Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
229 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 228

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Why were running boards phased out?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
First, what was the last year that running boards appeared on Packards? Second, why were running boards phased out?

As always
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2015/11/19 14:08
 Top  Print   

Re: Why were running boards phased out?
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
The last year for exterior running boards on Packard was 1942. I suspect the reason was so that interior space could be increased.

Posted on: 2015/11/19 14:13
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
I hadn't thought about increasing the interior room as a reason for dispensing with running boards. I rather thought it had something to do with the war effort or a way to cut production cost.

Thanks for the info.
Garrett M

Posted on: 2015/11/19 14:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...why were running boards phased out?

Contemporary taste and aesthetics, awakening interest in aerodynamics and last but not least accident prevention. Running boards have been an archaic holdover of the times of horse-drawn carriages.
In the period of transition one could even choose between the concepts.

Attach file:

jpg  (17.70 KB)
757_564e286e86cf6.jpg 500X188 px

Posted on: 2015/11/19 14:46
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Aesthetics. Look at the 1941 ads for juniors - shown 2 tone, no running boards, painted headlight rims, feather

Posted on: 2015/11/19 15:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
More modern streamlined styles to envelope body features were fast becoming the fashion in the late 1930s. Running boards were made obsolete with fenders blended into the body and lower floor boards. Note that the 20th-21st series Clippers and the 22nd and 23rd series Packards all had what could be called abbreviated running boards. We did not see something like them again until they started to be fitted to pickups and SUVs. Now they were called steps.

I sometimes wish my 115C convertible coupe did not have running boards. They make entry and egress difficult. They are wide and pose more of a problem than help. Also, the car is not high enough to warrant them. Using them to get in or out is not comfortable, nor is stepping over them. The shortened top just adds to the problem. One must watch his head.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/11/19 17:20
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
The '46 and '47 Packards had a quasi running board, no mats or markings on them but the door and body had a slight molding of a running board. The '48 did away with them completely.

Posted on: 2015/11/19 22:27
[url=http://packardinf
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
I had no idea that running boards were a hold-over from the horse-and-carriage days. I guess it stands to reason that since early cars were called "horseless carriages," their styling borrowed heavily from carriages.

as always
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2015/11/20 10:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Deskdriver wrote:
The '46 and '47 Packards had a quasi running board, no mats or markings on them but the door and body had a slight molding of a running board. The '48 did away with them completely.

I guess I did not make myself clear. The quasi running boards I was referring to in the 41-47 Clippers and 48-50 Packards were those covered by the bottom of the doors. They were rubber covered and had "Packard" molded in them.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/11/20 11:43
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Something else contributed to the demise of the running boards. For decades racing cars had eliminated running boards to reduce weight and improve aerodynamics. As noted by other responders, American tastes in design were moving toward more modern appearance, which corresponded with the concept of greater speed and performance. By the late 1930s higher-end cars like Packard and Cadillac had hydraulic brakes with better stopping performance. Horsepower was also increasing. More paved roads meant cars could travel at higher speeds safely. As mentioned before, running boards were an anachronism. That is one of the reasons the new 1941 Clipper was such hot car for Packard -- it looked modern and sleek, even if it did share a lot of components from the 120.

Running boards are still around on late model SUVs and on those vehicles, they make a lot of sense. With their higher centers of gravity, floor boards, and seating, running boards -- some of which extend out when a door is opened and retract when doors close -- assist drivers and passengers with ingress and egress from the vehicle.

Posted on: 2015/11/20 14:01
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved