Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
223 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 221

DJP-37-120, Jack Vines, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Re: Motor/transmission removal and reinstall, 48 coupe
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
I checked with Les Schwab Tires, an excellent place to take old cars, and they said you can't use bias tubes with radial tires. It has to do with the construction of the tubes and perhaps the chance of chaffing because radials flex more. Whatever it is, their warranty (which is very comprehensive) requires that radial tubes be used with radial tires. However, radial tubes may also be used with bias tires.

Radial tires make driving my Packard so much easier, especially on poorly paved roads. I ordered Black Diamond radials with the extra wide white wall (special order, takes a few weeks more) here:
http://www.dbtires.com

Posted on: 2017/1/3 13:51
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

austinsailor
See User information
I bought a set of Calli wide white wall tires in 235 75 15, 4" whitewall. I have them, they look good, but time will tell more when I get them on the road. They are similar to Diamondback, but about 60% of the cost. I guess I'm the Guinea pig, I couldn't find anyone who has tried them.

I have been happy with the Diamondbacks I put on my Desoto Airflow, but $700 for a set delivered is better than $1100 for a set delivered.

After I get them on the road I'll report back. My plan is to mount them tubeless on freshly sandblasted and painted rims.

Posted on: 2017/1/3 13:58
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
....they said you can't use bias tubes with radial tires

They are correct, sound advice!

Posted on: 2017/1/3 16:32
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

austinsailor
See User information
Parts from "Then and Now" showed up, including those studs, radiator hoses, fuel hose to fuel pump (all correct), fuel pump and carb kits (look correct), pan and manifold gaskets.

Wife came down with a medical issue we will be dealing with full time for a while, so it'll be a bit before I get to assemble this pile of stuff.

Posted on: 2017/1/5 12:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Sorry to hear about your wife, good plan for now.
Wes

Posted on: 2017/1/9 12:39
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

austinsailor
See User information
Back on track again. My wife is doing fine, I don't have to be full time caretaker now so I get to slip off and mess with the Packard from time to time.

Was cleaning it up to paint and for some reason put a wrench on it and turned it over - opps - wouldn't go all the way. Pulled the head and it appears thatsome of the heavy carbon build up worked loose and was stopping one or two pistons from going over the top.

Cleaned it all out, found there were standard pistons with nearly no ring ridge, which is consistant with the 29K miles we thought was on it. That and the timing chain with no play at all says it is as we thought.

Got it back together this afternoon and painted it. Looking good.

I do have a question. Pictured is the serial number. Is there any significance to the "CE" at the end of the motor number?

Attach file:

jpg  (39.31 KB)
2522_588e831dd7160.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (39.74 KB)
2522_588e8331d008c.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2017/1/29 19:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
CE means your engine has some differences from engines shipped at the start of assembly or when the original specs were published.

Attach file:

jpg  (113.05 KB)
209_588e8510f2a6a.jpg 588X1672 px

Posted on: 2017/1/29 19:13
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

austinsailor
See User information
Thanks. This sounds like a good thing.

I've got to get serious now and get the Packard together. I bought a guys micro cars and a truck load of parts - my shop is going to get real full real quick!

Posted on: 2017/1/29 21:17
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved