shield that is outboard of the seal and I believe that's what you see, the seal should be behind it. If the rear end is quiet I wouldn't even think of touching the (crennelated) adjusting nut on the pinion bearing preload unless absolutely essential (see the locking tab on same under one of the bolts?).

Posted on: 2008/9/2 14:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Tom, I think Dave and Bob have given you good counsel. Here is another suggestion. There are people out there who manufacture "high speed" gear sets for these cars. I recommend searching them out and make an inquiry as how they replace the seal. Take care, John

Posted on: 2008/9/4 10:00
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Dave, Bob, and John,

Thanks tons for the insight. I think I will leave it alone for now. But, out of curiosity, is there a special tool for removing the bearing nut?

Thanks again,

Tom

Posted on: 2008/9/4 17:14
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
That crennelated fastner is not peculiar to Packard or even the auto industry, they are (or were) commonly found in industrial equipment and special spanners can be bought from good supply houses. Most often though, folks use a block of soft metal like brass or bronze against the teeth and tap at several different locations around the perimeter. Their advantage is not unusual clamping force but ease of securing at a large number of positions.

Posted on: 2008/9/4 17:39
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved