Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
235 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 235

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Korean war chrome
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
What model years were blessed with the crappy war chrome? I know my '52 has it, was that the first year?

Posted on: 2015/3/16 21:34
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Re: Korean war chrome
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
This is the first mention I remember seeing. I expect it lasted until the Korean conflict started winding down which I believe was mid 53

https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/SC/SC-VOL25NO14.pdf

Posted on: 2015/3/16 21:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Thanks for hunting that info down, Howard. There is a mention of it in my owner's manual, and I can testify that besides the items on that list many of the interior chrome parts skipped the nickel too. Horn ring, steering wheel trim pads, shift position cover on the column, dash parts. All very touchy to clean without getting down to the copper quickly.

I am going to look at a '51 in the area as a potential parts car, so I'm trying to decide what it would be worth compared to buying different year parts as available. We'll see how it looks when I can get a break to go look it over.

Posted on: 2015/3/16 22:12
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
What model years were blessed with the crappy war chrome

I wouldn't think the use of "defense chrome" was limited by model year but rather by the period during which the government prohibited it's use by the auto industry. That said, it was primarily a feature beginning with the 25th Series cars.

Posted on: 2015/3/17 10:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
It was used in 1952 and 1953.

Posted on: 2015/3/17 15:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
We had a 52 Mayfair and the chrome on that seemed very good. The car spent most of its life from 53 in SoCal and that may be the reason it held up well.

Posted on: 2015/3/17 16:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I recall that Packard applied a clear lacquer to the grilles and front bumpers of the Korean War era cars in order to preserve the thin chrome plating. That protective coating quickly started peeling in the intense sunlight of the 7,200 feet above sea level altitude were Santa Fe is located. As boys helping out around the business my younger brother and I would spend hours carefully brushing on a remover (a branded Packard part) to clean off the peeling coating. This was one of the less desirable jobs around the place. Cleaning out the wash rack drain sump was my favorite.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/3/21 13:43
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I recall that Packard applied a clear lacquer to the grilles and front bumpers of the Korean War era cars in order to preserve the thin chrome plating

That's a bit inconsistent with the information in Packard's notification about "defense chrome", the bumpers were done in the traditional copper/nickel/chrome but the grille was defense chrome.

Posted on: 2015/3/21 14:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
O_D, maybe it was just the grilles. This happened a long time ago.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/3/21 14:31
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Here in the northeast, it wasn't just the Korean chrome 1952's: all Contour potmetal ends up with a pitted surface the texture of coarse sandpaper when exposed to the weather. If I'd have had any sense then, I would have stripped every western '51-'54 Packard I found there then of its potmetal trim....kept in dry storage until now!

Steve

Posted on: 2015/3/21 16:27
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved