Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
238 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 233

BigKev, moodydavid16, HH56, humanpotatohybrid, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1955 Caribbean top adjustment
Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
Maybe someone can provide a little help. My Caribbean was a basket case. We removed the top for cleaning and painting and reinstalled and fitted with new pump, cylinders and hoses. It worked fine. After installing the windows and determining they worked well, we installed the top some months later and installed new roof rail rubber.
The passenger side is fine- the rear window moves smoothly into the roof rail gasket and the vent window lies under the rubber.
On the driver side, the rear window binds in the rubber and more significantly the vent window frame is hitting the outside of the rubber- apx 1/2 " too high.
The manual shows an adjustment for the rear glass but it appears that it is lowered as much as possible.
The top seems to allow some adjustment at the shaft that connects the main roof support to the wheel well via two slots.....but nothing specific that I could determine from the manual to suggest how this would affect the clearance above the windows. There are three screws on the frame above the vent window that seems to allow some adjustment to the front bow and slotted attachment for the top latches.
Any hints on how to secure clearance above the driver side glass. I anticipate that closing the door with the frame of the vent striking the outside of the top rail gasket is an invitation to breaking the frame.
Any hints will be appreciated.
RJR

Posted on: 2014/12/9 19:13
 Top  Print   

Re: 1955 Caribbean top adjustment
Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Take photos and show what you are talking about, don't just describe.

When you say "rear glass" suspect you mean rear side quarter glass.

The entire top frame has many adjustments, some not very obvious.

Some are hinged folding pivots.

Make certain that no pivot point or hinge is binding.

Note position and anchor placement of rearmost pivots. These can affect side alignment of frame rails.

Also be absolutely certain that BOTH hydraulic rams are traveling full and equal length.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2014/12/10 0:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
+Use extreme care that the top goes up evenly on both sides.
The side rails are aluminum and are very brittle. They will break. They are impossible to repair. After several attempts made by aluminum welders in my area, I ended modifying a couple of side rails from a 54 convert.

Posted on: 2014/12/11 0:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
55Clipper,

What did you modify on the 54 side rails to work on your 55?

Posted on: 2014/12/11 14:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
The front side rail was the one Modified. As I recall, this was a time ago, I had to remove some metal so that it fit into the header. It held up ok until I was finally able to find a complete set of used side rails from a 55. Due to my carelessness I had several cracked side rails. I still have not replaced them all but will when I am confident that the top is working properly.

Another thing to note is, don't use silicone brake fluid in the pump.

Posted on: 2014/12/11 16:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

55clipper wrote:
The front side rail was the one Modified. As I recall, this was a time ago, I had to remove some metal so that it fit into the header. It held up ok until I was finally able to find a complete set of used side rails from a 55. Due to my carelessness I had several cracked side rails. I still have not replaced them all but will when I am confident that the top is working properly.

Another thing to note is, don't use silicone brake fluid in the pump.

Word to the wise: don't use ANY brake fluid at all in the convertible top electro-hydraulic system. Use automatic transmission fluid. It will never turn into rock-salt-looking crystals from lack of use and won't destroy your paint or seals.

As for cracked side rails, this phenomenon is not limited to Packards. Many other American-made convertibles of the 1950s had such brittle cast aluminum side rails. All of which is an absolute reason to never, ever try to manually force your power convertible top up or down. To do so is just begging for trouble and damage that will require parts to be replaced. The castings were not the strongest in the first place (they didn't need to be if used as designed)... and due to the nature of old aluminum, they have a terrible tendency to a condition known as "age hardening." As such they become even more brittle and less likely to flex under any out-of-plane pressure.

Posted on: 2014/12/14 23:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
Wanted to thank all for their comments.,The Pistons are running out equally through the full operation cycle,and there is no binding on any of the pivot points, but the left side is still an issue. This may have been a problem from new since I think the top frame was impacting the rear edge of the chrome Molding below the driver side quarter window. There is evidence that someone in the past attempted to secure clearance by,hammering the inner panel where the rear screw for the molding attaches. That molding was missing from the car when I bought it so it may have been broken by trying to force the top down. No sure but I don't want to risk damaging the replacement.
The main connecting bolt that attaches the top frame to the body runs through a bracket that is attached to the body by 4 rivets . I am reluctant to touch that bracket since it is clearly original and appears to be aligned at the same level as the passenger side.
Will adjustment of the three bolts that ride in the slots and hold the bracket behind the main attachment point allow the top to be lifted around 1/2-3-4 inches to secure clearance above the interior molding?. That should correct the bind on the driver side quarter window.

Posted on: 2014/12/15 1:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

ewrecks wrote:
Wanted to thank all for their comments.,The Pistons are running out equally through the full operation cycle,and there is no binding on any of the pivot points, but the left side is still an issue. This may have been a problem from new since I think the top frame was impacting the rear edge of the chrome Molding below the driver side quarter window. There is evidence that someone in the past attempted to secure clearance by,hammering the inner panel where the rear screw for the molding attaches. That molding was missing from the car when I bought it so it may have been broken by trying to force the top down. No sure but I don't want to risk damaging the replacement.
The main connecting bolt that attaches the top frame to the body runs through a bracket that is attached to the body by 4 rivets . I am reluctant to touch that bracket since it is clearly original and appears to be aligned at the same level as the passenger side.
Will adjustment of the three bolts that ride in the slots and hold the bracket behind the main attachment point allow the top to be lifted around 1/2-3-4 inches to secure clearance above the interior molding?. That should correct the bind on the driver side quarter window.

Okay, but no response about adjustment on rearmost driver-side pivot and shoulder bolt?

This is adjustable and affects side rail elevation/alignment.

There are other adjustments too.

Posted on: 2014/12/16 12:59
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved