Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
212 user(s) are online (134 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 210

Don B, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Engine knock
Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
My '55 had a sticking lifter issue, which made it noisy and rough running. I cured the problem with Marvel Mystery Oil.

Posted on: 2019/1/25 16:38
 Top  Print   

Re: Engine knock
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Although it sounds like a different type of problem on your car, I'll share this in case anyone else has something similar.

My 1951 Henney-Packard with the 5-main 327 had an odd knocking sound from time to time that was finally diagnosed as rod alignment. The bearings and wrist pins and all hydraulic lifters were checked several times yet the sound persisted and mainly at idle but would go away as soon as the engine was revved up just a bit. It was a heavier sound, more like a rod or bearing knock than a lifter tap but checking the rods themselves it was discovered that one was slightly non-symmetrical when laid down onto a flat surface so a simple replacement of that one got rid of the sound. Later I saw reference to this (which is where I saw the term "rod alignment") either in a Service Counselor or perhaps in a Motors manual.

Posted on: 2019/1/26 3:39
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved