Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
167 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 164

Marty or Marston, Packard5687, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1941 Packard 110 Glass Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ragtime Kid
See User information
I've got all the glass out of my '41 110 Club Coupe in preparation for repainting.

The vent windows all show small bubbles around the perimeters, so I'm having new glass cut for these.

The glass shop tells me the curved rear windshield is tempered and cannot be reproduced. Fortunately, it's in good shape so can be reused.

The front windshields are also in good condition but the glass shop observed that they are green-tinted and tell me that these have been replaced at some point in the car's history. They recommend that I replace these two windshields with new, clear glass.

Is there a reason I should switch to new, clear glass (for example, originality, or matching the clear glass that comprises the rest of the car) or was it tinted for a good reason and I should keep it that way?

Since the car doesn't have air conditioning, could this have been done to keep the interior temperatures down and would it be a mistake to replace them with clear windshields?

Also, the front windshield has a logo reading "Safe-T-Glass" in an old-fashioned, cursive script, which appears to be vintage.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated from those of you who have replaced glass before.

Thank you!

Posted on: 2014/9/3 12:47
 Top  Print   

Re: 1941 Packard 110 Glass
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
You could go with new clear windshield glass and then have a clear UV blocking film applied. The new clear films reduce the UV without darkening the glass, and do not interfere with vision. Actually you could have all the windows treated this way and it would keep the interior cooler.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/9/3 13:11
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Re: 1941 Packard 110 Glass
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ragtime Kid
See User information
Thanks, JW, for your quick reply!

What do most folks tend to do when restoring a car? Replace all the glass, even that which appears to be in great shape? Is there any value to having the old "Safe-T-Glass" logos?

What is the consensus on tinting glass? Takes away too much from originality or is a good practical trade-off for a more comfortable ride?

Posted on: 2014/9/3 13:14
 Top  Print   

Re: 1941 Packard 110 Glass Question
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
first, heed what the shop told you about the rear window - it is the only curved glass on the car. The rest was originally clear laminated glass.

IMHO, tinted glass would look flagrantly wrong.

Posted on: 2014/9/3 13:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ragtime Kid
See User information
OK, thanks! I had read somewhere that Packard offered clear and green-tint as original glass, but that may have been in reference to the late 40's/early 50's cars.

Posted on: 2014/9/3 13:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Agreed, your Packard should have clear glass.

That said has anyone tried this guy?? He is up in Eugene, OR.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1941-PACKARD-COUPE-CLASSIC-AUTO-VINTAGE-CAR-GLASS-ANTIQUE-WINDOWS-NEW-/231305601814?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1941%7CMake%3APackard&hash=item35dae36316&vxp=mtr

He shows tinted glass in his photos as that photographs better than clear.

He says,
IF YOU DON'T SEE YOUR GLASS KIT LISTED GIVE US A CALL ON OUR TOLL FREE NUMBER 1-800-624-2130 STATESIDE OR 541-636-3025 FROM CANADA AND WE CAN SET YOU UP WITH A LISTING FOR YOUR GLASS.

THIS GLASS KIT INCLUDES THE 2 PIECE WINDSHIELD, 2 VENT WINDOWS, 2 DOORS, AND 2 REAR QUARTER WINDOWS ( THIS KIT DOES NOT INCLUDE THE CURVED BACK GLASS )

WE HAVE THE GLASS AVAILABLE IN CLEAR, GREEN, SMOKED GRAY, OR BRONZE TINT. THE TINT IS MADE INTO THE GLASS, IT IS NOT A CHEAP FILM OR SPRAY ON TINT.

Posted on: 2014/9/3 15:34
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I used them and couldn't be more pleased with the glass and the service. I thought clear was more appropriate for the 47 so ordered via ebay followed up with the phone call they request. Glass arrived in about 3 1/2 weeks. In spite of some excellent packing one piece did arrive cracked. Called them about it and with no questions asked other than which piece, 3 or 4 days later a new piece equally well packed arrived. Have not installed the windshield yet but all the door pieces were a perfect fit so don't expect any different if or when I get to the windshield.

Posted on: 2014/9/3 16:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved