Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 144

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1955 Packard Caribbean steering / Torsion Leveling Suspension
Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Broken gear?

But. You have to hear clanking going on..when you turn engine.

Posted on: 2020/5/15 20:36
Riki
 Top  Print 

Re: 1955 Packard Caribbean Timing chain replacement manual
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

danharms
See User information
That is exactly what happened, Ross! No cotter pin and the lever broke the chain.

Val.

Posted on: 2020/5/24 23:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
That is the third time I have heard of that. V8 owners: beware of rebuilt fuel pumps without pivot pin retainers. Safety wire or even just a little bent up piece of sheet metal under the mounting bolt heads will forestall this.

Posted on: 2020/5/25 5:46
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

danharms
See User information
So, after the chain was replaced and obviously, fuel pump (BTW, it has new rubber diaphragm and I can use regular gas, right?), a loss of power was noticed. These are the results of compression test:
LEFT BANK
1 - 110
3 - 105
5 - 110
7 - 110
RIGHT BANK
2 - 50
4 - 75
6 - 75
8 - 55

Before the compression test the car was driven around 2mi after chain and pump replacement.

Prior to the chain change, the engine was cranked frequently, before the problem was found. All this time oil pump didn't work and there was no oil pressure. Can the problem be in hydraulic tappets in the right bank, since they are lubricated after the left bank?

I would appreciate any thoughts and suggestions... Big hope is not to take the head off...

Thank you!

Val.

Posted on: 2020/5/31 15:30
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

danharms
See User information
So, after the chain was replaced and obviously, fuel pump (BTW, it has new rubber diaphragm and I can use regular gas, right?), a loss of power was noticed. These are the results of compression test:
LEFT BANK
1 - 110
3 - 105
5 - 110
7 - 110
RIGHT BANK
2 - 50
4 - 75
6 - 75
8 - 55

Before the compression test the car was driven around 2mi after chain and pump replacement.

Prior to the chain change, the engine was cranked frequently, before the problem was found. All this time oil pump didn't work and there was no oil pressure. Can the problem be in hydraulic tappets in the right bank, since they are lubricated after the left bank?

I would appreciate any thoughts and suggestions... Big hope is not to take the head off...

Thank you!

Val.

Posted on: 2020/5/31 15:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Add a bit of oil to the right cylinders through the sparkplug holes and run a compression test again. Will tell if it is valves or ring.

Posted on: 2020/5/31 15:47
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure there would be so much delay in oil getting to the right side to be noticeable but if that is the case, a loss of oil pressure could cause the tappets to collapse. That would result in the valves not opening as far as the left side so I suppose it could be possible the right cylinders are not getting the same volume of air on the intake stroke as the left side and is the cause of the almost equal loss of compression. If the engine has been run they should have pumped right back up though unless there is some kind of restriction in a passage or gallery.

Even if the lifters are collapsed the valves should still be closing. An equal amount of valve leakage would seem unlikely on all 4 cylinders to be causing the issue. Seriously doubt all 4 rings are leaking an equal amount either for that to be the cause.

The rocker cover is easy enough to pull to view the valve action. Perhaps you could verify if they seem to be moving a decent amount or pull both covers and compare.

Posted on: 2020/5/31 16:54
Howard
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

danharms
See User information
Thank you, Howard! Will do.

Val.

Posted on: 2020/5/31 17:06
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

danharms
See User information
Thank you, Howard!

Val.

Posted on: 2020/5/31 17:08
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved