Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
28 user(s) are online (20 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 28

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Power Steering Parts Needed
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
I am converting a 1949 Packard to power steering and I need all of the parts for this project.

If you are parting out a car/ have the parts/ or know of a source please let me know.

THANKS!!!

Posted on: 2015/3/30 16:12
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print 

Re: Power Steering Parts Needed
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Not sure which year was decided on in the other thread. Here is someone selling a chassis that appears to have power steering on it. Not sure if it is even any good or not.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/pts/4929253297.html

Good luck John

Posted on: 2015/3/31 11:03
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you want used PS parts from a 55/56, I can't think of a better source than Mike Dulinski.

Posted on: 2015/3/31 11:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
THANKS!!!

What years/models did the Strait Eight come in?

A wrecking yard and parts re-conditioner company I found online (hey...you can ALWAYS trust someone you met online) said they have all of the parts from a 1954 "Strait Eight" and that everything should be a simple bolt on affair. He said the following:

I would need a different harmonic balancer because it has two groves for the PS pump as opposed to the single grove unit the car originally had. QUESTION: Can one simply swap out the balancer or is the balancer balanced as an assembly with the crank?

The control valve will bolt onto the steering gear but the old steering gear will not have as close of a ratio as the gear designed for the PS car (I dont think that is as big as the steering a deal)

Does anyone know if the PS pump to engine brackets will bolt onto the OEM strait eight block or will I need to drill and tap the holes for the new brackets?

Any other advice from someone who has done this mod before will be helpful!!!

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Bill

Posted on: 2015/3/31 18:28
Bill,

Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
What years/models did the Strait Eight come in?

Straight, not Strait. First production automotive Packard in-line or straight 8 was introduced in 1923 and in various configurations ran thru 1954.

Power steering introduced in 1953.

Posted on: 2015/4/1 8:52
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Power steering introduced in 1953.

That's what I thought too but somewhere I read PS was actually on some late 52s. I've never seen one up close but then looking at that plate from the parts manual I posted on the other thread and several individual piece listings from the parts manual it shows PS for 25th thru 54th series. Was it actually a late 52 intro like the 54 gear start or was there a PS kit for 52s made available similar to the power brake kits for 51s. I recall no mention of a kit in the counselor articles but then there are all those dealer and zone memos we don't have copies of.

Posted on: 2015/4/1 9:09
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I read PS was actually on some late 52s.

I can't ever recall reading that from any authoritative source, but it would have been easy for a dealer to convert a 51/52 car. A cylinder head modification or exchange for a 53/54 head might have been involved; my memory is pretty thin on my 54 with PS but I think I recall an extra drilled and tapped hole in the head for the pump support bracket. Note the bronze diagonal bracket in this 5479 photo, courtesy of "GTO".

Attach file:

jpg  (126.20 KB)
177_551c00dacde27.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2015/4/1 9:27
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I can't remember where I read that and it could have been one of those magazine articles that get half the facts wrong. It does seem strange that Packard would have listings in the parts manual for a piece to "use with power steering" and then call out certain 25th chassis numbers along with the known years if something official wasn't offered.

The bracket for 54 was changed by the addition of the brace and I believe some heavier metal. I don't recall where it bolted either but for the conversion on the car this thread is about it might be good to do something similar if it can be done by bolting to an existing place or hole. IIRC the brace was added and bracket revised slightly because of excess vibration and cracks developing in some of the 53 brackets.

Posted on: 2015/4/1 9:39
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Someone said that the engine mounts of the 52 were relocated from the front of the engine to the sides of the block and this allowed for the installation of the PS brackets up front.

I have the head off so swapping for a later year head would not be excessively painful if that hole helps -OR- I can drill and tap one if necessary.

Does the generator of a 52 have two grove pulley and/or will that pulley install on the 49 generator?

If so I might could install the two pulley onto the existing generator and then run a second belt over to the PS pump? The existing belt is surprisingly wide so I bet it could drive both a PS and generator.

Another option regarding the drive belt of the PS and generator is...if a generator can run backwards and still generate electricity I can mount the PS pump next to the generator and then I can run a very long slotted V belt around both the PS pump and the generator pulley and then it can run both.

Pictures of an actual install would be super helpful.

THANKS!!!

Posted on: 2015/4/4 20:28
Bill,

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
1951 and later models used a narrower fan belt than earlier cars, so generator and crankshaft pulleys are different and the crankshaft pulley is also a different diameter. Vehicles with power steering had an extra groove on the crankshaft pulley that drove the pump directly with its own dedicated belt.

Posted on: 2015/4/4 21:10
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved