Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
225 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 224

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Turn Signals
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I decided to install turn signals on the 115C. Lately, it seems every time I stuck my arm out to signal someone would wave back. One time it was a cop!

I got the turn signal kit from Mac' Auto Parts. They specialize in early Ford parts. The kit is for 6-volt and positive ground applications. I needed to find signal lights for the front and back. I settled on some small motorcycle accessory lights with amber lenses for the fronts. I was able to use the stock tail lights for the rears. No permanent modifications were made.

On the rears I removed the stock bracket which mounted two bulbs, one for tail/license light and another for stop light. I used an #1154 bulb which is a 6-volt dual filament indexed bulb to replace the two stock ones. I bought some sockets made two brackets to mount the bulbs, similar to the stock bracket. I centered the bulbs in the lenses. I also sprayed a bright metallic paint into the housings for better reflection and made reflectors to fit around the bulbs for more illumination.

The small accessory motorcycle lights came with small dual filament 12-volt bulbs. I was able to locate some small #1006 6-volt dual filament indexed bulbs from Mac's.

Once the rear tail light housings were modified, the front lights installed, and the turn signal switch mounted on the steering column all that was left to do was connect all the wiring. I used the existing rear tail light wiring for the tail/license lights and ran a new wire to each side for the turn and stop lights. I also ran new wires to the front lights. I have one side of the front lights I am not using, and may wire them so they will be on when the engine is on to have running lights. After Salado.

The pilot light for the switch came with a #53 12-volt bulb. I was able to find some #51 6-volt bulbs from a source that sells vintage electric train parts. The InterWeb is amazing.

The switch also has emergency function so all the lights will blink. I wired the turn signals to a hot lead so I can have emergency blinkers without having to leave the key on.

I am pleased with the way the job turned out. Mostly impressed with how bright the lights are. Very bright for 6-volt system. I will now feel more confident in traffic.

Here are some photos showing the signal switch mounted, the front motor cycle lights mounted next to the fog lights, and the inside of a tail light housing.

(o{}o)

Attach file:

jpg  (86.53 KB)
565_551cb2058e677.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (81.25 KB)
565_551cb221e7fd4.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (75.51 KB)
565_551cb237884b3.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2015/4/1 22:22
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Re: Turn Signals
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Nice job - thanks for posting.

Posted on: 2015/4/2 9:49
 Top  Print   

Re: Turn Signals
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi JW

Good Job! As simply as a matter of self-preservation, installing turn signals should be a common practices for anyone with a car built before they became factory installed. Drivers today no longer know or understand hand turn signals, its just plain dangerous to assume they do.

Thanks for showing how well it can be done and not detract from the original appearance but be perfectly functional.

Steve

Posted on: 2015/4/2 12:01
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved