Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
162 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 161

Big Ben, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

5th Series Front end alignment
Home away from home
Home away from home

rrhorton
See User information
Does anyone know the specs for the front end alignment for a 1928 526 5 pax sedan?

Posted on: 2017/1/18 14:05
 Top  Print   

Re: 5th Series Front end alignment
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No doubt you've already browsed the owner's manual, the only thing I see mentioned there is toe in of 1/8". I'll scout around some non-Packard industry reference books to see if I can find more specifics.

Posted on: 2017/1/18 14:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
I hope you can read the table, the original is very small print. I have used this for three 1920's Packards and they all required significant correction. In each case I took the axle to a heavy truck repair facility and they set the king pin inclination relative to the spring pad bases. On one of the cars I attempted to check the set up at home and decided it was OK. That car never tracked well, needing constant minor correction to keep it straight on a good road. I removed the axle, had it checked and it was out of spec. After resetting the car tracked perfectly.

Attach file:

pdf Size: 360.05 KB; Hits: 65
pdf Size: 224.63 KB; Hits: 68

Posted on: 2017/1/18 15:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
What you want is the May 15, 1928 Packard Service Letter (Vol. 2, No. 10).? The feature article is entitled "Front Wheel & Axle Alignment" and covers all needed specs (including caster, camber, toe-in, etc.) for 526/533 and earlier models.? I've requested a copy from a private collection but am leaving for some sunnier climes for a week; if you still need it when I get back I'll get you the info.

PS - from the Service Letter:

--? Toe-In - 1/8 inch
--? Caster - 1 degree
--? King Pin Inclination - 8 1/2 degrees
--? Camber - 1 1/2 degrees

Posted on: 2017/1/18 18:12
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved