Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
221 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 219

Packard Don, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Opinion How Far gone is to far gone??
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Geezer
See User information
I am picking up A 1940 110 4 door sedan missing a few parts like the small grills on the front, bumpers , 2 door handles, trunk hinges some of the trim but motor runs trans works and the big thing is the front floors are gone and a few spots on the bottoms of the doors are very rusty but fenders are good running boards are good and surface rust on most of the car
So thoughts on this

But I am a metal fab guy so no biggie on that end

Posted on: 2018/1/1 21:14
John Monaghan

1937 115C 4 door under restoration
 Top  Print   

Re: Opinion How Far gone is to far gone??
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Being a metal fab guy, IMO 50% of the hard part is taken care of because you can do it and at your own pace and not have to pay to have it done like most of us would need to do. While replacement sheet metal panels of a sort are available, one potential issue is the structure below them and that could determine more about whether the car is worth taking on. If the frame structure proves usable then unless you are also a talented interior and paint guy those will probably be the major expenses to tackle.

The mechanical portion, if present and mostly functional, is a large part which could still throw a curve but at least if working you have a good start. Electrical is fairly simple and looms are readily available and not at terrible cost. Not too much brightwork to worry about so the items found missing so far are relatively minor and should not be a huge problem or expense to find.

Posted on: 2018/1/1 21:56
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Geezer
See User information
Thanks for your thoughts and input HH56
I am not a bad painter or body work guy so. Not to worried on that end I built ground up custom motorcycles for many years. Parts seam to be the big pain in the butt

Posted on: 2018/1/1 22:47
John Monaghan

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You might send a PM or email to David Flack (flackmaster) and see what he thinks about parts availability. He specializes in the 110-120 models and may have or if not, could probably direct you to someone who might. Ebay also seems to periodically have a lot of 110 items. John Ulrich is another who deals in original and also has some repro items made for those models.

flackmaster at sbcglobal point net

http://julrichpackard.com

Posted on: 2018/1/1 23:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Geezer
See User information
Sweet I will check in with them and see what they can do
And Thank you for the info and encouragement

Posted on: 2018/1/2 0:39
John Monaghan

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Packard parts are a pain in the butt compared to "catalog cars" like 55-57 Chevy, Model A, etc. That said, the trim parts for a 40 Junior are not that difficult by Packard standards. The big volume (by Packard standards) 110 and 120 use many of the same parts.

As a previous poster noted, a correct interior is not cheap if this is required. Wool broadcloth, woodgraining, and repro molded plastic are all doable, but pricey, particularly compared to market value of a 110 closed car.

Only mechanical quirk is the column shifter and its funky tendencies if worn. There's a lot of info on it in prior threads.

Posted on: 2018/1/2 9:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
What more to say - a rusty 40 Packard 110 is a moneypit. If you have more skills than money, enjoy. If you want to get "creative" go for it. No one will crucify you for resurrecting something that would otherwise become either a parts car, or scrap. One specific item to look at, the lower front door hinges are a PITA, not reproduced, so if you are worried, plan on buying your machinist friend some dinner while you weld in some reinforcement. Beyond that, pretty much everything is available.
I'd be happy to send some door handles as a "Welcome to Packardinfo" gift, if you decide to take on the challenge.

Posted on: 2018/1/2 15:41
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Geezer
See User information
Hey Flackmaster thanks for the welcome funny thing is I do have a good friend that is a master with a cnc but any ways my hinges seem to be fine but now you have me thinking about pulling one and having some made to offer others

Can use the door handles for sure

She's going to be a project but I love the challenge

Posted on: 2018/1/3 13:10
John Monaghan

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
stick to your project. if your hinges are good, move forward. there is no market beyond the next guy for the hinges.
PM me your address and I will send handles and whatever else I am in the mood to send. Post a couple pictures of your project for us...rattles our thoughts.

Posted on: 2018/1/3 14:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
John,
Go for it. You will not regret your 40 Packard. I started with a near basket case 39 Six Sedan and know the parts are out there.
You'll love driving your car; a nicely sorted six is a nimble, reliable, enjoyable machine.
Pat

Posted on: 2018/1/3 19:32
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved