Happy St. Patty's Day and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
23 user(s) are online (16 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 23

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

$%&#ing Lifter Tick Again?!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
*EDIT* couldn't figure out how to embed video so here are 2 links:

https://youtu.be/RTmtZ6998OM

https://youtu.be/R_BMc9EfYkE

About 2 months ago I replaced all of the lifters & rods in my 1955 Patrician and after a few hiccups getting everything back together (a busted oil line) it has been running beautifully.

However....yesterday....there's lifter tick again. This time on the opposite side of the engine. I'll try to add some videos if I can. If not I'll post links to them on YouTube.

So what in the world could this be? Lash adjustment needed? Something fouling the lifter? Do I need to tear the top end down yet again? Is there something else I should have replaced as well that I overlooked?

It has the oils oil pump installed and yes there is enough oil in the engine.

Posted on: 2020/1/24 12:19
 Top  Print 

Re: $%&#ing Lifter Tick Again?!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

point
See User information
i would change the oil, put 15.40 grade in it, rotella,or mobil delvac , and try it before i would ever take a motor apart again, even a little STP after it warmed up ,thats what i would try,before i would ever take it apart again,thats alot of time and work, but thats just my opinion,im sure u will get plenty opinions ,,
Regards,Joe

Posted on: 2020/1/25 0:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Could it just be a bad lifter?

Could something gotten loose, and lodged in that lifter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWYycF-DpAA

Posted on: 2020/1/25 9:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
Ok, changing the oil and filter again is definitely something I'm ok with trying lol

But man, tearing down the top end again just to find one bad lifter...I'd rather have a root canal.

Posted on: 2020/1/25 10:33
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
I'm also wondering if I should have changed the valve springs, but after weeks of running fine I'm thinking something has fouled up the lifter internally. I doubt Max sent a bad one.

Posted on: 2020/1/25 10:36
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There would have been no reason to replace the valve springs as long as they tested within specification.

Posted on: 2020/1/25 11:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Valve springs don't cause lifter tick.

Plumb a 270-degree sweep manual oil pressure gauge on the oil filter supply line at the front of the engine and let us know the hot idling oil pressure.

Does the lifter click change with the oil filter supply feeding the gauge, so there's no oil pressure bypassing into the filter?

Are you certain the oil filter brass Weatherhead fitting with the restriction was correctly reinstalled?

jack vines

Posted on: 2020/1/25 12:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
Thanks, Jack! I'll check that today. Probably take the car out to the auto parts store to get it warmed up and report back.

Posted on: 2020/1/25 13:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
Just waiting on the oil pressure tester. Not a single autoparts store had one in my area. So Amazon it is.

Already tried to get the fitting off the front of the engine and boy is it in a totally pain in the butt location. Soaking it with PB Blaster since I couldn't budge it and hopefully it'll loosen up over the next 24 hours.

Nice thing about being out of work is I can work on this whenever I want lol.

Posted on: 2020/1/26 14:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Trevor
See User information
Anyone have any tips or suggestions on getting the line disconnected from the oil filter to connect a manual gage? I've had both the fitting connected directly to the engine and the fitting connected to the oil filter soaked in PB blaster for days and I just cannot get them to budge.

The lower one is nigh on impossible to reach.

I'm worried I'm going to end up stripping the nuts and creating a bigger problem.

Posted on: 2020/1/29 15:39
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved