Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
199 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 198

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Conner ave plant
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Not at all. Good work.

Posted on: 2017/3/16 14:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Okay, after all these years we still have a lot of myths and speculations about the Conner Avenue Packard Plant. Mr. Pushbutton wrote a fine story some time ago for The Packard Cormorant magazine, the glossy publication of the Packard Club. There was good information in that article and nice photos. You may still be able to obtain that back issue by going to the Packard Club website.

Anyway, in light of persistent myths and speculations, here are a few points...

? The Conner Avenue was NOT one story. Why this myth persists is amazing. Yet it goes on and on and on. The assembly line itself clearly went upstairs and downstairs-similar to Grand Boulevard, just more spread out on one level but certainly more condensed (if this makes any sense). There were also walking stairs and at least a couple of elevators. I have a complete large foldout (about 5 feet long) layout of the assembly line and it shows great detail of the building. And you could clearly see from the outside that Conner Avenue Packard Plant was certainly more than one story.

? The plant was not poured reinforced concrete construction as the Grand Boulevard plant was. It was largely girders and unreinforced masonry. As someone who has lived in earthquake central of southern California, I can tell you this stuff doesn't have to be specially demo'd since under the right conditions it will simply fall down! So unlike Grand Boulevard, of course it did not take long to demolish Conner-although I do remember it being more than just a month. In fact, there was a brick tower that continued (for whatever reason) to stand long after most of the plant had been cleared. No idea why this went on but it was a fact.

? The end of the newly-cleared land at Conner Avenue was largely turned into a mall. And yes, as Roger said, it is generous to think of it as we think of malls in general today-large-because it wasn't. However, it wasn't a mere strip mall either. The mall was anchored by Crowley's Department Store. And if you are an old Detroiter, you would know that Crowley's was nothing to sneeze at. In the 1940s-50s, the three big department stores in downtown Detroit were J.L. Hudson's, Crowley's and Kern. The Crowley's store erected at East Warren Avenue and Conner was a rather handsome multi-story structure. If anything it was too grand for the area. And yes there was a supermarket as well. So this was not your typical strip mall. Diagonal to this mall (and frankly one of the reasons it was put here) was a very controversial public housing complex with a checkered history. In those days there was substantial population in the area and they had no place close to do shopping. For a while, this mall served that purpose. It became known as "Warren-Conner Shopping Center"...but the name may have changed over the years. I don't believe that all of the buildings that once existed on this site are still there today. There were other stores too.

? I guess I should also point out that due to the cramped confines of the Conner Avenue Packard Plant... and due to quality control issues there was yet another building somewhere along Conner Avenue, close by, that served to hold and repair cars that had serious problems that just couldn't be addressed at the regular plant. These vehicles were hustled over to this building where they received special attention for whatever problems they were having. How do I know this? Because my aunt's former boss told me so in the 1970s when I interviewed him. And I still have my notes. Unfortunately, I failed to ask for the address of this stealth building. Dare I say this was first-hand information? Nah. better not. Let's call it "fingerpainting"...

My family's music store and later restaurant were located at 12718 East Jefferson, not far from Conner Avenue. There were no cross-town freeways in those days. So we very, very often drove past the Conner Avenue Packard Plant site. Saw it come and saw it go. My dad had commercial property on Mt. Elliot not far from Grand Boulevard... so we drove past that Packard Plant too on a regular basis. I got to know both well. One of my aunts was a secretary for a man who oversaw both plants at one point. I started collecting things about them a long, long time ago. And I still have good memories.

It is unfortunate that Conner came about as it did, with the company president's hands tied. But I still remember how people were wowed when those first V-8 Packards rolled out of that plant and onto the streets of Detroit. And when I look at these cars today, I am still in awe of their beauty and incredible technology. And I still believe that if Jim Nance's 1957 models had been allowed to be built, Packard's legacy would have been a very different one.

And now... for your viewing pleasure...

Attach file:

jpg  (364.81 KB)
1249_58cddc5e6969e.jpg 1920X1412 px

Posted on: 2017/3/17 10:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

55Packardconv wrote:
Leeedy and Mr. Pushbutton are the guys you want to talk to about Conner. Leeedy grew up in the area, and Mr. Pushbutton did an article for the Packard Club's "The Packard Cormorant" magazine on the topic. There isn't a lot of material out there on Conner; but what there is, they would know about it.

Thanks. Actually I only lived in Detroit's east side up until I was about 9 or so and not so close to Conner. But with owning businesses in the area, we were there often. I actually grew up most of my formative years on the northwest side near Palmer Park.

In the days of the Conner Plant, northwest Detroit was like being on another planet. There were no cross-town expressways, so everybody drove surface streets for the most part to get around. A trip from my house to my uncle's store was a lonnnng trek. But we did so on a regular basis. And a DSR bus ride was like an endless journey. I can recall more than once falling asleep on the way home from East Jefferson and ending up at the end of the line in the middle of nowhere!

It was a very different world then... and of course a very, very different city.

Posted on: 2017/3/17 12:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
I guess my second question is why did managment move the production for 55 into Conner instead of using the East Grand Blvd plant-or just used Conner for making the bodies and have the cars assembled at East Grand Blvd?

Posted on: 2017/3/24 5:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm sure others will come along and give you chapter and verse but essentially Nance was sold by Ray Powers and others on the efficiency that would result from combined operations in a more modern, mostly single story assembly line which were beginning to become the standard for new auto production plants. Most historians call the advice to move to Conner as ill-advised.

Have you considered reading some Packard history? The Kimes-edited book gives considerable coverage to the 55/56 Packard era including the move to Conner and it's consequences.

Posted on: 2017/3/24 8:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Been awhile since reading it but as I recall James Ward's The Fall of the Packard Motor Car Company is another book that will give some insight into reasons and decisions around the Conner move.

Posted on: 2017/3/24 8:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
One of the main things conveniently overlooked, swept aside, or just plain not even considered by most of the retellings of Packard's end is the Conner/Briggs situation. Many histories make it appear as if this was just some kind of spendthrift willy-nilly decision on the part of Jim Nance. While Nance is often conveniently blamed for just about everything bad that happened... and Conner next... the reality is this: one way or another the former Briggs Conner Avenue plant was going to be married to Packard. Whether anybody liked it or not. And there was nothing that anyone could do about this-no matter how brilliant they might have been.

? Briggs was purchased by Chrysler and announced to Packard (at the worst possible time with the Studebaker merger and brand-new V-8 and revised Packards about to debut) that they were no longer supplying bodies.

? Chrysler would lease the Briggs Conner Avenue plant to Packard (at a premium rate) whereby Packard could make its own bodies, BUT... Packard making its own bodies in a leased plant was nowhere in the same ballpark as merely buying bodies from an existing company. Packard would have to take on the entire overhead of that plant-yet only for bodies? Remember, Briggs was making bodies there for other car companies as well.

? The logistics of having bodies made on Connor Avenue... then shipped to Grand Boulevard was always a daunting one, but now Packard was being forced into making their own bodies... in a high-expense leased plant...then shipping them over to Grand Boulevard... then doing assembly. And with the entire Briggs body plant on Conner ONLY making Packard bodies, how could anyone possibly justify the enormous cost of operations there for just Packard?

The reality is that no choice at the time was a good one, but something had to be done. Jim Nance and the Packard board had options that really were not exciting ones-no matter which they chose. The situation was that Nance was already trying to perform miracles, when this gigantic load got dumped on his shoulders at the very last minute. Something had to be done very fast. Continuing to stay at Grand Boulevard was certainly one option, but at what cost? And what advantage given the situation?

The "choice" of Conner Avenue versus remaining at Grand Boulevard will likely be debated forever, but Jim Nance had no twinkling star alternatives at the time. He was in an almost no-win situation when it came to plants. He was damned if he did... and damned if he didn't. But I assure you, he was very heartbroken over the outcome-and I don't believe he ever got over it.

Posted on: 2017/3/24 9:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Leedy--all good, salient points. In the photos I have of the plant taken in 1953, after Chrysler took ownership of the plant there is nothing but Packard work being performed there, and the operation is very luxuriously spread out, with huge aisles between lines. There isn't a whiff of any work for any other customer visible in the photos.
I could be 100% wrong in this memory, but wasn't there something in the AQ book (AKA "Kimes" book-erroneously) about Packard sending all of their body making equipment to Briggs at one point just after the war, on a handshake--with no paper trail, then having no body making equipment, and faced with the possibility of having to buy all new presses and equipment the lease and operation of the former Briggs Conner facility (full of the right equipment) was their only card to play to obtain bodies? I guess the auctions that would have taken place after the fall of the house of Packard would be an important piece of evidence that way. If there were no auctions of body stamping presses, etc. it could be that Chrysler just took them and moved them to other facilities like Mound road. When I worked at the Chrysler museum one of our stalwart volunteers was a retired production supervisor at Mound Road stamping. He told me that Chrysler had a standing order with Fisher Body/GM to buy any used presses that they were done with, so basically Chrysler's new presses were the ones GM didn't consider good enough any more to turn out quality work. I think they would have jumped to have Packard's presses and machinery.

Posted on: 2017/3/24 10:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Ahh... thanks (and that's Leeedy with 3 e's) It remains unknown what Briggs was producing in total at Conner Avenue at the time Chrysler took over. Documentation or not. While full body production was certainly Packard, I don't think anyone knows what everything was that Briggs was doing there.

But I do know this:
? Briggs had offices there and a lot of things were going on in those offices. And Briggs also had an entire styling studio and staff of designers on salary (I believe run by Al Prance). I know at least part of the latter existed at Conner-no matter how big or small-prior to Packard.

? Briggs was also making components, not just full bodies at Conner during the time of Packard bodies. I am certain of this because they used to have truckloads of these pressed metal panels coming out of there that looked like firewalls-possibly for trucks. I vividly recall seeing truckloads of them on Warren Avenue, painted matte black.

I also remember well that during the move to Conner a huge low-boy truck carrying heavy plant equipment was making its way east (from Grand Blvd.) to Conner. Forest and Warren were one-way streets back then. Warren became 2-way at McClellan and most of Forest's eastbound traffic shunted over to Warren Avenue aT McClellan. I remember this truck attempting to make the left turn there got stuck on the corner. It was too long and too heavy to make the turn easily. So for the better part of a day, everything came to a stop at that intersection until they finally got the truck around this turn. I remember on one corner was a shoe repair shop whose front entryway was damaged. Directly opposite of this was Borin Brothers Ice Company (big in Detroit back then).

Anyway, for what it's worth.

Posted on: 2017/3/24 11:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
Wasn't Conner (either under Briggs or Chrysler) also producing the last of the "Step-down" bodies for Hudson? There's some mention in the Crestline Hudson history book and photos showing trucks transporting incompletely trimmed Hudson bodies to the Hudson plant (the one GM bought at bargain basement rates and where the 1956 Cadillacs were produced following the GM renovation.

In my opinion, the first big error in the Packard demise saga occurred when Briggs was awarded the contract to build Packard's bodies in the early 1940s. Soon thereafter, Briggs asked for a price increase and things would never be the same on East Grand again. The war production push merely masked the odor of a very bad deal until the seller's market dissipated later in the decade. Multi-stories or not, I suspect most of us would have supported Packard-built bodies continuing to come out of the recently re-tooled and renovated dual line East Grand plant. Bad advice be damned, hindsight is often twenty twenty.

One other thing that several of you with Packard production order documentation might answer; both of my 1956 In-transit/bill of lading show notations of "WAS sales". Does anyone know what that might mean? This also appears on other people's documents for their cars.

Posted on: 2017/3/24 13:05
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved