Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
221 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 220

DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Getting young help on your project`
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Even though my current project is my 1956 Panther, I think this question applies to any year/model and also to non-Packards.

How much experience and success have you had hiring a young person to assist in your project? My arthritis is getting worse and I need help:

1) doing grunt work
2) jacking the car up with jackstands, etc. other hardwork like sanding and minor body work.
3) assisting in performing specific, mostly two-handed, tasks under my supervision.

In addition, I think it would be good if a young assistent:
a) wants to learn "how to" from an "old hand" so they add to their skill and experience on a real project.
b) how to restore a "classic car" rather than become a certified mechanic with all the latest tech EQ who works at a dealership.
c) (This almost goes without saying) an honest kid who is a hard worker and reliable about showing up.

I'm going to start by going to the local High School and talking to the Auto Shop teacher.

I'm willing to pay above minimum hourly wage, the exact amount depends on prior experience and progress of course.

Any other experience or suggestions?

Craig

Posted on: 2014/12/8 5:08
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Re: Getting young help on your project`
Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
These so called "Golden Years" aren't what they're cracked up to be are they? :)

Posted on: 2014/12/8 6:34
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
The biggest problem is that most kids out of school want to be a manager (for whatever that means today!). They rather sit behind a computer so you don't get dirty, and if they don't do that than they're sitting there with their phone texting and being on "youtwitface.com" (that's YouTube, Twitter & fb together).
My experience is to get kids that grew up on a farm or ranch are a lot more hands on and have more common sense. That's my

Posted on: 2014/12/8 8:12
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
In hiring anyone not running their own business today but particularly a kid, one thing I'd be concerned about and have well understood with your insurance agent or school is what happens if he gets hurt.

Posted on: 2014/12/8 9:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
"on Golden Years"
I was about 52-3 and I took the car in for service and got in the shuttle van. We waited as an "octagenarian gentleman" on crutches came in. He knew the driver,a retiree. They start talking and he was somewhat heart broken had just come back from selling his summer home on the lake because he couldn't take care of it any more. He leaned over to me, and said, "sonny boy, don't let them BS you about the "golden" years". I'll never forget that one.

Posted on: 2014/12/8 10:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
No problem finding any of the younger set or even early 40-somethings around here to work. My biggest problem is to get a project started, whatever it mite be, and then suddenly have to put the project on the back burner because some other problem arisses or just can't get parts or materials to complete the project fast enuf.
Availability of materials or parts is getting worse and worse. Even just simple household routine maintenance such as a faucet washer took over 9 months to complete.

What i need is a bigger house and bigger shop and at least 40 desolate acres. Then set up a kind of share cropping arrangement with some gear heads. But instead of crops, grow cars and motorcycles!!! Ba ha ha ha ha.

Posted on: 2014/12/8 10:38
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
HH56 Quote:
In hiring anyone not running their own business today but particularly a kid, one thing I'd be concerned about and have well understood with your insurance agent or school is what happens if he gets hurt.

Excellent point. That may queer the deal right there.

Craig

Posted on: 2014/12/8 12:16
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
If you hire him as contracted labor than insurance will be his responsibility but you still have to make sure you have a liability policy in case something happens because of your neglect.

Posted on: 2014/12/8 12:37

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

phsnkw
See User information
How does the saying goes?

"youth is wasted on the young"

Posted on: 2014/12/8 15:15
"Do you ever think about the things you do think about?"

Inherit the Wind
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
you only miss it when you realize you don't have it anymore

Posted on: 2014/12/8 16:27

Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved