The Most Comprehensive Free Online Reference for Packard Owners
Become a member of Packard Motor Car Information, right now! (it's free)
Login
Username:

Password:

remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who's Online
52 user(s) are online (41 user(s) are browsing Packard Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 50

JW, dallas, more...

49 22nd Deluxe Sedan Locks
Quite a regular
From Boston, MA
Hello,

I have a question about the door locks on my Deluxe. Both are broken, keys turn but when I pulled off the drivers door card to fix the window I found the square rod sitting on the bottom of the door. I read through the manual and the threads it didn’t specifically see what I was wondering, and I don’t want to brake anything because the appearance of locks is better than nothing!

My question is, using the needle technique or similar, can I (or a locksmith)remove just the broken tumbler and then slot in a working one (without removing the whole latch assembly)? If that is the case, has anyone identified specifically a tool or needle that fits/works?

Attached is the picture of the broken rod.

Attach file:

jpeg  E4858CB6-DF8A-4FD2-AE49-43A1B65CA66F.jpeg (321.88 KB)
181869_5d8137766a45a.jpeg 2048X1536 px

Posted on: 9/17 12:44:34
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: 49 22nd Deluxe Sedan Locks
Home away from home
From Scottsdale, AZ
Good question about the ‘needle’. As I remember the square rod is attached to the lock cylinder with a joint that allows quite a bit of flexibility . . . make that too much flexibility. I’ve never attempted the ‘needle’ technique, but I would suspect it starts with pushing a needle from the outside of the car through the door panel/card, noting the location, and then at the same location pushing the needle from inside the car back through the latch. I believe the square rod has a dimple in the end that the needle will index into. The lock & rod and the needle are moved into position as one assembly, with a bit of teasing as the rod enters the latch.

Now here’s the good news, if you ‘zip tie’ (use a real small one) the stainless rectangular stock that reinforces a wind shield wiper blade to the square rod you can manipulate the rod as it approaches the latch mechanism. Once the rod engages you will still have enough room to extract the rectangular stainless piece. You’ll end-up with a ‘zip tie’ around the rod, but no needle hole in the door panel/card.
If the door panels/cards are removed you should succeed without the use of a needle.

Posts 45 & 47 of the following link illustrates what’s inside the 22nd/23rd series door latch
packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=19146&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=40

dp

Posted on: 9/17 16:22:12

Home away from home
Am I missing something here? If the door card is already off there is no need for elaborate procedures--just bring the shank into the latch as the tumbler is inserted into the door. Been quite a while since I have done it but I remember getting my hand up in there to guide it in.

Posted on: 9/17 16:53:25

Quite a regular
From Boston, MA
Ok, I think I was looking to confirm that the tumbler can be removed and I erred by hand, and there wasn’t some reason why the procedures needed to be used for alignment of the shaft or anything. Most threads are about more complicated situations (door permanently locked, broken latches, etc). I didn’t want to try pushing the lock out by hand and end up creating a problem.

Posted on: 9/18 8:18:25

[Advanced Search]

Search
Recent Photos
Packard Buffalo, Inc. (2019/10/18)
Packard Buffalo, Inc.
Packard Buffalo, Inc.
Packard Buffalo, Inc.
Packard Buffalo, Inc.
Packard Buffalo, Inc.
Random Photo
1936 Twelve Opera Coupe Driver Front
Helping Out
PackardInfo is supported and funded by user donations. If you would to help out by either donating content, or funds to help with the upkeep and hosting of this site please EMAIL ME or click on the donate button.