Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
127 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 126

Ernie Vitucci, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Burned up high range clutch
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
This..

Looks like

Attach file:

jpg  (350.18 KB)
4498_5c5b7dc47870c.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2019/2/6 19:37
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Riki,
Yes that's it.

Thank you & HH.

Do you know if this is the original 55 Caribbean transmission?

Trying to find the numbering system for the transmissions.

Posted on: 2019/2/6 23:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Riki,

Is there any more stamped numbers to the left?

Attach file:

jpeg  (198.74 KB)
1220_5c5bb2af03d03.jpeg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2019/2/6 23:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
To the left is rough casting and end of case.

I'll have to ask. If original. Owner might not know.

It does have aluminum tail piece.

I think that bolt used as lever stop is tapped. Trying to figure out how to proceed on that.

If so the original pin won't work. Psw has 55 transmissions. But I'm still thinking 56 trans..

But. If it's not a Caribbean trans. Then torque converter is wrong too. Possibly.

Posted on: 2019/2/7 0:57
Riki
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
What does the owner say about the trans swap and what is the condition of the rest of the car as far as originality? Is this the one that had the accident at the auction and if so, any other major swaps or obvious changes?

If the owner wants to keep it original for monetary reasons, the fact it is a Caribbean rather than a more run of the mill model might lean a long way toward going thru the bulletins and rebuilding the 55 unit checking for and adding as many of the authorized updates as still possible. If it turns out it has the original trans then it would have some of the unique 55 Caribbean driving characteristics that Packard made with spring and valve changes. Replacing with another 55 unit and incorporating those changes might be worth considering.

A 56 trans would be a more refined unit overall and maybe the way to go for most cars but the all aluminum case, the stamped number, and even driving characteristics would be a dead giveaway to a purist at some point down the road. Not sure I would try mixing in 56 changes such as the torque converter to the 55 unit because of the other internal parts that would need to change to make the swap and possible other mismatches that were unforseen. Unless it is covered in a bulletin, think about the nightmare those changes would be setting up for anyone doing future repairs.

If rebuilding or replacing the original 55 unit is out I would vote for the complete 56 swap because at least it would be obvious and more easily reversible if someone did want to try and go back to an original as built car.

Posted on: 2019/2/7 9:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Owner.

Completely ok with 56 swap..not the same carribean...

The other a 56.. Still in shop. Shop can't figure out why no upshift in D.. The owner paid to have this shop do it..otherwise I would take care of it.

Posted on: 2019/2/8 0:00
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
I don't think this rear flange is correct.
Even the repair book show's 4 holes and a recess for trunion.

The trans case is ruined ..with that bolt used to stop lever.

But.. As far as original. You keep the 55 stuff..and tell the person buying the car. Here is trans that came with the car..

The car has a 56 trans.

If I had that car. I would turn it into a 56.. Go Negitve ground. .change front fenders to 56. The tl to 56.

Put in push button shift .

Make the trunk like a 56. Me. I don't care about resale. Someone else can put it back to 55.

Someone used different bolt for valve body. And other picture they used a stack of washers bolt was to long. The trans is far from original.

Attach file:

jpg  (217.22 KB)
4498_5c5d3d4043f54.jpg 1920X1080 px

jpg  (317.05 KB)
4498_5c5d3fe280bec.jpg 1920X1080 px

jpg  (224.96 KB)
4498_5c5d400e67d06.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2019/2/8 3:26
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Riki
very interesting journey into this trans. Will you please consider highlighting the subject of the pictures being posted?
I think there is a verbal description then that is followed up with a picture....I on the other hand have not been into my ultramatics and am not very familiar with their internal workings so I'm missing what everybody else sees. Maybe a piece of tape or a coin near the subject. Thanks.

Posted on: 2019/2/8 10:57
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information

The last post?.

The one picture shows a cadmium bolt. The other

Across from there is a stack of washers under bolt. Have to enlarge.

Yes bad picture..that red color is my Coors lite sign.

Posted on: 2019/2/8 16:11
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Riki,

That is one messed up Ultramatic.

I am still wondering about the Utica transmission number. It does not match any of the number sequence in the list.

Could you see if the grease and dirt to the left would come off to show any other stamped numbers? Would WD40 clean it off?

Posted on: 2019/2/8 16:37
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved