Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
218 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 217

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Where is the CTS in my 53 Clipper?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Brenda
See User information
I'm changing the upper radiator hose housing gasket tomorrow and wanted to know where the CTS is? Maybe I'll just buy a new one.

Posted on: 2017/5/12 22:51
1953 Packard Clipper Deluxe
She starts on the first crank in the morning and purrs like a kitten all day.
 Top  Print   

Re: Where is the CTS in my 53 Clipper?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I am not familiar with the CTS abbreviation unless that stands for cooling thermostat which would be associated with the housing gasket change. The thermostat is inside the metal housing bolted to the head which the radiator hose attaches to. In the 53 it is held inside the housing by a wire spring retainer which grabs some small bumps in the housing.

Here is an older engine photo showing the location. Yours is in the same place but looks a bit different. The retainer on yours is a single piece of shaped wire rather than the wide sleeve like piece.

If that is not what you are asking about please elaborate.

Attach file:

jpg  (20.37 KB)
209_59168594e62f8.jpg 542X494 px

Posted on: 2017/5/12 23:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brenda
See User information
Thank you. It stand for coolant temperature sensor, most newer cars have them. I wonder if my Clipper has it too.

Posted on: 2017/5/13 8:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
....most newer cars have them

So do older cars, if you have a temperature gauge you have to have some type of sensor. The temperature sensor on your car is an electric resistance unit, it is threaded into the rear of the cylinder head on the driver's side. No doubt HH56 will be along shortly with an illustration.

Posted on: 2017/5/13 8:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
No doubt HH56 will be along shortly with an illustration.

O_D knows me too well and I can't resist such an invitation. I got into the illustration habit when another poster once said he was a visual, not a word guy and for him it was better to post a picture instead of trying to describe something. I try to do both but am frequently short on the photos and way too long on the words.

Here is the CTS but it is not something routinely changed. If the temp gauge does not work at all or if the reading is way out in false territory, after some tests it might be the item needing to be replaced but otherwise just let it be.

Attach file:

jpg  (35.86 KB)
209_591710d8bd3b0.jpg 644X616 px

Posted on: 2017/5/13 8:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
In the old car world we would just call it the Temp Sender, oil pressure sender and fuel level sender.

Posted on: 2017/5/13 9:11
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brenda
See User information
Thank you so much for the advice. I just thought that since it had probably not been changed in years I'd do it. But OK if not necessary. I changed the thermostat today and gasket. What could go wrong? Easy job. I won't even tell you guys but I learned a lot. #1 pay attention. That's all I'll say.

Posted on: 2017/5/13 22:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brenda
See User information
And I love your photos! We are all so lucky to have you.

Posted on: 2017/5/13 22:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
Sounds like you're lucky, not uncommon to break one/both of the t-stat bolts when removing. On replacing the sensor just because....then you might as well replace everything else on the car just because. I recommend replacing items that, if they fail, can cause catastrophic consequences like dry rotted tires or a t-stat etc.,otherwise leave well enough alone

Posted on: 2017/5/14 1:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brenda
See User information
Nope, didn't break the bolts. It was all fixable, just took an hour more. Yes, I will take your advise and not replace anything unless it breaks. I did replace the thermostat. There was a 160 degree in there and I replaced the 160. Napa wanted me to get the 180. Your thoughts. I called the previous owner and he said he never had any issues with the 160.

Posted on: 2017/5/14 8:37
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved