Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (136 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 219

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 1923 Packard
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ken Partney
See User information
I found the frame number, 117538,,,the firewall number is 117549,,, I haven't found the engine number, shouldn't it be on the block casting? I appreciate all the help I'm getting, you Packard guys know how to make a guy feel welcome!

Posted on: 2015/5/10 10:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Hi Ken,

Congratulations on becoming a Packard owner and welcome to becoming a member of the "PackardInfo.com" gang. I live down the road from you in Simi Valley.

I own two Packards, a 1951 4 door deluxe sedan and a 1932 4 door 901 sedan.

Maybe we can get together sometime and talk Packard?

Posted on: 2015/5/10 17:40
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ken Partney
See User information
Thanks, I am anxious to establish the year and model. It's looking like it is a 1927, touring sedan. I guess back then you could order one with duel side mounts and a factory trunk rack??? I have DMV registration paperwork going back 45 years, it was mistakenly registered as a 1923. I really don't care what year it is, as long as i know for sure. The car is nice and it doesn't matter,,, like a nice lady, it doesn't matter who drove it before.

Posted on: 2015/5/10 18:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Ken,

The engine location that I gave you is based on a 6th Series model (1929), yours being an earlier model may have it stamped on the crankcase just above the cam cover at the front of the engine - above the generator area.

There doesn't seem to much doubt that you have a Fourth Series Sedan, the body number, ID plate and frame number all match.

The new model Packards were generally released around mid year, the Fourth Series Sixes were released on Aug 2 1926 and the model ran until July 1 1927 which is why, strictly speaking, Packards are identified by Series number rather than year. The numbers on yours being towards the end of the series, indicate that it would have been sold in 1927

These cars would have been available with wood, wire or disc wheels. The twin sidemount spares would have been an option that included a rear trunk rack.

The Fourth Series Sixes are fine cars that are very suited to touring at up to 45 MPH. I have a 1922 First Series that has a smaller engine than yours and we have toured it extensively over the lat 30 years.

Posted on: 2015/5/10 19:45
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ken Partney
See User information
Hello again David Down Under,

You were correct , I found the engine number right where you said it was. U117443E.Thanks Ken

Posted on: 2015/5/10 21:06
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ken Partney
See User information
Does the 283 prefix number on the body tag mean anything ?

Posted on: 2015/5/10 21:14
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ken Partney
See User information
Hello Marston,
That would be great. How long have you been into Packards?Ken

Posted on: 2015/5/10 21:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Ken,

The 283 prefix on the body number is the Packard number for a 426 5 passenger Sedan. So you definitely have a 426 Sedan which should allow you to register it with ID number, frame number and engine number, all matching - superb. I look forward to seeing photos.

All of this information is well documented, now let's see some photos!

David

Posted on: 2015/5/10 21:32
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Ken Partney
See User information
I will send one as found in the barn, let me know if the picture comes thru.

Attach file:

jpg  (40.32 KB)
23123_55501a900c9e1.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2015/5/10 21:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Ken,

What a great survivor, it looks too good to restore I hope it is as good as it looks. The disc wheels and side mounts really look good.

Reverting back to your first post regarding parts missing:

Clock: I believe yours has the oval shaped clock, they are not rare and come up on ebay regularly eg:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1929-PACKARD-hOLLYWOOD-MODEL-JAEGER-8-DAY-CLOCK-MOUNTED-/261818292411?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cf59618bb

Horn, Also not rare and come up on ebay occasionally.

Interior pull down shades. No idea where to find these however the various A Model Ford suppliers make these shades in a wide range of sizes and colors for the Sedans. they are probably not of a Packard standard but not too bad. Until you can find something better they are an inexpensive substitute.
eg:http://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_model_a/interior-parts-and-trim/rear-window-trim-and-hardware.html.

Posted on: 2015/5/11 5:36
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved